Contact us

What countries do you think should win in the upcoming years to benefit ESC the most?

A-lister

Veteran
For the 2013 edition we had withdrawals based on economical situations but also based on dissatisfaction with the contest itself and the countries' results and lack of public interest.

What countries do you think would benefit ESC the most? I mean in terms of getting a higher public interest, helping the contest's credibility and making countries comeback that stay out based on lack of interest and dissatisfaction (and also minimizing risks of further withdrawals).

Of course, it should be about the music, but just hypothetically speaking. And no, this is not a ranking of "favorite" countries, more which wins you'd think benefit Eurovision in the upcoming years.

A-lister

Veteran
I'd say (in no particular order):

:at:, :ch:, :hu: = would prove that the Central European countries can make it and could potentially lead to comebacks by dissatisfied central-European countries such as :pl:, :sk: and :cz: and especially a win for :at: and :ch: would make dissatisfied and "unlucky" western countries see possibilities again.

:fr:, :uk:, :es: and :it: = well, the "big" countries (bar :it:) haven't been that successful, a win for any of them would probably gain public interest in general and credibility for the countries (:de: winning in 2010 did help changing the German opinion about the contest quite much).

:nl:, :be: = A win for a Benelux country would have a similar effect as for a Central-European one I think, also it could mean a comeback for :lu:.

:mt:, :sm: = The latter is highly unlikely, but a win for a small country without a diaspora or 'bloc' would sort of mean that any country could potentially win, also we could get comebacks by other microstates that dropped out because of their disadvatange like :mc:, :ad: and :lu: and a debut by :li: would seem likely aswell. The whole notion though that "any country could win" would work in favor of the contest and could potentially lead to comebacks by other dissatisfied countries (not just the tiny ones).

Mickey

I mostly agree with your list, but would add the qualifier, that countries would also need to be able to host the contest to benefit ESC. I don't think it would be good for the image of ESC to have the winner decline hosting and for there to follow a (perhaps difficult) search for a replacement.

I'd like to think Malta could afford to host, but I think a small country winning could make such countries less likely to want to enter, at least while the economy is still the way it is.

dragvision

Banned
if russia win many east europe country can come back
if azerbaigian win turkey come on back
if malta tunisia can make a debut

DanielLuis

if russia win many east europe country can come back
if azerbaigian win turkey come on back
if malta tunisia can make a debut

All the eastern european countries are in though. Besides, a Russian win would go intp the stereotype that Mother Russia as the support of all the ex-soviet nations.

Jim

I think if Hungary will win, then surely we will have back to the contest, Poland, Slovakia & Czech Republic. If France will win, we will have again Monaco, Portugal & Andorra, maybe Morocco too! If Switzerland or Germany or Austria will win, we will have the debut of Liechtenstein for sure. Maybe even Poland and Czech Republic and Slovakia will be back.

CC92

I see where you come from but I full-heartedly despise the message of this topic. If broadcasters (and people) care more for the "right" countries to win rather than the right songs, and I know this is partly the case right now, then we have a problem in their minds which needs to be fixed but not with the Eurovision winners. Until then, by the way, it is impossible to stop all sides from complaining quite regardless of who is winning. In the noughties we saw a couple of tiny eastern and politically unpopular countries taking the victory – the media were ranting about post-communist cliquism and immigrants' voting. These days we face a run of well-heeled countries placing first, suddenly it turns to be all about bought and pre-decided victories and unfair conditions for financially poorer countries. Would something enduringly change if let us say Austria won? No, because then in the words of some others (or the same even) it would be just another western winner which only happens to have an influential brother country and moreover keeps an extremely touchy attitude towards the contest and therefore does not deserve to attain. It is probably difficult to deny that in any of these lines of arguments a grain of truth is to be found but in general the caring-for-nations-thing is politically motivated nonsense propaganda ESC ought not to pursuance with.

nofuxCZ

I think if Hungary will win, then surely we will have back to the contest, Poland, Slovakia & Czech Republic.
Are you sure? Are you aware of the very complicated relationship and (not only) diplomatic conflicts Hungary and Slovakia have?
As for the Czech Republic, only Slovakia's win and/or fundamental changes to the ESC format would bring us back (that's what our broadcaster said after our withdrawal in 2009 - that Eurovision format is old-fashioned and they would consider a return only if significant changes will be made to the contest's format - I have no idea what changes they meant tho xshrug).

I'd like to see a central European country win the contest, not only because I'm central-European myself, but also because I seriously think many of the Slovak, Polish, Hungarian and Austrian entries were criminally underrated.

The most beneficial thing for ESC right now would be a small country (like Malta, Cyprus, San Marino, Montenegro etc.) winning with a great song :mrgreen: It would be a clear signal that "any country can win with a good song" and also it could lead to a return of other dissatisfied (bigger) countries, as A-lister said.

