16 8.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

EscGeek

Veteran
How this is seen as pro russian is beyond me. If anything, this song is heavily in favor of ukraine.:rolleyes:

And even though replacing Vesna with Pam would make me the happiest man on earth, for the sake of fair play and becasue i hate when politics gets in the way at eurovision, i hope they'll sort it out.

lacrymea

What are the lyrics about anyway? Apart from the English bit on sisterhood, I'm totally lost here.

HayashiM

Veteran
What are the lyrics about anyway? Apart from the English bit on sisterhood, I'm totally lost here.

If you substitute "she" and "sister" for "Ukraine" everywhere (except for the "all the sisters of the world" line), it should become a lot clearer...

Also, the narrator is mostly speaking to Russia ("My sister won't stand in the corner, nor will she listen to you", "You can take your hands back", "We are not your dolls", "You can’t steal our souls", "my sister's crown, don't take it down").

Except for the chorus, the part in Bulgarian and the final verse, where the narrator speaks to Ukraine ("My beautiful sister, You are so strong ...", "Give me your hand, don't be afraid ...", "we stand for you").

Schlagerman1

I don't see why this song should be disqualified? They don't mention any names, any countries or any political parties. I would compare this to 1944, which mention a historic moment (even if the Ukrainian war is still present in Vesnas case) rather than something now (even if Jamala was clearly inspired in creation by the annexation of Crimea at the time). And that song had no problem at all competing in Stockholm 2016 from what I remember.

The only thing I could see is the problem is the Russian member in the band, that the Ukrainian co-host just doesn't feel comfortable with having a Russian on stage. But with the song clearly is for Ukraine and clearly pointed at the Slavic people to rise up against the agressive Russian government. It is more of a peace song as well, it is about rising people up in hard times, something that we all can be inspired about, despite not being slavic or women for that matter.

I could though feel that the problem could not be EBU...but the TV-channel CT. The song got enourmous hype, people are believing it can win the whole contest. It might be scary for them to have that on the table, as their economy isn't actually that great as we have heard recently. Maybe they are not even able to compete in May as some Czechs on the forum has warned about, which would be a total disaster, since this song would be so exciting to see live in Liverpool. But I hope for the best that all this will calm down and that they get to compete in the end.

lacrymea

If you substitute "she" and "sister" for "Ukraine" everywhere (except for the "all the sisters of the world" line), it should become a lot clearer...

Also, the narrator is mostly speaking to Russia ("My sister won't stand in the corner, nor will she listen to you", "You can take your hands back", "We are not your dolls", "You can’t steal our souls", "my sister's crown, don't take it down").

Except for the chorus, the part in Bulgarian and the final verse, where the narrator speaks to Ukraine ("My beautiful sister, You are so strong ...", "Give me your hand, don't be afraid ...", "we stand for you").
Thank you so much for your explanation! I was navigating through the comments feeling a bit clueless.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I ofc support Ukraine. This song was clearly intended to support Ukraine. If you don't get that it's your fault, not Vesna's fault.
Intent matters, not how you interpret that intent.

Iker

Veteran
I quite liked the studio version, but the live was a big letdown. The voices where thin and powerless, the girls rather static and I didn‘t feel their charisma. A lot of room to improve for Liverpool. At the moment my last place.

Even behind Ireland?!!!!

Deleted member 12761

If 1944 was not too political neither is this song. Soft political messages should be allowed at Eurovision. Supporting Ukraine is really not a bad or controversial message. If the EBU bans this song then I wouldn't be surprised if Czech Rep. withdraws and probably for many years. I would do that, too. This is their biggest chance at a victory ever.

Ali_

I don't see why this song should be disqualified? They don't mention any names, any countries or any political parties. I would compare this to 1944, which mention a historic moment (even if the Ukrainian war is still present in Vesnas case) rather than something now (even if Jamala was clearly inspired in creation by the annexation of Crimea at the time). And that song had no problem at all competing in Stockholm 2016 from what I remember.

The only thing I could see is the problem is the Russian member in the band, that the Ukrainian co-host just doesn't feel comfortable with having a Russian on stage. But with the song clearly is for Ukraine and clearly pointed at the Slavic people to rise up against the agressive Russian government. It is more of a peace song as well, it is about rising people up in hard times, something that we all can be inspired about, despite not being slavic or women for that matter.

I could though feel that the problem could not be EBU...but the TV-channel CT. The song got enourmous hype, people are believing it can win the whole contest. It might be scary for them to have that on the table, as their economy isn't actually that great as we have heard recently. Maybe they are not even able to compete in May as some Czechs on the forum has warned about, which would be a total disaster, since this song would be so exciting to see live in Liverpool. But I hope for the best that all this will calm down and that they get to compete in the end.
I don't think it's to do with the broadcaster being worried about the songs potential to win the contest. The winner isn't obligated to host the following year.

njdevils94

Veteran
If this gets disqualified I'd expect :cz: will be gone from Eurovision. EBU need to be smart here. All the good will towards Ukraine at Eurovision will be gone with many people too I'd assume. Suspline can take a hike if you ask me. They don't run Eurovision

boyardor

My feelings are mixed:

At the beginning we were worried about participating in the ESC at all.
Then we got the information about the live NF.
Vesna's song My Sister's Crown came out.
Vesna won the ESCZ.
And finally we are worried about participation again? (or possibly Vesna's participation?)

Otherwise, I don't know why Ukrainian TV would have a problem with the song when it almost explicitly supports Ukraine.

If the problem is in the video clip (soup, costumes) I don't think it's a problem to cut the video clip.

Sammy

Veteran
Even behind Ireland?!!!!
I actually enjoy Ireland (Believe it or not: based on their performance on a small crappy studiostage! :ROFLMAO:).

But jokes aside: The part of "My sisters crown" that I liked most was the chorus. The verses are a bit too messy for my taste and I'm very picky when it comes to rap in general. There are certain rap-songs I really adore, but others just pass by me without any effect. But, with the strong chorus I thought in the studio version: I can enjoy most of it and so it was somewhere in the middle of the songs we know so far. But when I heard it for the first time live I was like: what happened to the chorus?? So it dropped to my bottom ranking. I would say though the bottom place is often rather a waiting room than a definite verdict for me, especially in this case because I didn't follow the Czech NF as closely as others of this season. It's probably the song I listend to the least so far. I also hadn't read the lyrics so far, which is also something that often contributes to my liking or disliking of the song. And I'm not the person who never changes his mind on a song. (Salvador Sobral was last on my list for weeks before he eventually rose in my top 10) Hence I'm curious how this will develop during the season that is still long. But for the moment - sorry Vesna.

12Pointsgoto.....

I gave this fantastic song "only" a :10: because I didn't like the live performance too much. I might change it to a :12: when they convince me in May with a better staging. But a great entry nevertheless!
Let us first hope that this manages to get to the stage in May. It would be very strange if this gets disqualified, but It would be pretty bad if the saving grace in this years contest gets disqualified.

boyardor

YEEEES I asked Vesna on ig why ESC don´t share their photo on ig and they said that they will do it today and everything is OK.

In my opinion, if there was any problem with the song, the EBU would have called during the NF

DirtyFalcon

Well i won't believe any information until this is officially confirmed by the EBU. If there's an investigation, of course they won't tell this to the people in private or journalists who can say it publicly. For them, there's no problem but maybe only for them.

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran
Something needs to be done about the misinformation being flooded under Vesna's socials the amount of people ive seen trying to claim that the song is russian propaganda is unreal, if anything this song is trying too hard to be pro ukraine not anti for god sake
Wouldn't surprise me if that flood was at least partially fuelled by... Russia :D

Top Bottom