10 7.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Azerbaijan-scaled.jpg

Mainshow

Veteran
I do not agree with this theory.

Iranian Azerbaijan is South Azerbaijan, and Iranian Azerbaijani are south Azerbaijani, South Azerbaijan s a non independent part of another country.

When we say "Azerbaijan" we mean north Azerbaijan, i.e. one that participates in Eurovision.

The term "Azerbaijani" instead of "Azerbaijan" as participating country is not correct regarding Azerbaijan.

Azerbaijani should be used as an adjective referring to the entries from Azerbaijan (Azerbaijani entries instead of Azeri entries). I didn't mean to stop calling Azerbaijan Azerbaijan.

However, the term "Azeri" includes North and South Azerbaijan (Azerbaijan - the country, + the Northern part of Iran).
They can be used interchangeable but the term "Azerbaijani" is more accurate when it comes to national affairs, e.g. Azerbaijani citizens (citizens of Azerbaijan) vs. Azeri people (people with the same ethnicity, culture, e.g. People from Azerbaijan, Northern Iran etc).

You said yourself that "Azerbaijan" refers to the country. Thus, we should use its adjective Azerbaijani.

There is a subtle but important difference.

tuorem

[MENTION=16440]Mainshow[/MENTION] [MENTION=6742]Bakinka[/MENTION]

Alright, my apologies, pardon my ignorance. I genuinely thought both words were used interchangeably. Please tell me what the correct form is in this context: is "Azerbaijani" more suitable as far as Eurovision is concerned?

I'm checking my French dictionaries - as well as Merriam Webster dictionary - and I see no difference between both words, hence my confusion.

Mainshow

Veteran
[MENTION=16440]Mainshow[/MENTION] [MENTION=6742]Bakinka[/MENTION]

Alright, my apologies, pardon my ignorance. I genuinely thought both words were used interchangeably. Please tell me what the correct form is in this context: is "Azerbaijani" more suitable as far as Eurovision is concerned?

I'm checking my French dictionaries - as well as Merriam Webster dictionary - and I see no difference between both words, hence my confusion.

No need to apologise ;)

I've seen a few Eurovision fans using these terms and since it's "off season", I thought it would be a great opportunity to talk about it.

Maybe it's different in the French language?

I've just checked the Oxford Dictionary as well as the Longman dictionary of contemporary English and the first doesn't even list "Azeri".

Longman Dictionary
A‧zer‧bai‧jan /ˌæzəbaɪˈdʒɑːn $ ˌɑːzər-/
a country in the extreme southeast of Europe, west of the Caspian Sea and north of Iran. Population: 9,590,159 (2014). Capital: Baku. Azerbaijan became independent of the former Soviet Union in 1991.
—Azerbaijani noun, adjective

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/azerbaijan

Longman Dictionary says that the adjective is "Azerbaijani" - Thus, we are talking about Azerbaijani entries (The Eurovision entries from Azerbaijan - the country) and Azerbajani (Azerbaijani people).

Personally, I think that Azeri might be an older term - that's maybe why it doesn't appear in the contemporary dictionaries anymore - At least, the term "Azeri" combines Azerbaijani people from Azerbaijan and Azerbaijani people from Iran (since their country has somehow been divided).

Oxford Dictionary

Oxford lists "Azeri" as an own entry. It also says that it can relate to Azerbaijan and its people but the first meaning is:

A member of a Turkic people forming the majority population of Azerbaijan, and also living in Armenia and northern Iran.
source: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/azeri

Thus, in the end, all Azerbaijani people are Azeris but not all Azeris are Azerbaijani citizens.
Since the Azerbaijani entry in Eurovision represents Azerbaijan - the country - and not Iranian Azerbaijanis, we should be speaking about Azerbaijani entries in general, rather than Azeri entries.

It's a slight and subtle difference but friends from Azerbaijan explained it to me that way (as well) and they asked me to use "Azerbaijani" instead of "Azeri" (I did say "Azeri" as well and I had the feeling, that even though they were very polite, they felt a bit irritated)

Preuss

Okay but any chances that Dilara might return one day? From what I see, she's become pretty popular in Azerbaijan, doing lots of stuff these days

Bakinka

No need to apologise ;)

I've seen a few Eurovision fans using these terms and since it's "off season", I thought it would be a great opportunity to talk about it.

Maybe it's different in the French language?

I've just checked the Oxford Dictionary as well as the Longman dictionary of contemporary English and the first doesn't even list "Azeri".

Longman Dictionary

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/azerbaijan

Longman Dictionary says that the adjective is "Azerbaijani" - Thus, we are talking about Azerbaijani entries (The Eurovision entries from Azerbaijan - the country) and Azerbajani (Azerbaijani people).

