10 3.8%

9 3.4%

2 0.8%

5 1.9%

9 3.4%

47 17.7%

• Total voters

Grinch

If they really wanted to make a statement, they should never gone to Tel Aviv in the first place.

Bu this is more effective and shocking :mrgreen:

Ichbinjari

Bu this is more effective and shocking :mrgreen:

No it isn't, it is a sad cry for attention (for their own sake). People are talking about the act of this action and not about the message they wanted to send across. There is a place and time for making this statement, but that was not yesterday in the Greenroom.

Chorizo

Serhat is Turkish so at least there is a personal connection as he can be seen as pay homage to his roots rather than being political.
But for Hatari, they have been vocal about their stand on the Palestine issue, so the stunt that they pull is rather provocative and filled with political intent isn't it?

It was political like so many other things in Eurovision but it wasn't a breach of the rules. Based on what the EBU has done in the past when dealing with politics, the expected response is nothing or a warning not to do it again.

I think it's time to move on and to leave this drama behind. Israel won't be punished for showing an incorrect map either. Israel brought its own political agenda to the contest and Hataria (and Madonna) added something to it. That's fine. If the host nation is political, there should be room for voicing disagreement.

ShoeFlo

In most parts a splendid and fantastic performance by Hatari yesterday if there wasn't these technical issues during the second verse when Matthias totally messed up the vocal timing. I was a little worried but I guess those people who didnt know the song, didn't even realize the error. At least my friend who heard the songs for the first time didn't notice it, she liked it a lot with this terrifying and hateful performance Hatari set a milestone and created a great contrast to the regular ESCstuff
10th is a satisfying result and Iceland's best in this decade. Seems like the years ending with a "9" are the great ones for Iceland (remember Selma in 1999 and Yohanna in 2009) however I hope we dont have to wait 10 more years for a top ten result

The Palestina statement after the points announcement was brave yet inappropriate and a little cheap tbh. I think they could find smarter and subtle ways to protest. I know Eurovision isn't an unpolitical contest anymore but Ive always wished it was a place in which politics dont play a role so I don't support this way of protest. Especially as the moderators and the organizers made a big effort and dont deserve to get pushed in such an awkward situation.

BernadetteCydonia

Re: ICELAND 2019

hi bitchs I'm here again

Why can you never keep a song in your own language?

funny how not only did we get an Icelandic song in Eurovision again since 2013, but it was the first Eurovision song in Icelandic to make it to top 10 since 1992, and even before that they only did it in 1990... so hate their controversies all you want, you can't deny that Hatari at least made history. Together with Páll Oskár, Sylvia Night and Pöllaponk, they will remain perhaps one of the most iconic Icelandic ESC performers. And only one of them 4 came top 10. 10th is just a tip of the small iceberg, but still rather impactful. I'm very grateful for Europe for actually choosing different and actually voting for Iceland! My heart might be not over for AWS's result still, but at least Hatari's Eurovision stint and THIS result is on their way to patch things up for me. And lastly... Þakka þér fyrir, Ísland!
bawling.gif
xheart

p.s.: not only they did top 10 with an Icelandic song, but when was the last time a song with a fucked up ear piece in the finals did so well, hmm? :lol:

BernadetteCydonia

Seems like the years ending with a "9" are the great ones for Iceland (remember Selma in 1999 and Yohanna in 2009)

remember that it all started with them getting epic 0 points with Daníel Ágúst in 1989 tho... :D :lol:

The Palestina statement after the points announcement was brave yet inappropriate and a little cheap tbh. I think they could find smarter and subtle ways to protest. I know Eurovision isn't an unpolitical contest anymore but Ive always wished it was a place in which politics dont play a role so I don't support this way of protest. Especially as the moderators and the organizers made a big effort and dont deserve to get pushed in such an awkward situation.

