Oh-oh-oh, el diablo, el diablo, oh-oh
I fell in love, I fell in love
I gave my heart to el diablo, el diablo

El diablo​

Last edited by a moderator:

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
This topic about Duncan and Zara Larsson made me sick, i open this thread hoping to find something interesting or hot but it all the same discusting over and over again 🤦‍♂️

spinachpie

I have no doubts this is going to do incredibly well with the televote. It's too good of a performance not to. I also think the juries will not vote for it against acts like Malta, Italy, Russia, Iceland, Bulgaria etc. So I predict we may see another Norway situation. Perhaps not quite as much as Norway, but it will certainly be a big difference.

Just to add again - the staging, camera work etc is PERFECT. Elena herself is a diamond performing this.

crashworld

Veteran
Just a throwing a thought out there, do you think Cyprus has a potential of not doing that well as expected.
I mean qualification is highly likely, but people are raving that this may win the semi.

I mean looking at how Tamta did in 2019, similar catchy female uptempo and giving an similarly slick performance (vocals were questionable), but they didn't do that well with the televote (which usually this type of song is after) and they are in a less competitive semi.

I wonder if the general public is tired of Cyprus sending female uptempo and giving a polished-yet-sterile looking performance.

theditz83

Veteran
I wonder if the general public is tired of Cyprus sending female uptempo and giving a polished-yet-sterile looking performance.
Well last year, Cyprus were trying to send a male vocalist with a deep house groove and it got pretty much ignored by the general community, so it's clear that the :cy: delegation are just serving up what the general public demands of them (as much as I hate to bring it up, the "Fuego" effect lives on...)

I still think a Top 10 is very much on the cards for Elena this year xup

crashworld

Veteran
Well last year, Cyprus were trying to send a male vocalist with a deep house groove and it got pretty much ignored by the general community, so it's clear that the :cy: delegation are just serving up what the general public demands of them (as much as I hate to bring it up, the "Fuego" effect lives on...)

I still think a Top 10 is very much on the cards for Elena this year xup

At the bold part, I think more likely to the demands of the ESC fandom (who we know is the most vocal lot), plus "Running" isn't that much of a song if I'm really honest.

With the 2020 entry not being remembered and heard, I wonder the general public will be like, "great, Cyprus doing Cyprus again and coming with another female uptempo" and then just dismiss it completely despite Elena bringing a good show.

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
Just a throwing a thought out there, do you think Cyprus has a potential of not doing that well as expected.
I mean qualification is highly likely, but people are raving that this may win the semi.

I mean looking at how Tamta did in 2019, similar catchy female uptempo and giving an similarly slick performance (vocals were questionable), but they didn't do that well with the televote (which usually this type of song is after) and they are in a less competitive semi.

İ mean i suggest to watch Tamta performance and u will understand the difference. Plus replay didnt have that exploding chorus El Diablo has

tararaaam

Replay > Fuego = El diablo but Eleni>Elena>Tamta. I think she can do a top 5, personally. I mean, Luca Hanni did exactly 1 year after Fuego-bomb, with this weird choreo and costumes, why not her?

Also, why so much backing track? They should let her really rich voice to shine more.

crashworld

Veteran
İ mean i suggest to watch Tamta performance and u will understand the difference. Plus replay didnt have that exploding chorus El Diablo has

Of course, there are differences between all 3 female uptempos that Cyprus has sent. But I am just putting out the possibility of general public not fully getting behind Cyprus' entry due to them being abit "samey samey".

Personally, "Replay" gets the vote for me (as a studio cut) out of the 3 as it's much more original in terms of production.

Gitte

Of course, there are differences between all 3 female uptempos that Cyprus has sent. But I am just putting out the possibility of general public not fully getting behind Cyprus' entry due to them being abit "samey samey".

Personally, "Replay" gets the vote for me (as a studio cut) out of the 3 as it's much more original in terms of production.
would the general public even now it is 'always the same' though? Random casual viewers who just watch esc because it's on tv likely don't remember all entries of previous years. My mom (who I MAKE watch esc with me & I have voted in her name before) doesn't even remember that 'think about things', which is still played on the radio here, is an esc song even though I made that very clear last year and I doubt she remembers arcade. If I didn't like el diablo and say: "ugh, cyprus always sends the same" she would likely react with: "ok, sure" not knowing what I am talking about.

crashworld

Veteran
would the general public even now it is 'always the same' though? Random casual viewers who just watch esc because it's on tv likely don't remember all entries of previous years. My mom (who I MAKE watch esc with me & I have voted in her name before) doesn't even remember that 'think about things', which is still played on the radio here, is an esc song even though I made that very clear last year and I doubt she remembers arcade. If I didn't like el diablo and say: "ugh, cyprus always sends the same" she would likely react with: "ok, sure" not knowing what I am talking about.

Good point though. Hopefully, it's just me overthinking.

HayashiM

Veteran

Edit: this is basically the same as @Gitte says, I only took longer :)

TBH, I think the general public has forgot 80% of the songs the moment they wake up the morning after eurovision. Unless we're talking of winners and legends, people couldn't care less whom Cyprus sent 2 years ago. Eleni might be somewhat remembered, as I believe Fuego became a summer hit in many especially southern countries. But Tamta? Not really.

Us hardcore fans like to compare the evolution of a country from year to year, and it makes sense in terms of observing the amount of effort each country puts in, whether that somehow improves or not. However, the general public doesn't give a flying flamingo about this when voting.

spinachpie

To be honest, most of them won't even remember Fuego, let alone Tamta.

HayashiM

Veteran
I agree with this completely, but also such viewers rarely do vote.

That's true. However they make the big majority (my guess based on youtube views pre-contest would be more than 95%) of the viewership, so if only a small part of them votes (say, 5-10%), it can still count for a huge part (50%+) of the eventual televote result.

Zeus

For me, as someone who in general doesn't like uptempo popsongs, El Diablo is already a bit better to listen to than Fuego and Replay. But maybe that is a negative thing. Maybe for people who like uptempo popsongs, it's the other way around.

I also think that the staging is better. The ending part especially.

Top Bottom