Albanian national broadcaster Radio Televizioni Shqiptar (RTSH) has announced the finalists for the 52nd edition of Festivali i Këngës, the winner of which will compete in the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen.
Semifinals will be held on 26 and 27 December, with the final being held on 28 December.
The 16 participants are:
- Ti mungon (You’re missing) – Marjeta Billo
- Zemërimi i një nate (One night’s anger) – Herciana Matmuja
- Jeta në orën 4 (Life at 4 o’clock) – Orges Toce
- Jam larg (I’m far away) – Besiana Mehmeti and Shkodran Tolaj
- Grua (Wife) – Sajmir Braho
- Nuk e di (I don’t know) – Renis Gjoka
- Natë e pare (First night) – Venera Lumani and Lindi Islami
- Një ditë shprese (One hopeful day) – Frederik Ndoci
- Në zemër (In the heart) – Rezarta Smaja
- Mikja ime (My friend) – Blerina Braka
- Me ty (With you) – Klodian Kacani
- Kur qielli qan (When the sky cries) – Xhejn & Enxhi Kumrija
- Kthehu (Come back) – Luiz Ejlli
- Princesha (The Princess) – Lynx
- Vetëm për ty (Only for you) – Saviana Verdha and Edmond Mancaku
- Ëndërrat janë ëndërra (Dreams are dreams) – Xhejsi Jorgaqi
Two names on the list are familiar to Eurovision fans. Luiz Ejlli represented Albania in 2006 with “Zjarr e ftohtë”, and Frederik Ndoci followed in 2007 with the song “Hear My Plea”. Both songs did not qualify for the final in their respective years. Ndoci’s attempt was Albania’s worst placement in Eurovision so far, 17th out of 28 in the semifinal.
Albania has used Festivali i Këngës for its Eurovision entrant since its debut in 2004, where it has had a rocky track record. Out of their ten appearances on the Eurovision stage, six qualified for the final with two 16th places and two 17th places. Albania’s best entry so far has been Rona Nishliu’s “Suus”, which received 5th place in 2012.
How do you like Albania’s national final lineup? Will Luiz Ejlli or Frederik Ndoci take the big stage for Albania once again, or will a new face represent their country this time around? Will someone finally take the trophy back to Tirana? Discuss with other fans in our Albania 2014 forum!