13 10.7%

22 18.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Estonia-scaled.jpg

tuorem

My review:

ESTONIA 2020 - Uku Suviste - What Love Is: "It's apparently what we deserve in 2020".

Whevener I think of Estonia, it's so sad how I can't stop thinking about the unfortunate downfall of Eesti Laul since 2019, which coincided with the change of producer that occurred. EL was one of the best NF imo and overnight, it visually looked cheaper and poorer than any other selection show (and I mean it, even Moldovans with their consumer credits bring colours and heat on stage) while musically it reached the abysses of Melodifestivalen: all the diversity and indie quality that was the trademark of EL was replaced by a Spotify playlist made up of interchangeable songs that fall flat once they hit the stage. What a decline tbh!

So it's no surprise that, from the mediocre yawn-inducing lineup on offer, we had the EL winner we deserved for the second year in a row: frosty Ken and his mid-2000's Belarusian ballads. I doubt Uku has anything really interesting to offer on a musical level, even vocally he's not what I would call groundbreaking, but he's got that Russian-speaking Estonian community behind him and good for him. It's just that in 2020, I cannot settle for a song like "What Love Is", especially coming from Estonia. It's nothing but a stereotypical old-fashioned Belarusian ballad that tries to ride the "Scream" wave but fails to do so. The faint melancholy of the melody saves it from the absolute bottom of the pit in my personal ranking, but that's far from an endorsement as you may imagine. In hindsight, his entry "Pretty Little Liar" last year was stronger and catchier than this, too bad he couldn't sing it properly.

Prediction-wise, it was a non-qualification. Period. "What Love Is" is closer to "Stay" than "Color Of Your Life", no way the viewers would have favoured Estonia when Moldova, Poland, Switzerland and Albania had more compelling vocal ballads on offer, not to mention it got the death slot. And I wouldn't have been sad about it, if anything it would have been a blessing in disguise because Eesti Laul needs major changes at the moment imo.

It was the third Eesti Laul I followed from beginning to end, which means I had the pleasure to enjoy the greatness of the 2018 edition at least. I will cast a glance at the next lineup before considering watching next year though, if half the participants are the same again, this is not going to cut it. I'm not sure of what to think about the Nechayeva comeback rumour, actually I don't know what it would achieve really, apart from her getting some promo. By default, she would musically save the next edition if nothing changes, but her chances of winning again and doing as well as in 2018 aren't the greatest imo. I'd still be here for an album though. :)

Milos-BC

Much better than his 2021 entry which is quite bland and forgettable. This one had a soul and it was memorable. One of the best :ee: entries for me personally, and it would've gotten a great result. For this year's entry, I am not so optimistic.

10 points.

Top Bottom