Contact us

Your thoughts on 100% televote system for semi finals

I am

• For it

• Against it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ajeje Brazorf

100% televote will be absolutely rubbish and EBU already experimented that back in the 2000's, so they know it will be rubbish. I'm more for a 60/40 percentage in favour of public vote and for the extension of Jury panels to at least 15-20 members for every country.

Ezio

Veteran
@Uto you are right. The juries decided for the second time single handedly the winner. It was always Sweden. Annihilating televoting is quite the scandal actually.

Codeword Iroquois

I don't want to get into the debate too much, but what I'll say is that while systems designed to prevent people from mucking things up in voting (be it the juries or, say, the electoral college,) aren't always perfect, I think they provide a critical balancing role that helps make up for the times when the popular vote jumps completely in one direction, especially in a case where certain genres or countries are at a disadvantage with the televote for whatever reason, enabling them to have a greater chance.

And there is a difference between 'it worked' and 'it bettered the contest'.

Loindici

Veteran
How would we come to that conclusion exactly? The poll is 45 no over 32 yes

Ah, thank you for pointing out. I was just reading what's being posted here without taking the poll into account.

Ezio

Veteran
I watched the YouTube of a trained classical musician and Eurovision Fan who took a deep dive into jury votes and I hope EBU took notes.

Juries are not representative of the genres. 2/3 of jurors are from pop music industry or have classical music background. But only 1/3 of songs are actual pop songs. Which means a safe pop song with a vocally strong presentation will get more points than a different song.

there are no jurors for rap and for the ethnic songs whcih make up for 25% to 33% of the songs.
there are Apparent biases against non-pop genres, niche entries, non-English entries.

without these biases Spain would have been the logical jury winner this year. Best vocals, not a single bum note. Portugal 2017 should not have been eliminate.

jurors are too old. In fact their average is 3 years older than myself and 16 years older than the average performer. jurors with average over 50 blanked Finland this year completely while jurors unDer 40 gave him a lot of points. Jurors should be more representative of the age group of the artists and not of the age group of their parents.

Juries of 5 people should represent equity and diversity and not overrepresent pop. Or we will see soon only a mainstream pop contest like in 2016 but forever.

so, we need a better jury system with equitable stakes in each jury, and we need a better televote system so that running order won’t matter anymore, 1 vote maximum per country and voting is open after the first song, first example. If you like it, vote for it. Annihiliting diaspora votes and giving songs a chance when Eurovision goes into a country battle.

12Pointsgoto.....

I watched the YouTube of a trained classical musician and Eurovision Fan who took a deep dive into jury votes and I hope EBU took notes.

Juries are not representative of the genres. 2/3 of jurors are from pop music industry or have classical music background. But only 1/3 of songs are actual pop songs. Which means a safe pop song with a vocally strong presentation will get more points than a different song.

there are no jurors for rap and for the ethnic songs whcih make up for 25% to 33% of the songs.
there are Apparent biases against non-pop genres, niche entries, non-English entries.

without these biases Spain would have been the logical jury winner this year. Best vocals, not a single bum note. Portugal 2017 should not have been eliminate.

jurors are too old. In fact their average is 3 years older than myself and 16 years older than the average performer. jurors with average over 50 blanked Finland this year completely while jurors unDer 40 gave him a lot of points. Jurors should be more representative of the age group of the artists and not of the age group of their parents.

Juries of 5 people should represent equity and diversity and not overrepresent pop. Or we will see soon only a mainstream pop contest like in 2016 but forever.

so, we need a better jury system with equitable stakes in each jury, and we need a better televote system so that running order won’t matter anymore, 1 vote maximum per country and voting is open after the first song, first example. If you like it, vote for it. Annihiliting diaspora votes and giving songs a chance when Eurovision goes into a country battle.
Which Youtuber?

A-lister

Veteran
Juryvision = Boringvision = Datedvision = Anglovision = Snoozevision

We would have had Switzerland winning in 2021 for instance over Måneskin, nothing against Gjon's Tears but how out of touch can you be as "professionals" to rob the victory of what has become like the biggest thing coming out of Eurovision since Celine Dion (and I didn't even have Måneskin as my personal fav that year, that's just stating an objective fact).

In 2019 we would have had a dated clichéd Eurovision ballad that wasn't even top. 10 with the viewers.

And don't get me started on all the interesting, local, out of the box entries we missed out on in favor of safe ballads and Swedish-penned radio Pop in English...

