14 7.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png
'

Last edited by a moderator:

Luki

HRT needs to focus on getting bigger names to participate in Dora next year. These no-names aren't cutting it. Not only are they not drawing the audience, they also serve nothing on that stage.
It also needs to attract names that are not popular among the common people but sell out concerts.

A-lister

Veteran
I hope Croatia doesn't fall into the trap of thinking that "quirky" entries will be their shtick from now on due to the somewhat success in 2023.

Every year the stars align for an entry like that; the right social/political context, meme and viral worthiness, silly but addictive hook/performance... it just so happened that 2023 was Croatia's turn (even though the song is objectively almost unlistenable lol), but that doesn't mean that there is a guarantee it will work for future attempts and might just be a one-trick-pony and next year the "quirky success entry of the year" could very well be another country.

We already saw how it didn't play out in the favor for Serbia trying it two years in a row.

I'm just writing this as I see some think that this is the new route Croatia should go down.

With that being said, Croatia has been struggling for years so I understand the will to try something else, but I would argue sending something quirky or borderline joke entry isn't the solution, just trying to have a higher quality on the entries are. I think Croatia is one of those countries that was trying to inauthentically go down the "safe Westernized Pop sound"-route but without having the right musical teams behind to make it really work and thus we just ended up with very weak, bland and forgettable entries. Now with the juries gone from the semis, I hope more countries will just send whatever represents them and not what they think will fly with those lame juries.

#Justice4Severina

Loindici

Veteran
I think Croatia still need to master their A&R skills.

The best combination for Eurovision would be an impressionable persona; good performing skills; and a competent song, but oftentimes their pick lacks this impression factor.

Let 3 might not be the best act vocally, but they sure know how to impress. Their branding and performance style fits Eurovision.

Last edited:
I think Croatia still need to master their A&R skills.

The best combination for Eurovision would be an impressionable persona; good performing skills; and a competent song, but oftentimes their pick lacks this impression factor.

Let 3 might not be the best act vocally, but they sure know how to impress. Their branding and performance style fits Eurovision.

The issue with most Croatian artists is that they are not imperssionable personas. 🤣 To me they are almost all quite dull.

Singers here rarely play the personality card because the audience in Croatia doesn't really care much for anyone transpiring the star aura.

Some of the most popular singers in Croatia and Bosnia look like plain everyday people. You might even confuse them for construction workers or salesmen. 🤣 They have become popular mostly by creating music that appeals to people's emotions.

Young generations of singers are exceptionally unimpressive and characterless. Their music appears especially emotionless, meaningless, unoriginal. That's the most serious issue for the industry here.

Last edited:

Yazy

Okay.

Now that we have all realized that the focus should be on interesting performers and not music genres, do we agree that DORA needs to be ditched and Indira internally selected? :giggle:

Okay.

Now that we have all realized that the focus should be on interesting performers and not music genres, do we agree that DORA needs to be ditched and Indira internally selected? :giggle:

I think Sanremo recipe is great. It is a music festival for both stars and new talents. In the end one of them can go to Eurovision, and those who aren't interested in that can simply present their new music. This could in principle attract more popular Croatian singers to compete again.

And it could then be open to competitors from other countries, given the fact that more Croats live abroad than in Croatia and also some popular Croatian artists live in Germany, Bosnia, Slovenia, USA etc.

Yazy

I think Sanremo recipe is great. It is a music festival for both stars and new talents. In the end one of them can go to Eurovision, and those who aren't interested in that can simply present their new music. This could in principle attract more popular Croatian singers to compete again.

And it could then be open to competitors from other countries, given the fact that more Croats live abroad than in Croatia and also some popular Croatian artists live in Germany, Bosnia, Slovenia, USA etc.
Better than DORA but also seems like a double edged sword in one regard:
An artist comes in with a banger but chooses not to go to ESC.
The response from the public to that decision...I can only imagine.

shameless

Let Dino Jelusić a.k.a. the Lys Assia of JESC compete with one of their several rock-projects. Bound to be more successful than everything HR sent this century...maybe! :D

I already miss this...

😂 Croatia won't be able to repeat this mess in next 50 years or so, I already see some "classic female power vocal kingdom of boredom" incoming in 2024. 😒

The only hope I have is that Let 3's breakthrough and last year great Dora results will motivate more diverse competitors to apply, and that Croatian general audience [not the Bubble] will vote again en masse as they did last year with Let 3.

I hope Croatia doesn't fall into the trap of thinking that "quirky" entries will be their shtick from now on due to the somewhat success in 2023.

Every year the stars align for an entry like that; the right social/political context, meme and viral worthiness, silly but addictive hook/performance... it just so happened that 2023 was Croatia's turn (even though the song is objectively almost unlistenable lol), but that doesn't mean that there is a guarantee it will work for future attempts and might just be a one-trick-pony and next year the "quirky success entry of the year" could very well be another country.

We already saw how it didn't play out in the favor for Serbia trying it two years in a row.

I'm just writing this as I see some think that this is the new route Croatia should go down.

With that being said, Croatia has been struggling for years so I understand the will to try something else, but I would argue sending something quirky or borderline joke entry isn't the solution, just trying to have a higher quality on the entries are. I think Croatia is one of those countries that was trying to inauthentically go down the "safe Westernized Pop sound"-route but without having the right musical teams behind to make it really work and thus we just ended up with very weak, bland and forgettable entries. Now with the juries gone from the semis, I hope more countries will just send whatever represents them and not what they think will fly with those lame juries.

#Justice4Severina

Believe me, there aren't many like Let 3, that one is impossible to repeat, rest assured 🤣

HarryUK

Veteran
I would go for Indira honestly. She simply is a memorable performer and person. And in modern ESC, that matters!

Vocally she is not amazing nor is she elegant.
She is like anti thesis of Chanel or Eleni.

But see....that´s the thing.

Her rather masculine/awkward dance moves but vibrant energy coupled with specific husky voice and jolly persona is exactly what makes her stand out in her own way.
ESC fans would love her! You know damn well they would!

Even if she flops, fans would keep her in a good memory. Can´t go wrong there if you ask me.

-v-Kcd.gif
Help I actually really liked her entry in 2020. Camp as tits!

Top Bottom