Contact us

Are You Against To Cultural Eurovision?

Impressive

Banned
Can you imagine Eurovision when all countries sing songs with their official languages (at least English + official language because this would be kind of unfair; example Ireland), all song writers and artists from respesenter country about songs?

This would be more "Eurovisionic" than now, in my opinion. At least for some year, this should be tried. It would be very impressive.

alca

That's how it was when ESC began.

CC92

I am all for bringing back the national language rule as well as a ban on foreign imports. Otherwise a competition between countries would be pointless.

MyHeartIsYours

I get the point very much, but I watch Eurovision for entertainment, and it so happens that I find American-style pop in English to be the most entertaining. At least Im honest! :p

A-lister

Veteran
I get the point very much, but I watch Eurovision for entertainment, and it so happens that I find American-style pop in English to be the most entertaining. At least Im honest! :p

You're an imperialist that's for sure :lol:

Why watching Eurovision when you have zero interest in Europe other than your own island? xshrug

A-lister

Veteran
I'm entitled to my views just as you're entitled to yours ;).

Of course, I never stated you weren't? xshrug

I just think it's a sad way of looking at a concept like ESC that really should be about more than just pleasuring Anglo-Saxic music taste :lol:

MyHeartIsYours

Well I've watched Eurovision since I was 10 years old. I like Eurovision for the same reasons I did back then, as I said, some people take it over-seriously ;).

A-lister

Veteran
Well I've watched Eurovision since I was 10 years old. I like Eurovision for the same reasons I did back then, as I said, some people take it over-seriously ;).

Well, then you must have learned by now that the concept is entries representing their countries? And surely that's more than just sending Anglo-Saxic Pop in English because that has very little to do with the concept actually. I mean first of all to have a song represent you if a majority of the population doesn't even understand the lyrics? Makes no sense xshrug

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I'm against the language rule for the purpose of artistic freedom but I can see myself supporting a rule that would only allow citizens or those who lived in the country for an extended period of time to write and perform the entries. This would also give less known writers a platform rather than having Swedish folks write all entries for Azerbaijan.

CC92

I'm against the language rule for the purpose of artistic freedom but I can see myself supporting a rule that would only allow citizens or those who lived in the country for an extended period of time to write and perform the entries. This would also give less known writers a platform rather than having Swedish folks write all entries for Azerbaijan.

I would agree with you about the language rule in theory only. In practice, however, the language choices have rarely something to do with artistic freedom. Actually quite the opposite is the case. And besides, it would promote the European character of the show.
A rule concerning the composers is obviously needed but I do not think it should be important who performs the entry.

Yoni

I would just make one rule.
once a song was selected in a NF, you cannot change anything major in it (like a totally new music, change of language etc.)

but overall I love the different cultures being shown with the songs each year :)

A-lister

Veteran
I would just make one rule.
once a song was selected in a NF, you cannot change anything major in it (like a totally new music, change of language etc.)

but overall I love the different cultures being shown with the songs each year :)

This! I think some minor revamps should be allowed, but nothing more. If an entry has been chosen then it should stay in its original form and language.

MyHeartIsYours

Can't happen cuz some entries are internally selected, you can't have one set of rules for a nationally selected song and then another set for an internally selected one.

A-lister

Veteran
Can't happen cuz some entries are internally selected, you can't have one set of rules for a nationally selected song and then another set for an internally selected one.

I don't get what you're trying to say? It's irrelevant how the song is elected, as long as it has gone public (officially chosen for the country) it shouldn't be allowed to be changed after that, as that would be changing something that has already been presented to the public and in one way or another voted on.

And also, the days of internally selected entries are soon over. I think as of this year or next year perhaps, an act can be internally selected, but there must be some sort of song selection though.

CC92

And also, the days of internally selected entries are soon over. I think as of this year or next year perhaps, an act can be internally selected, but there must be some sort of song selection though.

Not true. Some planned to implement such a rule but it could not secure a majority in the reference group.
But yeah, the entry should not be changed after its presentation to the public.

CypriotGirl

Veteran
Of course I'd like ESC to be like this, I like songs in national languages, but the problem is that the majority of Europe go for the "easy listening", so songs that are in languages that are "easy" to the ears of the average European voter will have more advantages than songs in languages that are not "catchy" or they don't hear them so often. This is sad, but true. And I don't blame countries for selecting songs in English just because of that reason if they want good results, although I'd prefer them to be in the language of the country. But, on the other hand, the countries should care more about representing their culture and language rather than the results. xshrug

A-lister

Veteran
^
In 2012, 6/10 entries in the top. 10 were in native language or partly in native language.

In many European markets English is not even the second or third most known language, so people exaggerate when it comes to English I'd say. ESC is not really a lyrical contest and never were and English just happens to fit the 'simple to the ear' melodies as it flows well and although not all understand it they recognize the sound of it, but that's because they've been constantly bombarded with music in English through cultural imperialism, English is considered 'cool' although many don't even understand simple phrases.

When the argument that choosing English makes 'more people understand the lyrics' comes up, I'd say people mistake themselves. The general viewer in Russia, Ukraine, Turkey, Spain, Italy, France, Azerbaijan etc. doesn't know English that well or at all to begin with, and again it's not as if the simplistic naive lyrics we get in English really is much worthy of 'understanding' anyways, so the whole argument that choosing English for the lyrics is simply misguided.

Music is universal though. A good song will translate a feeling without the need to understand the lyrics, and the language itself is a tool not to be overlooked. Songs do sound differently in different languages and that should be regarded as a strength because the linguistic characteristics also add these special flavors to the songs. I mean some songs just falls flat when translated into English. People think 'it's just a language', but it's not... the different languages adds structures that makes the songs unique aswell.

Top Bottom