Y'all drinking the cool aid for promoting the juries! Y'all in Matrix!

Last edited:

jatojo

At the moment, my opinion is: 30% jury influence in both semi and final.

aeon

No juries, thank you very much.

They failed, many block voted in past years as well and new music gets ignored.

If you are afraid of joke entries let a transnational jury exclude them 2 month before ESC so that a country can send another entry. Bet they would not dare to exclude anyone. What you see as joke entry could for me be avantgarde art. Take this years Croatia entry as an example.

All songs that should have qualified - qualified.

Pop, metal, ballads and exceptionally boring ballads together with bangers, North and South, East and West, bad singers and exceptional singers, corny lyrics and strong messages, all had qualified.

Snoozefests with little artistic value anyway were left out and that was fair.

The public has passed the test. The Grand Final has never been more entertaining and strong.

We don't need the juries in the semis.

Stop preaching for them, it's turning into Stockholm syndrome. Or you're just trying to make yourselves appear elite for some reason. Break free! 🤣

P.S. Also, let me tell you a secret. The juries don't guarantee you quality because most of the songs you listen on Eurovision are no quality, but a second-hand stash left 10 years ago in some producer's studio that had been declined by several more reputable artists. The sooner you accept this, the more fun you'll have with Eurovision every year. 🤣

Last edited:

aeon

Many think we need juries to lessen diaspora votes. I found juries voted often for traditional alliances and neighbours the same as the public did.

Juries have proven over and over again that they have not a clue, they just push their genre or have some agenda they work out between themselves.

What we need is to educate and appeal to televoters to be fair in giving the vote during the broadcast. It is not a popularity contest for a country. If this is well done it could lessen the impact.

It should be 100% decided by people. Maximum 5 entries but each entry you choose your five favourites ranked 1 to 5

12Pointsgoto.....

I feel like to solve the running order issue, we definitely need to have the running order go in reverse order. They did this before, and I do not know why they stopped. They could also potentially re-introduce the Jury save in the semi-final, like they used to do the last time we had 100% televote.

Codeword Iroquois

Stop preaching for them, it's turning into Stockholm syndrome. Or you're just trying to make yourselves appear elite for some reason. Break free!
Or it could just be that my taste and the taste of the populace don't really line up, and songs I like do better when the juries are involved. The juries aren't perfect, but they do mean that my favorite songs have a better chance of qualifying.

A-lister

Veteran
All songs that should have qualified - qualified.

Pop, metal, ballads and exceptionally boring ballads together with bangers, North and South, East and West, bad singers and exceptional singers, corny lyrics and strong messages, all had qualified.

Snoozefests with little artistic value anyway were left out and that was fair.

The public has passed the test. The Grand Final has never been more entertaining and strong.

We don't need the juries in the semis.

Stop preaching for them, it's turning into Stockholm syndrome. Or you're just trying to make yourselves appear elite for some reason. Break free! 🤣

P.S. Also, let me tell you a secret. The juries don't guarantee you quality because most of the songs you listen on Eurovision are no quality, but a second-hand stash left 10 years ago in some producer's studio that had been declined by several more reputable artists. The sooner you accept this, the more fun you'll have with Eurovision every year. 🤣

This! Stockholm Syndrome is a good expression...

Like we got a diverse fun final with all different genres, when juries are in power it's more same-ish and boring tbh. It's not like the jury baiting ballads (Estonia) or the radio Pop songs that juries also like (Sweden for instance) didn't make it to the final... But at least Eurovision feels more alive and diverse and that is very much thanks to the televoters, not the juries. I just look at last year which had some good songs, but overall was a pretty dull year... This is the results of jury power because broadcasters want to play it safe when they're around, with televoters there is more room to experiment.

The 100% televote semis need to stay, I dread bringing the juries back to destroy the fun. They already destroyed it in the final with the uproportional push for Sweden and the downgrade of Finland, that sh*t was not ok! And like I pointed out, if juries would have all the say we would literally have winners that no one really cares for, I don't know how that is helping Eurovision?

Last edited:
I feel like to solve the running order issue, we definitely need to have the running order go in reverse order. They did this before, and I do not know why they stopped. They could also potentially re-introduce the Jury save in the semi-final, like they used to do the last time we had 100% televote.

The idea of the contest is that every taste should be represented, not only mine or yours.

Top Bottom