Contact us

2019 JURY BEWILDERMENT AND AMUSEMENT THREAD

Mii11

For all the Haters: Most Countries who got 12 from their Neighbours ended up either in the Juries or the Televoter Top5, so noone can claim these were unfair Blocvotes.

Anyway, the Juries did some good things. :hu:s Juryresult f.e. in the Opposite to the Televoters or Preventing :sm: from Top10 and trying to prevent them from Qualifying. Not to forgot :lt:s Juryvote

But I thought juries were meant to prevent block voting? Its not their job to prevent entries from doing better than expected if they deem them 'bad', because tastes are subjective and millions of people voting are more likely to be better representatives of 'taste' than a bunch of no-name self-proclaimed 'experts'. San Marino was high because people enjoyed the song, not because of block voting.

Realest

But I thought juries were meant to prevent block voting? Its not their job to prevent entries from doing better than expected if they deem them 'bad', because tastes are subjective and millions of people voting are more likely to be better representatives of 'taste' than a bunch of no-name self-proclaimed 'experts'. San Marino was high because people enjoyed the song, not because of block voting.

Juries were never introduced to prevent Blockvoting. This would be nothing else than Political Voting. Juries should still give 12 Points to their Neighbours when it makes Sense (e.g. a Neighbour is a Topfavourite, an Artist has local Fame or a Song reflect common Musicculture.). I mean you cant f.e. forbid :dk: and :fi: to give 12 Points to :se: but then allow :nl::au::es: etc.. to give 12 Points to :se:.

:sm: sung objective bad and the Juries punished this.

Alaska49

juries were introduced to guide to contest to a better musical direction. well, we are already there and now they killed jurijus to advance leonora which makes no musical sense to me. they can fuck off.

... but to be honest? they don't need to necessarily fuck off, maybe. last night's results were delightfully weird but they do get a bit in line with that news about them receiving new guidelines about how to vote (specially the sweden result since apparently john's sterile performance mattered zero.................). i always thought juries were pieces of shit who didn't follow any rules and just used their power to do whatever, and some of them clearly do that (hi belarus), but if most of them actually follow guidelines to the point they actually rewarded tamara (you know she would never get this result in earlier years if only because her staging wasn't as good as some others)... then ebu needs to change those damn guidelines. stop trying to hold the contest down, fuck. use your power to promote variety. have they not realised that gets people talking the most anyway? just filter out the badly performed duds and the obvious cheap vote grabs. juries shouldn't be there to bring something like keiino down.

Citelis

Juries were good this year. The only crimes juries actually did this year is Norway and Spain. Both of them deserved way more from juries.

Gitte

The juries are weird. I guessed a lot of the 12 pointers. Cyprus and Greece giving their 12 points to each other and Montenegro giving 12 points to Serbia and things liek that are just...Well...None of those were BAD but still. I believe the juries are good for something, like North Macedonai finally doing somewhat well. But they should be edited a little.

crashworld

Veteran
By the way, I have done up some simple "statistics". It's a ranking based on the number of countries that have voted for each entry.
It's just a very basic indication of whether an entry is "generally well-liked" enough by the other 40 countries to get their votes in this year's competition.

I have done in 3 types of ranking:
(1) Overall (a combined results of jury votes and tele votes)
(2) Jury vote
(3) Tele vote

(1) Overall

- As you can see based on the overall results, there are a few countries where the final results' placing is in line with the placing they have received determined by the number of countries that have voted for them. They are Netherlands, Russia, Norway, Azerbaijan and Czech Republic.
- The disparity between the actual results and the ranking I have done is between 0-3 places for all countries except Sweden and Spain, which got the biggest disparity (4 places).
- But things start to get interesting when it's split by jury vote and tele vote. The biggest difference is Norway (a massive 27 places), followed by Iceland (24 places) and Czech Republic (20 places).

(2) Jury vote

- Interestingly, Azerbaijan is the country that received the most votes from the 41 countries. A total of 32 countries. But they are the 5th in the final jury vote and 7th in the overall final results.
- Netherlands, Italy, North Macedonia and Sweden (the jury vote winner) got votes from 31 countries.

