Contact us

EUROVISION 2023 - General Discussion thread

Mainshow

Veteran
:mt: , :lv: and :ie: are almost already out at this point... 2 countries "left" in semi 1 if you ask me.

(as long as :mt: won´t change their entry again - Brooke´s "Checkmate" will miserably flop).

MopManMoss

Veteran
What´s wrong with their authentic "accents"?
I perfectly understood them and I prefer them other hosts pronouncing :ch: as "Swederland" :D
Because strong regional accents to people as english as a second or third language arent overly accessible, they are fine for domestic events but international events should have more generic english accents imo so that the most people possible can understand

Mainshow

Veteran
Because strong regional accents to people as english as a second or third language arent overly accessible, they are fine for domestic events but international events should have more generic english accents imo so that the most people possible can understand
Don´t they all have commentators to explain the rules, etc?
Apart from them saying "Good evening, Europe! Good morning, Australia" and "start voting now!", hosts have been quite unnecessary anyway :D

Ezio

Veteran
So happy Spain gets to vote for us

Ezio

Veteran
Austria and our bestie Slovenia paying tribute together in 2nd half of 2nd semi to Edgar Allen Poe. So historic.

aef

Hahah concerning the slogan and the log - interesting. "United by music" actually was my very first idea of a slogan for this year's edition. I mean it's basically the first idea that comes into your mind. Because of UNITED Kingdom, because of UK and Ukraine organizing the contest together, showing Unity because of the war situation...

But hey, I NEVER thought that they would really chose this one. Actually I'm not super excited about it. It feels like a very lazy and also pretty generic sounding choice. It doesn't fill me with positive emotions yet. Neither does the artwork. It's also quite lazy to use the Eurovision heart for their artwork. And the colour choice, I don't know. The coulours don't much that well in my opinion.

But in the end I have to admit that I've been very reserved about many slogan/logo/artwork of the past Eurovision editions. I quite liked Open up's logo (not so much the slogan). I really liked :pt: logo and slogan. The rest of the past years was alway a little bit meh. I have to say that "The sound of beauty" and its colours seem pretty decent and elaborate, looking back to it from now - especially compared to this years slogan and logo.

Ezio

Veteran
The logo really looks like optimized for smartphone use. Logos these days got more and more bland, because they have to look sharp on mobile devices. This Eurovision logo with three colors for monochromatic heart beads couldnt be less stunning.

all big companies dwarfed their logos from interesting to a monochromatic shape or a letter. No serif fonts, only Arial and Helvetica. It‘s kinda sad and annoying.

kudos to Italy for all these swirls and twirls in their logo last year.

A-lister

Veteran
Pretty good draw for :se: with :no: :fi: and if I'm not mistaken :ie: :mt: :il: :nl: and :de: tend to vote for us, but perhaps with all televote it might look differently.

:pl: has a pretty good draw with :uk: :ua: :lt: :is: :dk:

:gr: has a good one as well with :cy: :uk: :au: and :be: (:am: and :ge: too?)

MopManMoss

Veteran
The logo really looks like optimized for smartphone use. Logos these days got more and more bland, because they have to look sharp on mobile devices. This Eurovision logo with three colors for monochromatic heart beads couldnt be less stunning.

all big companies dwarfed their logos from interesting to a monochromatic shape or a letter. No serif fonts, only Arial and Helvetica. It‘s kinda sad and annoying.

kudos to Italy for all these swirls and twirls in their logo last year.
You have to just be a contrarian at this point, I completely get not liking this years logo but there is nothing to praise in Turin's logo, RAI barely tried with it

Ezio

Veteran
You have to just be a contrarian at this point, I completely get not liking this years logo but there is nothing to praise in Turin's logo, RAI barely tried with it
You can heap us much praise on this logo as you like, it's still a bland yet eyes cancer inducing abomination

MopManMoss

Veteran
You can heap us much praise on this logo as you like, it's still a bland yet eyes cancer inducing abomination
I literally said that I completely understand not liking this years logo my point was you go on about bland logos only to praise Turin’s logo which received universal criticism for being bland and lacking any theme or effort whatsoever

aef

I really hope that the UK host of the Eurovision shows won't have too strong accents. Last night, especially AJ was sometimes hard to understand for foreigners.

aef

I literally said that I completely understand not liking this years logo my point was you go on about bland logos only to praise Turin’s logo which received universal criticism for being bland and lacking any theme or effort whatsoever

I mean sometimes it's more an artwork than a logo but I definitely wouldn't say that last years artwork lacked effort. Yes, I've been quite reserved about it at the beginning too but looking back at it, it's actually quite nice.

The thing that triggers me the most from this years logo are the colours. They are very "in your face" on the one side, on the other side the yellow-pink combinations feels quite overused tbh. Also the German liberal party FDP are using similar colours so they remind of them in a very unpleasant way.

If I had to chose the best logo/ artwork of the past editions, I would probably choose :nl: 2021 because I very much liked the logo and also how they transformed it into a very nice screen design. Their postcards have also been something completely new, with a nice combination of artist insights and pictures of local places.

Ezio

Veteran
Because the Turin logo was beau beau beautiful

Mainshow

Veteran
Top Bottom