Contact us

Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics

esc87fan

Some early results in pre-opening ceremony events:

Our mixed doubles curling team lost its opening match to Great Britain 6-4. However, the women's hockey team thumped Switzerland 12-1

heke1988

Two of three Finnish male freestyle (Moguls) qualified to final. Women's ice hockey USA is beating us badly:LOL: .

esc87fan

:ca: update

Mikaël Kingsbury easily qualified to the men's moguls final, on the women's side Justine Dufour-Lapointe squeaked into the last direct qualification spot while her sister Chloé will get another chance in the second qualifier

The mixed doubles curling team bounced back from their loss to GB with a 7-6 win over Norway

heke1988

Well :us: women's hockey team beat :fi: women's hockey team by 5-2. Susanna Tapani scored both :fi: goals.

ShoeFlo

Germanys flagbearers will be announced tomorrow afaik

The flag will be carried by one male and one female athlete.

The bearers have been decided by a poll in which everybody could participate

The woman contenders are: Ice skater legend Claudia Pechstein, Natalie Geisenberger (Luge) and Ramona Hofmeister (Snowboard)
The men contenders are: Francesco Friedrich (Bob), Moritz Müller (Ice Hockey), Tobias Wendl (Luge)

I guess the woman bearer might become Claudia Pechstein. This is her 8th participation in Olympic Games, she is now holding the record together with ski jumper Noriaki Kasai.
I guess Francesco Friedrich has the best chances to become the male flag bearer. Hardly anybody is dominating a sport as much as Friedrich dominates the bob sports these days.

Just quoting myself.
I was right about our flag bearers. It will be Claudia Pechstein and Francesco Friedrich (y)

esc87fan

Mixed Doubles Curling update: John Morris and Rachel Homan defeat Switzerland 7-5 to improve to 2-1. Next game is against China

GermanBango

Yeeeehaaaaw it`s prediction time xclap

Team :de: prediction by sports

Alpine Skiing (0-2 medals)

Tough one. Seems like the conditions are veeeeery much windy up there so who knows. Guess the Germans are most likely to snatch a medal in the Team Event. Then again they were surprisingly strong at last year`s world championships.
Contenders: Kira Weidle (Downhill), Romed Baumann (Downhill), Mixed Team (Slalom Team Event), Lena Dürr (Slalom) and Linuß Strasser (Slalom)

Biathlon (0-2 medals)

My heart is bleeding as biathlon is by far my favorite sport to watch but ... the Germans (especially) the women are just not good enough atm to snatch medals en masse. I do think that the guys will get at least one medal somewhere though. Fingers crossed.
Contenders: Benedikt Doll and the Men Relay

Bobsleigh (4-6 medals)
Well not much to say here.Gotta get those medals somewhere, right? Srsly though I wouldn`t be completely shocked if they actually won all 4 golds. Well ... probably not the monobob one but ...we shall see.
Contenders: All of them really

Cross-Country Skiing (0-1 medals)
Basically impossible to win a medal here considering the Scandinavian/Russian domination. IF at all I`d say Katharina Hennig has a shot at bronze in the 10km classic race. But I would be very surprised tbh.
Contenders: Katharina Hennig (10 km)

Ice Hockey (0-1 medals)
I`m down for another upset silver guys but it´s close to impossible to recreate that.

Luge (4-6 medals)
Medals guaranteed basically. Anything but at least three golds would be a massive surprise to me. Gotta admit that the men were pretty meh in the training runs though. The women might even win all three medals and the doubles could very well win two. As for the team ... gold pls.

Nordic Combined (1-3 medals)
I mean ... it`s not gonna be as good as it was four years ago, that´s for sure. The Germans are just too inconsistent on the hills. They will win a medal in the Team Relay 99% ... probably not gold though as I expect the Austrians to have a massive lead after the jumping.

Skeleton (1-3 medals)
Not much to say. Women and men are all more than capable of winning medals, golden ones even.

Ski Jumping (2-5 medals)
This one`s a big ? for me. I am certain that they will win medals in the Team and Mixed Team events. Other than that ... phew idk. Katharina Althaus seems poised to win the first German medal at these Olympics but then again ... there are soooo many strong Slovenes. As for the guys ... well a few days ago I would have said two medals here are likely but they do seem to have their issues with the regular hill.
Contenders: Katharina Althaus, Karl Geiger, Markus Eisenbichler as well as the Mixed and Men Team

Snowboarding (1-3 medals)
I expect strong competitions from the male crossers and the male as well as the female giantslalom boarders.
Contenders: Ramona Hofmeister (GS), Stefan Baumeister (GS), Martin Nörl (Cross), Paul Berg (Cross)

Definitely no medals in Curling, Figure Skating, Speed Skating, Short Track and Freestyle Skiing

Overall prediction:
23-30 medals (With 7-11 golds)

ShoeFlo

Freestyle Skiing is not a hopeless case for Team Germany. Florian Wilmsmann has realistic chances to win a medal in the Skicross event. It's for sure more realistic than a medal in Cross-Country Skiing

In Nordic Combined team event I don't expect the Austrians to beat us. The Norwegians might do though.

Other than that, the prediction looks good.

GermanBango

Freestyle Skiing is not a hopeless case for Team Germany. Florian Wilmsmann has realistic chances to win a medal in the Skicross event. It's for sure more realistic than a medal in Cross-Country Skiing

In Nordic Combined team event I don't expect the Austrians to beat us. The Norwegians might do though.

Other than that, the prediction looks good.
You are not wrong. I didn´t want to be tooooooo positive this time haha.
Well hmm I`d say the Austrians are better on the hill while the Norwegians are the one to beat on the track. It all depends on how big the gap will be after the jumping.

heke1988

Our one medal hopes Enni Rukajärvi qualified to Women's Snowboard Slopestyle final. This will be her third time to be on finla (in Sotshi she was second and in Pyeongchang she was third. So perhaps gold this time?;) Carola Niemelä was 26th and didn't qualify to final.

Right now Canada's women hockey team is beating us badly.

GermanBango

Well the biathlon mixed relay went as expected. The conditions were a joke, not gonna lie. I am actually positively surprised by the Germans - personally never thought they would enter the top 5 so maybe not all hope is lost for the upcoming races after all.

GermanBango

First medal for Germany - Congrats to Katharina Althaus xcheerLet`s ignore the fact that it wasn`t a super fair competition in the end.

EscGeek

Veteran
For the first time ever we got two medals in one event - (female ski jumping) xyaaay

Urša Bogataj = Olympic champion 2022xbow
Nika Križnar = World cup winner 2021 and bronze medalist from world championship & olympics. xbow
Ema Klinec = World champion 2021xbow

esc87fan

Two medals for Canada!

Isabelle Weidemann scored bronze in the women's 3000m in long track, making it Canada's 200th Winter Games medal all time. Mikael Kingsbury followed with silver in the men's moguls

The women's hockey team steamrolled Finland 11-1 (sorry heke!)

The mixed doubles curling team split their two games, losing to Sweden but beating the Americans, taking their record to 4-2

Top Bottom