(3) Tele vote

- Netherlands got the most votes from the 41 countries. A total of 40 countries.
- Switzerland and Italy followed with 38 countries
- Norway (despite being the televote winner in the final results) is in the 4th place, receiving votes from 37 countries.

Realest

One russian Jurymember voted upside down and made sure that :dk: qualified over :lt:

Realest

One russian Jurymember voted upside down and made sure that :dk: qualified over :lt:

One of the Swedes voted upside down as well, which helpted :lt: get ore Points than they would usually get. Not sure how it would end up in the End.
:at: would probably have been Last without this Mistake.

midnightsun

Veteran
I wonder after all these years how jury members still screw up the voting. Despite probably getting a coaching. I thought the experts were somewhat connected to ESC. Seems they don’t have a clue about the point system and that‘s really sad. Can’t they find better jurors for the juries?

Alaska49

i always used to think "lol these imbeciles" whenever news came of people sending their votes in reverse, but... lina hedlund isn't just some old geezer who never heard of eurovision before. she knows what this is. she has tried to get in some several million times. i now start to wonder if the ebu has some unnecessarily complicated scheme for juries to submit their votes to them.

midnightsun

Veteran
Ok, my fault, didn’t know this (although the name sounded somewhat familiar to me... wasn’t she on a ESC hosted by Sweden?)
So maybe... just maybe... after getting to know Lithuania was just one point ahead of Denmark in the semi... someone ACCIDENTALLY messed up the voting? And they found out about this only NOW? suspiciouuuus :D

GermanBango

Lemme contribute to this annual discussion....
es.png

In orange = Countries that gave their 12 points to either a neighboring country, a country that has a considerable diaspora in the voting country and/or countries they used to form one nation with

In green = Countries that gave their 12 points to someone else

Results
28 out of 41 Countries gave their TELEVOTING 12 points to either a neighboring country, a country that has a considerable diaspora in the voting country and/or countries they used to form one nation with
16 out of 41 Countries gave their JURY 12 points to either a neighboring country, a country that has a considerable diaspora in the voting country and/or countries they used to form one nation with

It`s remarkable that the juries of the former Yugoslavian states are the worst "offenders" here.

Make out if this whatever you want but it shows to me that juries are absolutely necessary. They are surely not perfect in their current form (I suggest bigger juries or a reduced power) but I`m glad that they are here. Fight me!

Realest

Favourites of all 200 Professional Jurymembers:

Italy 31
Sweden 28
Macedonia 24
Netherlands 18
Russia 16
Switzerland 14
Australia 14
Czech Republic 12
Azerbaijan 11
Cyprus 6
Denmark 6
Iceland 5
Greece 4
Malta 2
Norway 2
France 2
Serbia 2
Albania 1
Estonia 1
Slovenia 1

crashworld

Veteran
YMu7AU9.jpg

Another one I have done. The difference in the votes. Norway is the most robbed in terms of jury and North Macedonia is the most helped by jury.

Franzilein

Greece and Cyprus should participate as a single country already, they will never experience the amusement of receiving zero points otherwise :twisted:

Swedenvision

Juires are needed since the televote usally give its points to songs that is "fun" rather than quality...

I mean San Marino was 10th with televotes in the final, that is a joke!
And even if I like Norways song I really don´t understand how it could win the televotes when we had so much quality songs this year...

People always blame Sweden for getting high points from juires but some countries seem to always get high poitns from the televotes no matter what, for exmaple Italy....:rolleyes:

Citelis

Greece and Cyprus should participate as a single country already, they will never experience the amusement of receiving zero points otherwise :twisted:

Yes :gr: and :cy: is what would happen if a country could vote for themselves! :lol:

Alaska49

italy gets high televotes because they are good. sweden can't relate lol.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Juires are needed since the televote usally give its points to songs that is "fun" rather than quality...

I mean San Marino was 10th with televotes in the final, that is a joke!
And even if I like Norways song I really don´t understand how it could win the televotes when we had so much quality songs this year...

People always blame Sweden for getting high points from juires but some countries seem to always get high poitns from the televotes no matter what, for exmaple Italy....:rolleyes:

We stan a Block and Bridge Queen

Top Bottom