Contact us

ESC 2017 news (production, pics etc.)

Chorizo

Some thoughts about the hosting:

The good:
The stage looks fantastic and offers great technical capabilities. The chandelier is indeed quite interesting.
The venue and the green room look fine as well.
I like the idea with the mannequin challenge for the postcards.
Technically things are okay.
I like the opening and interval acts.
The video with Verka was hilarious. It's nice to see beautiful footage of Ukraine.

Medium:
Not everything needs to be in bright blue and yellow just because we are in Ukraine. A different color scheme might have looked better.
Apart from the mannequin challenge, the postcards are the same as in various other years. It's just the artists doing random stuff. A theme like in Copenhagen would have been preferable.
The hosts are likeable. The jokes aren't worse than in other years. Nevertheless Petra is better and she had better script writers last year as well.
Timur's accent can be difficult to understand at times but at least he sounds charming. He shouldn't be the only one who talks in the green room.
When French was first spoken, it took me a few seconds to realize that what was being said was (meant to be) actual French and not a joke. Of course, it's always interesting to discover new local accents in Eurovision. ;)

The bad:
The typography is a big step in the wrong direction after Sweden's fantastic job last year. I understand that things need to be different this year and one way to achieve this is to use a minimalist design. The problem is that it really looked much better last year and the boxes shouldn't always be blue and yellow.
I miss the usual sound and lighting effects before the songs begin. We have had these since at least 2013. I'm not sure about 2012 now. In 2011, there was a heartbeat. In 2014, the sound and lighting was really great and similar effects were used in the last two years. I think they should have created an effect like this again. Just projecting colorful beads wasn't that interesting.

Overall Ukraine makes a good impression as the host. Every year there are things that could be better, so some criticism is normal. It's great to see that Ukraine is able to host successfully despite of the difficult situation the country has to deal with.

Ezio

Veteran
The following countries should never be in the same semifinal ever:

Romania and Moldova - exchanging 12 points no matter what
Greece and Cyprus - same
Serbia and Montenegro - same
Albania and FYROM - same
Denmark and Sweden - same
Denmark and Iceland - same
Czechia and Slovakia - :p
Turkey and Azerbaijan - ;)
Armenia and Azerbaijan - exchanging 0 points

RoSSerb

Banned
The following countries should never be in the same semifinal ever:

Romania and Moldova - exchanging 12 points no matter what
Greece and Cyprus - same
Serbia and Montenegro - same
Albania and FYROM - same
Denmark and Sweden - same
Denmark and Iceland - same
Czechia and Slovakia - :p
Turkey and Azerbaijan - ;)
Armenia and Azerbaijan - exchanging 0 points

Noooooooooooo ...MAC give 12 p SERBIA .
ALB WITHOUT FINAL.

AlekS

Veteran
Not a single year without Azerbaijan-Armenia drama.
Armenian commentator presented Azerbaijan in such way: "and here's another country with the song called "Skeletons". They didn't say a word about Dihaj. Moreover during Azerbaijani entry they reminded that Armenians celebrate 3 holidays (and 2 of them are connected with Karabakh).

GlamSIMorous

Am I the only one who felt like the arena was extremely empty and not really crowded? Especially with the camera shots from far away :?

Fierro

Am I the only one who felt like the arena was extremely empty and not really crowded? Especially with the camera shots from far away :?

1. Tickets are too expensive for local population, most of fans watch it in fan-zone.
2. Foreigners don't want to visit country with ongoing war conflict and terroristic threat.
3. Kyiv is among top-5 criminal capitals of Europe.

Thus so few people attend shows. :D

Vektor

Is the buzz around the ESC lower than last year? I mean, YT view counts of the SF performances are significantly lower than last year.

randajad

Veteran
The most impressive moment was Jamala's performance of Zamanyly. That was very beautiful.

Stiven

Is the buzz around the ESC lower than last year? I mean, YT view counts of the SF performances are significantly lower than last year.

On YouTube yes but, the viewership is still similar to last year and itunes and spotify also seem similar to last year. I guess it's because there is no visually heavy act in the first semifinal.
I'm not sure about facebook and twitter since I didn't follow them last year and I can't make a comparison this year.
It reminds a lot of 2011 where the viewership was still average but there was no buzz around it on youtube.

Vektor

Is it just me, or Italy was doing better around this time before the final in 2015 on iTunes? And I know that the automatic qualifiers usually don't get as many viewers on YT for their "SF performances" as the other countries, but Italy's view count still seems lackluster... I mean, isn't Italy the huge favourite to win the televote? Where's the hype?

Something isn't right here, I think this is a really close race, and not just between Italy and Portugal.

EvNickGR

Greece (Greek team in Kyiv) sent to EBU a protest letter/mail with complaints about the (very) bad organization. Fokas and EBU had agreed different things on stage, and 5 days before the rehearsals the EBU said that due to ''safety reasons'', the prop the Greek Team had agreed to bring on stage ( a big swing ) can not be implemented. Also the email to EBU has complaints about the camera work and lighting.

AlekS

Veteran
^ It seems Ukraine & Greece are the champions as for refusals. Fokas should have known like no other about that & safety.
I highly doubt that 30+ cameras couldn't provide good camera angles.
Also this is awesome how out of 20 frontal cameras you managed to choose the crappiest variant for the culmination.

As for swings. They won't allow anything like that. Loboda wanted to do a similar thing but she was refused with exactly the same reason. + scandals will make your position even worse. Gaitana used to play a picky diva when she didn't like her camera angles and they ruined her performance even more :lol:

EvNickGR

^ It seems Ukraine & Greece are the champions as for refusals. Fokas should have known like no other about that & safety.
I highly doubt that 30+ cameras couldn't provide good camera angles.
Also this is awesome how out of 20 frontal cameras you managed to choose the crappiest variant for the culmination.

As for swings. They won't allow anything like that. Loboda wanted to do a similar thing but she was refused with exactly the same reason. + scandals will make your position even worse. Gaitana used to play a picky diva when she didn't like her camera angles and they ruined her performance even more :lol:

When you agree on something 1.5 month BEFORE, and 5 days before rehearsals they say you can't do that, then it is unprofessional. Period. Did you see a perfect camera angle on our performance? No. Even with 100 cameras, would not work properly because there is no (good) organization, and I don't mean Ukrainians, but also the whole team (Swedish, Germans etc) who are supposed to be the best in their field. The camera work is bad and you can't deny that, not only Greece but other performances were not good.

GermanBango

When you agree on something 1.5 month BEFORE, and 5 days before rehearsals they say you can't do that, then it is unprofessional. Period. Did you see a perfect camera angle on our performance? No. Even with 100 cameras, would not work properly because there is no (good) organization, and I don't mean Ukrainians, but also the whole team (Swedish, Germans etc) who are supposed to be the best in their field. The camera work is bad and you can't deny that, not only Greece but other performances were not good.

That Greece's performance is really bad has nothing to do with the camera-work though, sorry dear.

Top Bottom