Contact us

Would like to learn a new language...

Grinch

Nice :D

Lille

I think Hungarian is difficult (but I guess not for me :D ). I can recommend you Russian or Swedish, I love both of them :)

I'm learning Hebrew right now, and afterwards I wanna learn Japanese (which I actually started already)

stevan989

I'm not so good in languages... First, my English is not so good and I want to be better in that. Also, I like Italian and Spanish and I'm interesting to learn these languages once :D

handeyener

Currently i´m studying russian at university, i´m learning romanian by myself and i would like to learn bulgarian, portuguese and turkish...

vatroslav_cro

Croatia/ Kroatien/ Croatie/ Croacia/ Croazia/ Hrva
Me too... maybe Finnish would be the most interesting one....well ok it is not really a Scandinavian language....it's the Ugro-finn group...Icelandic would be good for learning also;)

sannerz

Yep, Finnish is closer to Hungarian than anything else, right?

Icelandic is still more different than the three other Scandi languages. I'd like to learn Swedish the most, since I want to move to Stockholm. :)

vatroslav_cro

Croatia/ Kroatien/ Croatie/ Croacia/ Croazia/ Hrva
Yes I learned Hungarian during elementary school, as a non-obligation subject, but hahaha...it was a long time ago and I don't really know to speak, understand some phrases (grasps) but nothing else than that....very hard language indeed;)... Finnish looks easier but I am not sure....

Asiye

I heard that Hungarian was close to Turkish, something like both of them came from the same origin :) I wonder if it's true.

By the way @Kicker, good luck on Turkish :)

I want to learn Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian and maybe Persian but i like Spanish most :) Spanish sounds very nice. I don't know why but everything about Spain attracts me :D Also I like Scandinavian languages too.

Kicker

I heard that Hungarian was close to Turkish, something like both of them came from the same origin :) I wonder if it's true.

Both Languages use Suffixes for building their sentences, so there is something close :)

SpZ

Yep, Finnish is closer to Hungarian than anything else, right?

Icelandic is still more different than the three other Scandi languages. I'd like to learn Swedish the most, since I want to move to Stockholm. :)

Umm no. Finnish is far closer to the other Finno-Permic languages than to Hungarian. Eg notably Estonian, Sami languages and languages spoken in the western part of Russia.

amateur

By the way @Kicker, good luck on Turkish :)

I want to learn Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian and maybe Persian but i like Spanish most :) Spanish sounds very nice. I don't know why but everything about Spain attracts me :D Also I like Scandinavian languages too.

It is taught that both languages are in the Ural-Altaic language family in Turkish schools (Hungarian in the Uralic, Turkish in the Altaic branch), but this bull****, as there is nothing called Ural-Altaic language family and even the existence of Altaic language family itself is controversial.

But the two languages are both agglutinative as mentioned, so yes, they are similar.

Last edited:

Canuck

Umm no. Finnish is far closer to the other Finno-Permic languages than to Hungarian. Eg notably Estonian, Sami languages and languages spoken in the western part of Russia.

Sannerz:

The Finnic languages, Sami, and Hungarian languages are all part of the Uralic language group. Hungarian is the most spoken language of the Uralic -> Ugric subdivision by millions (the other two Ugric languages are spoken by less than 20,000 people. Therefore, rather than Finnish being closer to Hungarian, Hungarian is closer to Finnish. This doesn't go the other way around, because Estonian is more closely related to Finnish as they are both part of the Uralic --> Finnic subdivision

HOWEVER: due to the geographical distance between Hungary and Finland, I would highly doubt that there's really any mutual intelligibility between the two languages, as they've been allowed to evolve separately for thousands of years; rather, sentence structure and such is where you would find common-ground.

SpZ

Sannerz:
HOWEVER: due to the geographical distance between Hungary and Finland, I would highly doubt that there's really any mutual intelligibility between the two languages, as they've been allowed to evolve separately for thousands of years; rather, sentence structure and such is where you would find common-ground.

Indeed there isn't any

Top Bottom