Personally, I think that Azeri might be an older term - that's maybe why it doesn't appear in the contemporary dictionaries anymore - At least, the term "Azeri" combines Azerbaijani people from Azerbaijan and Azerbaijani people from Iran (since their country has somehow been divided).

Oxford Dictionary

Oxford lists "Azeri" as an own entry. It also says that it can relate to Azerbaijan and its people but the first meaning is:

source: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/azeri

Thus, in the end, all Azerbaijani people are Azeris but not all Azeris are Azerbaijani citizens.
Since the Azerbaijani entry in Eurovision represents Azerbaijan - the country - and not Iranian Azerbaijanis, we should be speaking about Azerbaijani entries in general, rather than Azeri entries.

It's a slight and subtle difference but friends from Azerbaijan explained it to me that way (as well) and they asked me to use "Azerbaijani" instead of "Azeri" (I did say "Azeri" as well and I had the feeling, that even though they were very polite, they felt a bit irritated)
Thank you for the detailed explanation your opinion.

I'm the citizen of Azerbaijan and Azerbaijanian ethnicity and I'm totally fine with both “Azeri” and “Azerbaijani” because I think that Azeri is just a shortened form of Azerbaijani.)))

But I understand that “Azeri” is an artificially constructed identity. In the constitution of Azerbaijan, the name and the language of the country are stated as “people of Azerbaijan, Azerbaijani”, and “Azerbaijani language”.

DenizESC

Banned
[MENTION=6742]Bakinka[/MENTION] do you say something like Azerbeycanli or something in your own language?

I say usually Azeri because that's how we say it in Turkish :p but I know in English the correct term is Azerbaijani

Bakinka

[MENTION=6742]Bakinka[/MENTION] do you say something like Azerbeycanli or something in your own language?

I say usually Azeri because that's how we say it in Turkish :p but I know in English the correct term is Azerbaijani
Yes, we do) On Azerbaijani language we always say Azərbaycanlı.

PashonFrut

I don't want to offend anyone or be considered as a Mr. Know It All in that regard, but can we stop calling this country's entries "Azeri entries"? - I've been to Azerbaijan twice (2012, 2017) and I was told by Azerbaijani friends that the termn "Azeri" is perceived as wrong: It includes people from Iran as well (it's more a "cultural term") whilst "Azerbaijani" is the more suitable term since it refers to the state, Azerbaijan. Since Azerbaijan (the country) competes, the term "Azerbaijani" is better.

Correct ;)

Preuss

"Miracle" is such a bop xlove
I loved it since it was released and still love it.

Preuss

"Hour Of The Wolf" is also amazing by the way xlove Sure, I think too that the staging could've been elevated better but doesn't change the fact that it was a quality entry once again from Azerbaijan! Elnur is an amazing singer though and so was Dilara

Bakinka

Murad Arif is the first who announced his participation in the closed selection to Eurovision.

murad-qapaq.jpg

He wrote on his Facebook page that he needs a three-minute hit, and he and his guys want to write a song and blow up the stage with his performance.

He also added that he is completely ready to Eurovision and hopes that people would believe in him.

81fed1112a0d.jpg

Bakinka

Murad Arif is not only a singer and composer, he is also a commentator of Eurovision on IctimaiTV.

He is composer of JESC's song Me and my guitar.

Whats-App-Image-2019-12-06-at-12-46-33.jpg

1504689938-21041052-1729757427327927-4370761215232704512-n.jpg

Mainshow

Veteran
According to 12 Xal, Rauf & Faik (brothers from Azerbaijani living in Russia) want to represent Azerbaijan.

Good news!

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
According to 12 Xal, Rauf & Faik (brothers from Azerbaijani living in Russia) want to represent Azerbaijan.

Good news!

Their most watched YT video has over 200 Million views. Gotta say though, this is not my kinda music and I don't think that this is Eurovision material. They would have to come up with something that's for the masses, I don't think that this kind of music would work outside of the Russian speaking areas.

Mainshow

Veteran
Their most watched YT video has over 200 Million views. Gotta say though, this is not my kinda music and I don't think that this is Eurovision material. They would have to come up with something that's for the masses, I don't think that this kind of music would work outside of the Russian speaking areas.

I would vote for it. That's actually exactly the music I want to be getting from these ex-soviet countires in which Russian is the lignua franca.
I'm so sick and tired of these wannabe "Eurovision"-esque pop tunes produced by all these basic producers. Give me some honest and authentic piece of music, pls. That's all I want for Christmas (in terms of Eurovision).

Slovenia has become one of my favourite countries lately. They don't seem to care about "traditional Eurovision material" anymore and submit well-produced and honest entries aimed at a domestic market instead and they are slaying, in my opinion.

Also, it would be nice to get a Russian or Azerbaijani entry from Azerbaijan :D

Top Bottom