Contact us

Degression in quality this year?

A-lister

Veteran
muffin said:
your post is laughable. you honestly think people vote of the basis "the jury will like this so i'll vote for it" ?

I honestly don't care if you think my post is "laughable", if you can't discuss this in a grown up matter with respect for other people's opinion, then don't await a reply either.

I didn't say that people vote on the basis for what juries will like... if you didn't understand my point then i'm sorry.

Offcourse you don't have to agree but atleast show some respect.

A-lister

Veteran
VikingTiger said:
A-lister. I think you are way wrong in your analisis.
I have several argument to why I think you are wrong:

1 - I voted in our national final - for the song I liked the most. NOT thinking about juries... I am a eurofan, most of the people voting in Norway are NOT dedicated eurofans - and will not give any thought of "how judged will think". I know for sure that many people who voted in Norway are not even aware of the changing of the jury/televoting system.

Well, this obviously prove you didn't get my point. I didn't say that people vote for what they think the juries will like. I said that the broadcasters chose songs they think might work in ESC and I also said that to some extent people (unconsciously?) vote for a song they think might work aswell. Obviously people vote firstly for what they like

VikingTiger said:
2 - You claim that countries send entries that "will get some sort of success". So how do you explain entries like "Chiki-chiki" - the spanish people new it would never win? Or Dustin? Other joke-entries?

Ehm what? This has nothing to do really with my point.

VikingTiger said:
3 - Last year televoters and juries agreed on the winner. So why shouldnt they this year?

To some extent yes, but I never discussed this. If you actually read my post it had less to do with voting patterns (I don't understand why you discuss this so much?) and had more to do with songs chosen by broadcasters and why.

VikingTiger said:
4 - It is normal that the introduction of juries will give ballads a plus. Often it takes a ballad more than one listening to grow on you that a simple, dancable/singable song (at least I think so). But this will also be the same thing for ballads from every country.

This is true, but i'm not necessarily against ballads, i'm just against generic and oldfashion stuff. Obviously this is a matter of taste and therefor subjectively, as this whole discussion. Like I have already written, for people who like these type of songs, obviously they will not have a problem with the juries liking it. But again, I also like some ballads, but I guess I just don't agree with juries of what's a "good ballad".

VikingTiger said:
5 - There are western juries and there are eastern juries. And if you divide Europe into only two parts (the west and the east) - there will be more eastern juries. Why on earth should they promote only western booring ballads? Do you think "eastern juries" are getting paid from "the west"?

Actually Europe is so much more than east and west, personally I never liked this division BUT unfortunately there is one. I don't think that the juries are paid by "the west" lol, but I do think that they are following some sort of guidelines by EBU. This offcourse is just speculations.

VikingTiger said:
I think your analisis seems a bit paranoid... lol... But as you said - we are all entiteled to have our own opinions and viewings. But when you put it here - you have to except people commenting it and disagreeing.

Well call me paranoid if you want, I guess only the future will tell if there's some reality in my point or if it's just "paranoia". Offcourse people can disagree. Like I wrote people can think what they want about it. As long as people are reacting to it in a grown up matter I have no problem.

I knew that most people would indeed disagree, so I'm fully ready for that. But atleast I hope people will actually read what i've written and understand my point before commenting it. They don't have to agree offcourse, but it's useless to discuss something if people are unwilling to understand what I meant even.

DoctorX

It was kinda true though it really increased thanks to yesterday's selection imo :D and rest of the participants are strong ones. So it's too early to be pessimistic. :roll:

A-lister

Veteran
VikingTiger said:
A-lister. I rest my case. Obviously we don't agree at all. Or we don't get each other at all. Or both.

Actually I think we just don't really understand eachother on this one.

To be honest it's quite hard to explain my point of view as it's more some sort of "feeling" which obviously is harder to explain.

Oh well I tried atleast :lol:

aletem

I think people have higher expectations of this year, probably because last year there were a lot of good songs (2008 as well). It depends how people look at things. After the first 15-20 entries chosen this year, I found some good songs and as we approach to the end of the selection of the songs, it will be harder (or maybe even easier) to choose our favorites.
I am positive to say that it will be very hard to predict the qualifiers this year. Last year it was sort of easy to predict the outcome of the semis, but not this year.

94ayd

Unpredictable's always more interesting. Watching the qualifiers last year was so bad, as I had pretty much 9 predicted right in every semi (not to mention the hosts :lol: ).

hawadharma

TBH, This year's standard has increased.
Thanks to the diversity in the genres of music involved, and the songs are more 'modern' in a sense.

ParadiseES

I don't think there is a degression this year. I like more songs this year :ugeek:
But maybe it's because I'm "in a more optimistic" mood this year :mrgreen:

alca

Nice entries this year but still I haven't found an "WOW" factor.... :roll:
And I am not a fan of ballads. I like shows!! But I adore Sweden's entry! Stockholm 2011 please! ;)

ParadiseES

Yeah, yeah, many boring ballads this year, but there are many weak and poor up-tempo songs...

Anyway, I still think this is a very good year :)

Etl

Now that almost songs are known, I have to admit that the contest this year is rather uninteresting. Too many boring ballads and the only few up-temp songs are mediocre.
The only interesting thing is the predicting of the winner. I really can't bet on anyone!

alca

Etl said:
The only interesting thing is the predicting of the winner. I really can't bet on anyone!

That's what makes it so interesting! ;) Last year EVERYONE knew that Rybak is the winner before Norway decided to send him to Moscow! So we were wondering who's gonna be 2nd! :lol: This year we will be like ---> :shock: :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: :eek: during the voting! :mrgreen:

wittgenstein

alca said:
Etl said:

That's what makes it so interesting! ;) Last year EVERYONE knew that Rybak is the winner before Norway decided to send him to Moscow! So we were wondering who's gonna be 2nd! :lol: This year we will be like ---> :shock: :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: :eek: during the voting! :mrgreen:

yeah! i like that idea!
there where no suspension last year. but this year....

wittgenstein

alca said:
Nice entries this year but still I haven't found an "WOW" factor.... :roll:
And I am not a fan of ballads. I like shows!! But I adore Sweden's entry! Stockholm 2011 please! ;)

I LOVE YOU!

hechicera

Well... this year's ESC will be anyone's game. However I must notice that we're having a load of mediocre songs. Not too many that stand out in the crowd. :S

alca

^ But someone has to win!! This voting is going to be SO EXCITING!! [And this is where I would love the OLD VOTING PRESENTATION!!! :mrgreen: (please check the history topics and vote)]

hechicera

Exactly. It will be very difficult to predict a winner. It's going to be super exciting! :)

Top Bottom