He tells me I'm his angel, I'm his angel
Oh-oh-oh, el diablo, el diablo, oh-oh
I fell in love, I fell in love
I gave my heart to el diablo, el diablo

El diablo​

Last edited by a moderator:

HayashiM

Veteran
I don't really expect originality in Eurovision (although it's highly welcomed if done right), and most songs aren't very original anyways, but there is a difference between that and so blatantly copy a specific artist and sound as this one does.
This. That music video is not something you could just get vaguely inspired by and not remember how that happened. It's pretty much a 1:1 copy. You've got to make some actual effort to reach this level of similarity.

Same goes for the chorus. Of course, one can in theory write music that is somehow similar to something else, or be directly inspired by something half-forgotten in his mind without really consciously realizing. But you cannot write a chorus this similar to Bad Romance without knowing about it. This is one of the most played songs ever we're talking of, with over a billion replays on youtube. It is intentional, there's just no other way.

Personal opinions about Arcade aside, I think Duncan is right with this - though he shouldn't have voiced that opinion pre-contest, or at the very least not in the way he did. Elena is very sweet and the staging is top notch, but the music video and the song are the most blatant ripoff I have seen on Eurovision, even Moldova 2019 is beyond compare. I am absolutely ok if El Diablo reaches a high placement, but for this very reason, I think a victory would've been really undeserved.

HayashiM

Veteran
Unpopular opinion: Zara Larsson is completely irrelevant. She implied multiple times that Eurovision is below her so why are we even talking about this entitled brat?

We're talking about her, because Cyprus copied her music video for Love Me Land pretty much 1:1 and some people had the impudence to dare pointing it out. Seriously, did you guys even watch that video?

Loindici

Veteran
thats not true the love me land music video didnt have any head and shoulders shampoo in it

We shall be reminded of this beautiful atrocity:

EvByE02VkAEL8_v

I bims

Veteran
also who TF is Zara Larsson.
Swedish singer that tries to stay relevant based on controversy and "extreme opinions" like hating all men (while her most successful music is mainly produced by men) to gain attention. She admitted that recently. But people outside of Sweden still don't know or care much for her, so that strategy backfired and now she is for a more civil discussion online. What a stunner.

I bims

Veteran

GermanBango

We're talking about her, because Cyprus copied her music video for Love Me Land pretty much 1:1 and some people had the impudence to dare pointing it out. Seriously, did you guys even watch that video?

No I did not because frankly I don`t give a damn.
Every year people come up with some cOnTrOvErSy like that and most of the time it`s just a smoking pile of dog crap tbh. It`s basically impossible to be 100% original because every damn thing has been done a 100 times already. Move on and don`t be bitter about it.

spinachpie

HayashiM

Veteran
Every year people come up with some cOnTrOvErSy like that and most of the time it`s just a smoking pile of dog crap tbh. It`s basically impossible to be 100% original because every damn thing has been done a 100 times already. Move on and don`t be bitter about it.

I usually have a similar attitude and feel more like "oh, there is some similarity here to something I like, lovely" without really aiming at brewing controversy. I can even feel kind of proud - "I hear what you did there, even if it's not exactly clear on the first replay". So, I think can understand you.

However, this one is different. It's far beyond the "it's impossible to be 100% original" excuse. Especially the music video. Not that I would feel all that bitter about it, I just don't find it very winner-worthy.

Last edited:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Duncan is not right though? He said her SONG sounds like a Zara SONG which is... not true lmao. Similar video =/= similar song.

He probably just skimmed through social media, saw the name being thrown out, and tried to make an #owned comment but now that it backfired he is trying to blame the press even though he hasn't called them out when the interview was out many days ago

Also if eurovision was mainly an originality contest most of the winners wouldn't have won - including himself xangel

Realest

I would have more Respect for him if he sticked selfconfidently to his Opinion. Embarassing.

DanielLuis

Duncan is not right though? He said her SONG sounds like a Zara SONG which is... not true lmao. Similar video =/= similar song.

He probably just skimmed through social media, saw the name being thrown out, and tried to make an #owned comment but now that it backfired he is trying to blame the press even though he hasn't called them out when the interview was out many days ago

Also if eurovision was mainly an originality contest most of the winners wouldn't have won - including himself xangel
This is the thing though, the dude clearly either never heard "El Diablo" or never heard a Zara Larsson song and is just repeating random stuff he read around the web.

I bims

Veteran
This is the thing though, the dude clearly either never heard "El Diablo" or never heard a Zara Larsson song and is just repeating random stuff he read around the web.
Like most people, though. Only difference is that he has a plattform.

Grinch

You should tho. Those 2 videos are like 99% same unfortunately.
And no, originality is still possible. That's called creativity.
If what you said was true, what would be the point of doing... anything?

spinachpie

You should tho. Those 2 videos are like 99% same unfortunately.
And no, originality is still possible. That's called creativity.
If what you said was true, what would be the point of doing... anything?
You missed the videos Zara copied? :alien:

Top Bottom