Contact us

Cover my ESC!

Yamarus

I've been listening to a few Afrikaans covers of ESC songs lately, and I wanted to open a thread because I'm sure you have some gems to share too!

South African artists are very fond of ESC covers.

Spain 2009

Azerbaijan 2011 (I actually think this one is at least as good as the original)

Malta 2009

Finland 2009

Poland 2009

Russia 2012 (even worse than the original :eek:)

Turkey 2009

Poland 2011

Okay, these were mostly the Afrikaans covers, but I'm sure there are plenty of others! Share share please! :-D

And the last one, a bit older

Denmark 2000

seb89

Great thread :D!

Omg "Party vir almal" is indeed much much worse, it's not even fun & the lyrics :s..

My favorite cover in Afrikaans is by far Andriëtte! I like Monique & Snotkop (:lol: @ his name) and 'my hart het klaar besluit' too.

They've covered also 'In A Moment Like This' but it's not in Afrikaans :(

&

'Jy is die een' (My number one)

LalehForWD

Swedish covers
In Sweden it used to be very common (and easy) to translate international hits to Swedish, record them and enter Svensktoppen. I cannot recall any recent attemts though.

Here is Swedish covers of Katrina and the Waves - Love Shine a Light from Eurovision Song Contest 1997

Pistvakt och Pjäx Pistols - Soln lyser gul som en zingo (Gaj å partaj, 2001) :ugeek:

Kikki Danielsson - Låt ett ljus få brinna (Ett hus med många rum, 1997)

LalehForWD

There is a flood of Loreen Euphoria covers and remixes. This is an early one which I still think is the best:

Kollisionen - Euphoria cover

Yamarus

OMG that cover of "My Number One"!

Cool Swedish covers of UK 1997!! Thanks for sharing, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

hijirio

Veteran
And here are some from Turkey.
Slovenia 2007
I heard this on the radio and I was like... WHAT THE.......

Interval act 2006, Mambo

There must be much more but I don't hear Turkish music much, therefore I can't come up with more.

A-lister

Veteran
Swedish Dansband Drifters' Swedish version cover of Sieneke's "Sha La Lie" (Netherlands 2010) :mrgreen:

A-lister

Veteran
@ Yamarus

Afrikaans sounds pretty cool :) How come they make so many ESC covers? These covers made me more interested in the S. African music scene and linguistic divisions there. I need to do some research on South Africa now :mrgreen:

Music can really open doors to new knowledge :)

katapult

I've found a japanese version of "Wunder gibt es immer wieder", Germany's entry 1970 - but it's not actually a cover, Katja did it herself! :eek:

Some more in Afrikaans - Ireland 2010:

And Sweden 2006:

Yamarus

Nice gems you've uncovered there katapult!!

@a-lister: I dunno why Afrikaners are so fond of ESC covers... Maybe it gives them a sense of belonging to the European community? You never see a single black person in an Afrikaner video.

A-lister

Veteran
Nice gems you've uncovered there katapult!!

@a-lister: I dunno why Afrikaners are so fond of ESC covers... Maybe it gives them a sense of belonging to the European community? You never see a single black person in an Afrikaner video.

I might be wrong, but most Afrikaan speakers are white right? Well, with the current "kill boers" mentality in South Africa... the division is probably soon just as awful as during the apartheid era, only this time around whites are the victims...

Oh well, I think it's fun with these covers though, it's probably the case (belonging to Europe)... I also note how Netherlands never gives up Eurovision although flopping and how the Dutch part of Belgium also involves itself more in this (both also take part in jESC for instance unlike most west European countries)... it seems there's just a genuine interest for Eurovision when it comes to Dutch speaking communities :)

seb89

I might be wrong, but most Afrikaan speakers are white right? Well, with the current "kill boers" mentality in South Africa... the division is probably soon just as awful as during the apartheid era, only this time around whites are the victims...

Yeah, I think so. Although there are also black people of course who speak Afrikaans, as it is used in everyday speech in SA. I love that language :lol:. There are also some songs in Afrikaans, covered in Dutch :D.

I don't know though, the boeren still think they are in charge (from the documentaries I've seen). I think nowadays it's more rich vs poor, and the white are the rich ones. Anyway SA is a big mess with huge social problems tbh.

hijirio

Veteran
Lane Moje
Turkish and Hebrew covers
Turkish:
Hebrew:

hijirio

Veteran
Just ran into a Turkish cover of the Netherlands 1975 :p

EDIT: Apparently the song was a major hit in Turkey those times as I've found another nice cover of the same song. :)

LalehForWD

Les Fleurs du Mal, latest album of Swedish death/symphonic metal band Therion contains covers of French chansons (released 2012-09-28).

The album have a beautiful tribute to Betty Mars (Eurovision 1972 France) with the song J'ai le mal de toi.

And of course the following brilliant cover of:

:lu: Eurovison 1965 France Gall - Poupée de cire, poupée de son
FranceGall4.jpe

:se: Therion - Poupée de cire, poupée de son

Top Bottom