I actually felt like they shouldn't have done that either, as I prefer politics to not influence my life, and I usually don't care about anything political unless it's big à la Brexit or the American President elections I suppose... so yeah okay well, Palestine. I'm borderline double-fenced borderline neutral on Palestine, but that was unexplainedly weird. Obviously they were gonna pull of this kind of stupid sh** though but really now? :roll:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
[MENTION=13974]DenizESC[/MENTION] Why did you emphasise friends with apostrophes? Does it make me any less of a friend and change your opinion of me just because politics is something I’d like to try and keep away from the contest which is supposed to be about music? You know, maybe we shouldn’t have the contest at all because it’s clearly impossible to have it when the world is such a fucked up place (I’m being serious). Everything seems to come back to politics one way or another. It’s unavoidable. For me Hatari’s protest should have been the song (as many fans claimed it always to be) and they should have kept it at that. Iceland won’t be banned and I don’t think they should be either. The band though went to Israel literally to “hate” and provoke, and to do their whole parody thing. Maybe they’ve got an important message to share with people but their delivery is that of trolls, and that might work for some people but it rubs me up wrong, and I feel it disrespects not only who they’ve got the problem with (as intended) but also who they’re trying to support. It’s a disservice. An enjoyable spectacle though I’m sure for fans of the contest who can get a laugh from them with a political message attached. And comparing their flag waving to Ping Pong I don’t think works as they were to my knowledge two very different situations and deliveries.

I stand by what I said though about cultural boycotts. They’re not the way forward. If that disappoints you or changes your opinion of me then I’m sorry. I’m not going to go further into anything here as it’s not the place to do it, and to further elaborate what I’d like to say I’d have to speak about things that go against the rules of discussion. You can pm me if you want.

A-lister

Veteran
I feel like I'm a bit alone in here since Hatari were my favs this year, despite me disapproving of their supposed political "message" and the unnecessary flag waving stunt... so I guess it proves that you can enjoy a song and entry for what it is without having to approve all the surrounding stuff... which is often the case with me, most of my favorite musicians, actors/actresses, directors etc. often express political views I disagree with, but I can filter that out and enjoy their work and art regardless.

[MENTION=13974]DenizESC[/MENTION] I don't want to go into a political discussion with you, but you know very well that the flag waving was not "just flag waving" but rather a way to provoke and seek attention, Hatari obviously has no connection to Palestine like Serhat has with Turkey, so let's not pretend there weren't other intentions behind this stunt.

DenizESC

Banned
There is simply not a problem in waving the Palestinian flag, if that is something that provokes Israeli people then that's a huge problem on itself as well, only more reason to wave for equality ;) there is more examples given other than Serhat's case.

You can't limit people in the way they want to express themselves it never works. I agree that ESC shouldn't have been to place for that, however that was already happening so people that disagree naturally want to voice their side as well...

You're against cultural boycotts yet indirectly take part in one form of it! The 'lets pretend the flag doesn't exist along with the people, the lets keep the problems as much away from the sights' culture of Israel is as toxic as anti-semitism. As I said I'm against that in Israel, but even in Turkey (or any other place in the world) hereby standing against my own nation. if we can't do this, we can never be neutral.

Alaska49

what i resent the most about the counter argument is that there isn't a single acnowledgement that the cause of hatari has any worth. yes, the discussion of whether eurovision is the time and place to do any sort of protest is incredibly valid and i absolutely understand the feeling that they should not have done that. i understand the desire of wanting eurovision to stay apolitical, as impossible as it is. however, qualifying your stance by calling hatari "attention whores", "trolls" and the like informs me that people believe their cause has no worth and regardless of whether you agree with their cause or not, i resent that and will never stand for it. hatari are not attention whores and hatari are not trolls. hatari are artists.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
There is simply not a problem in waving the Palestinian flag, if that is something that provokes Israeli people then that's a huge problem on itself as well, only more reason to wave for equality ;) there is more examples given other than Serhat's case.

You can't limit people in the way they want to express themselves it never works. I agree that ESC shouldn't have been to place for that, however that was already happening so people that disagree naturally want to voice their side as well...

You're against cultural boycotts yet indirectly take part in one form of it! The 'lets pretend the flag doesn't exist along with the people, the lets keep the problems as much away from the sights' culture of Israel is as toxic as anti-semitism. As I said I'm against that in Israel, but even in Turkey (or any other place in the world) hereby standing against my own nation. if we can't do this, we can never be neutral.

I don’t think anyone wants to pretend the flag doesn’t exist (in fact there’s one in my house somewhere right now as my mum befriended a man across the road who comes from Palestine and he gifted her a necklace and scarf). You’re right. We can’t control how people express themselves and we shouldn’t. When it comes to events though I don’t think it’s a sin to try and want to keep things apolitical, even if it’s impossible. There’s a time and a place.

