10 3.8%

9 3.4%

2 0.8%

5 1.9%

9 3.4%

47 17.7%

• Total voters

LakZaNokte

I'd much prefer it if it wasn't about countries and so politics, but the way Eurovision sees itself they do actively promote is as that because they think that can make it more popular and so make more money.

The whole parade of contestants with national flags at the start is like the Olympics, and as everyone knows that is also about politics. You look at Eurovision forums and people tend to bring up politics and what their particular opinion is. Not everyone agrees with the concept of Israel, that may upset some and please others. National flags that some Eurovision forums tend to adore are political, country names are. Personally I'd like it to be just about the music. On forums you do get people trying to say the contest isn't about politics, but deep down you suspect most of them know there is a political element and maybe many even want that. But those people also only want it political on their own terms, reflecting what they like.
But without national element, nobody would watch it xshrug

Same goes for Olympics. Why would anyone watch hundreds of random athletes determined only by name?

Also, I am not upset over political aspect of esc, I actually like it, it adds some flavor in all this. I mean, this is Europe, everything is politics here xrofl2
That being said, I do not resent icelandic performer making a political statement at all, I resent this statement in this occasion etc. But that’s the way it goes, if u make any political statement, u must be prepaired for consuquences. Always, not just in esc or Europe.

Btw, it’s not like I am now hating on Iceland or whatever :mrgreen:

musicfan

I don't know how true it is but I read that one of Madonna's dancers had the Palestinian flag on her back at the end of that routine. I don't think it's much of a surprise that there was a protest about Israel somewhere.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I don't know how true it is but I read that one of Madonna's dancers had the Palestinian flag on her back at the end of that routine. I don't think it's much of a surprise that there was a protest about Israel somewhere.

Taken from this article https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Madonna-Iceland-include-Palestinian-flags-at-Eurovision-590072

Regarding Madonna, organizers said "this element of the performance was not part of the rehearsals which had been cleared with the EBU and the Host Broadcaster, KAN. The Eurovision Song Contest is a non-political event and Madonna had been made aware of this."

And when it came to Iceland, the EBU indicated it was considering punitive action against the country.

"The Eurovision Song Contest is a non-political event and this directly contradicts the contest rules," the EBU said early Sunday morning. "The banners were quickly removed and the consequences of this action will be discussed by the Reference Group (the contest's executive board) after the contest."

popavapeur

is there nobody here that is asking why KAN did let this air ?

There are videos that shows what happened before and they were already ready with the flags, so they knew it was coming.

You can think whatever you want about it, but I hope everybody is going to be honest and wonder why the EBU and KAN let that air. I guess KAN knew a punishment was on the way and they let Iceland have it cause they were trolling Israel since the beginning.

(then the madonna thing)

gingerale

I just don't know what to think about the flag thing. Somehow I always knew they were up for something and probably I would be disappointed if they did just nothing. But I expected it to be more clever. On the other hand it was clever, because it was the last moment possible with the biggest attention from the viewers.

The scarfs just looked so cheap. Didn't match the BDSM look. :?

There are videos that shows what happened before and they were already ready with the flags, so they knew it was coming.

OK. Thank you for pointing that out.

Teaisloveable

In other less controversial news, I'm so glad I've found this video of the song being interpreted in sign language

PashonFrut

They were holding free palestine banners. Kind of rude lol

Ichbinjari

If they really wanted to make a statement, they should never gone to Tel Aviv in the first place.

crashworld

Veteran
Iveta didn't face any sanction for carrying the flag of Armenian-occupied Karabakh, then why would carrying the flag of a de jure sovereign state be such a big deal? :rolleyes:

Just an opinion.

I think the difference is Hatari did the "movement" in the hosting country that is involved in the Palestine issue.
If Iveta did it when the hosting nation is Azerbaijan, I guess she will face the same reaction as Hatari.

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
I'm grateful to Eurovision for introducing such a gorgeous group like Hatari to me.:cool: They are really cool, they are unique, unlike anyone else.

The performance in the final was unforgettable, I voted several times.:mrgreen:
Happy that Iceland received 7 televote points and even 2 jury points from Russia. :)
I really wanted them to be in the top-3, but still glad they got into the top-10, and the country achieved their best result in 10 years.

I realize that this flag scandal is rather controversial, but this just can't stop me from loving their song and performance, and being happy for their top-10.

0scar

If they take action against Iceland, they are hypocrites because they didn't punish Armenia.

This isn't the same situation. It would be if Iveta showed the flag in Azerbaijan, but she didn't.

Chorizo

This isn't the same situation. It would be if Iveta showed the flag in Azerbaijan, but she didn't.

Flags aren't banned. Did the EBU state in advance that flags of Palestine are banned at the venue? I have not heard of such a ban. It's more like Serhat showing a Turkish flag, which has nothing to do with his Eurovision entry and was just a personal statement.

toinou03

Plus. Who Cares about Nagorny Karabagh except Armenia and Azerbaïjan...

wtf

I wonder how many of the Twitter fans know anything about the Crimea situation at all? If they did, would they still be shading Jamala and calling Hatari bold at the same time? I know they're not exactly similar cases, but if you're against bringing politics into Eurovision, then why have double standards?

In the end, Jamala had every right to ask Maruv about her stance on the conflict, didn't she?

Halldor

Thank you Hatari for bringing the highlight of the night, Iceland is very proud of you!!!

crashworld

Veteran
Flags aren't banned. Did the EBU state in advance that flags of Palestine are banned at the venue? I have not heard of such a ban. It's more like Serhat showing a Turkish flag, which has nothing to do with his Eurovision entry and was just a personal statement.

Serhat is Turkish so at least there is a personal connection as he can be seen as pay homage to his roots rather than being political.
But for Hatari, they have been vocal about their stand on the Palestine issue, so the stunt that they pull is rather provocative and filled with political intent isn't it?

Daybreak

Next to all the hoopla with the flag stunt, let's not forget that Iceland is back in the top 10 for the first time since Yohanna and with an Icelandic song no less!

crashworld

Veteran
Next to all the hoopla with the flag stunt, let's not forget that Iceland is back in the top 10 for the first time since Yohanna and with an Icelandic song no less!

Sorry but Yohanna >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hatari. She was robbed from winning the title.

Top Bottom