I’ve been through a lot of crummy stuff in my life that I wouldn’t wish on anyone but one thing I’m lucky enough to say is that I’ve never had to fall asleep at night worrying if I’ll be ok in the morning. It’s horrible stuff that’s going on and innocent people on both warring sides take the brunt of it. It’s not about flags, it’s about just showing some gosh damn respect for what is a very serious thing. I detest how crass this band is. If I wanted to learn more about what’s going on I’d go elsewhere to find it. The situation doesn’t deserve their clownery and the fact people find it all entertaining is the very worst part.

Musicians should be able to share their music with their fans. My strong feelings against cultural boycotting stems from a recent string of artists who were pressured (bullied) into cancelling concerts planned for their Israeli fans. To hell with that mindset. People are people. We’ve got one life, and music can be the most pure and healing thing. I wouldn’t be here right now without it. If I had music and someone anywhere benefitted from it, I’d fly to them no matter where they are to deliver what they need. Hurting innocent people is the shitty way to try and get across a message.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
what i resent the most about the counter argument is that there isn't a single acnowledgement that the cause of hatari has any worth. yes, the discussion of whether eurovision is the time and place to do any sort of protest is incredibly valid and i absolutely understand the feeling that they should not have done that. i understand the desire of wanting eurovision to stay apolitical, as impossible as it is. however, qualifying your stance by calling hatari "attention whores", "trolls" and the like informs me that people believe their cause has no worth and regardless of whether you agree with their cause or not, i resent that and will never stand for it. hatari are not attention whores and hatari are not trolls. hatari are artists.

Cause acknowledging if their cause has worth is something for the politics section of the forum. This is about what the band did at Eurovision and whether or not it was the right place for it. I simply think it was not.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
xpolice

You guys are treading on very thin ice here. If you can't take the discussion of this incredibly complex and infected political situation between Israel and Palestine to the Politics sub-forum, this thread will have to get locked. You are of course more than welcome to debate and argue for your side of the conflict... but not here. Take it to the Politics sub-forum.

LakZaNokte

IMO, it isn’t about making Israeli pissed off, or judging the political issue (claiming one basically supports either side).

It’s about being a jerk.
I would say the same for someone waving kurdish flag in Istambul. Or going to Armenia/Azerbaijan and give either side some bs about the matter.

These conflicts have been going on for decades and u coming from another part of the world with your “support” is just bs. U and your stupid “support” won’t help or solve anything. It just comes off as pure bs, and I am literally speaking from experience, I do remember how that feels (and it’s not just me, I actually talked about this with others).

But it’s that almighty feeling that is the motivation here. ME, I am going to do “something”. Sure.

Alaska49

Cause acknowledging if their cause has worth is something for the politics section of the forum. This is about what the band did at Eurovision and whether or not it was the right place for it. I simply think it was not.
you have purposefully missed the point of my post for i made clear it was not meant to discuss the content of the cause but the character of the members of the band. i remain disappointed that people see them this way.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I don’t think I’ve even once argued my side of the conflict here. I’ve just been talking about what the band did in the context of Eurovision and how inappropriate I found it. I don’t think anything I’ve said so far even would even warrant being moved to the politics section (I hope).

DenizESC

Banned
Lol we should not care for people starving in Africa either, we should stop donating and raising awareness. With that logic that would be just us being egoistic.

Sure lmao let everyone die, starve and kill each other.

The sad thing is, if this actually happened then it would still be better than what it is now. Hatari is not projecting us something new, they are showing the world that they are not on mainstream side thats all.

To Lakzaknokte or someth

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
you have purposefully missed the point of my post for i made clear it was not meant to discuss the content of the cause but the character of the members of the band. i remain disappointed that people see them this way.

Their cause is delivered in an obnoxious, crass, hammy way, and I don’t like their vibe. I like a lot of oddballs but something about them instantly didn’t click with me, and over the months I’ve come to understand why. They act like dicks (emphasis on the act). I don’t like that. I’m willing to listen to people who have something to say, but I’d honestly rather go elsewhere for it. People may enjoy their art and way of presenting what they have to say. I don’t. Does it have worth? Yes. Never silence anyone. I find them honestly boring though. Every ESC moment with them for me has been an eye roll apart from when they summoned Hera Björk’s leg to the ceiling that one time.

Top Bottom