A-lister

Veteran
I see where you come from but I full-heartedly despise the message of this topic. If broadcasters (and people) care more for the "right" countries to win rather than the right songs, and I know this is partly the case right now, then we have a problem in their minds which needs to be fixed but not with the Eurovision winners. Until then, by the way, it is impossible to stop all sides from complaining quite regardless of who is winning. In the noughties we saw a couple of tiny eastern and politically unpopular countries taking the victory – the media were ranting about post-communist cliquism and immigrants' voting. These days we face a run of well-heeled countries placing first, suddenly it turns to be all about bought and pre-decided victories and unfair conditions for financially poorer countries. Would something enduringly change if let us say Austria won? No, because then in the words of some others (or the same even) it would be just another western winner which only happens to have an influential brother country and moreover keeps an extremely touchy attitude towards the contest and therefore does not deserve to attain. It is probably difficult to deny that in any of these lines of arguments a grain of truth is to be found but in general the caring-for-nations-thing is politically motivated nonsense propaganda ESC ought not to pursuance with.

While I agree with your comment, you should read the last sentence in my initial post. I totally agree that this should be about music first and foremost, and that countries should win based on what they bring to the table and not based on what country they happen to be of course, however this have very seldom been the case in ESC regardless of when in ESC history you tend to look at it, and although I agree that it shouldn't matter some wins might have a different influence on ESC than others. I don't encourage a thinking like that, but it's still an interesting subject to discuss nevertheless.

So this thread is just a hypothetical discussion and should taken with a grain of salt, it's more meant to be a discussion if some wins would benefit ESC in terms of popularity, regained interest in some countries etc., and not a way to promote tactical/political voting or "favor" countries or anything like that. Imo all countries should be treated equally in ESC and the music should be the only matter and no winners should "mean more" than others, but reality doesn't look like that unfortunately. If all people and broadcasters would treat ESC like we do then we wouldn't have this problem with countries dropping out because of bad results etc.

A-lister

Veteran
Are you sure? Are you aware of the very complicated relationship and (not only) diplomatic conflicts Hungary and Slovakia have?
As for the Czech Republic, only Slovakia's win and/or fundamental changes to the ESC format would bring us back (that's what our broadcaster said after our withdrawal in 2009 - that Eurovision format is old-fashioned and they would consider a return only if significant changes will be made to the contest's format - I have no idea what changes they meant tho xshrug).

I'd like to see a central European country win the contest, not only because I'm central-European myself, but also because I seriously think many of the Slovak, Polish, Hungarian and Austrian entries were criminally underrated. You don't think a win for Austria or Poland would bring Czech Republic back aswell though? (well, now Poland is not in the contest either but hypothetically speaking).

The most beneficial thing for ESC right now would be a small country (like Malta, Cyprus, San Marino, Montenegro etc.) winning with a great song :mrgreen: It would be a clear signal that "any country can win with a good song" and also it could lead to a return of other dissatisfied (bigger) countries, as A-lister said.

I'm very much aware of the situation between Hungary and Slovakia, and in this case I don't think it's really Hungary winning more that if a Central-European country wins period then Slovakia might be interested again (and Hungary is one of those).

Yeah, a very small country without any actual diaspora to count on and no "voting bloc" either winning would really send a signal that if you fight for win any country could do it, I think that would really boost a general interest and I actually think it would make countries in general pay more attention and bring more effort aswell as it would mean that if you try your best then you can actually win... but of course only if you win with a good and strong entry, but in the case of the tiny countries like these I think they can't rely on luck these days to actually win.

CC92

While I agree with your comment, you should read the last sentence in my initial post. I totally agree that this should be about music, and that countries should win based on what they bring to the table and not based on what country they happen to be, however this have very seldom been the case in ESC regardless of when in ESC history you tend to look at it, and although I agree that it shouldn't matter some wins might have a different influence on ESC than others.

This thread is just a hypothetical discussion though and should of course be taken with a grain of salt, it's more a discussion if some wins would benefit ESC in terms of popularity, regained interest in some countries etc. of course the music is what should count so I totally agree with you on that and this thread was not a way to promote tactical/political voting or "favor" countries or anything like that.

I believe that any euphoric reactions for a country (and not a song) winning are politicising the contest and lead to disappointments on the 'other side'. If a Central European country won maybe Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia would come back but others might 'do a Turkey' instead because they would feel their own achievements to be degraded. I was not happy at all when ORF returned in 2011 (mind you I still would not have been happy if they had entered with smth. listenable you could call a'song').

A-lister

Veteran
I believe that any euphoric reactions for a country (and not a song) winning are politicising the contest and lead to disappointments on the 'other side'. If a Central European country won maybe Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia would come back but others might 'do a Turkey' instead because they would feel their own achievements to be degraded. I was not happy at all when ORF returned in 2011 (mind you I still would not have been happy if they had entered with smth. listenable you could call a'song').

I did a slight change to my response on the other side, but I think you got my message. I do agree with you, and I guess you know me enough by now when it comes to Eurovision that I'm totally against favorizing countries in it.

Well, I think that if countries that generally struggles finally wins it could lead to comebacks and for others actually putting more effort aswell because they'll see that putting effort won't be made in vain, but of course this will only be the case if the winning song will be a worthy one... if not then the opposite effect might occur (the one you're mentioning with countries pulling out because they felt a bias).

It's all a bit tricky, I'd wish politics and such would not play a part in ESC, but unfortunately it does.

CC92

^ I got your point but it has been statistically proven that every country can win (w/o being reliant on bloc votes) since pretty much forever (or at least the introduction of televoting). I think it is important for people to realise that first coz' then we actually would not need 'practical' proofs anymore. It does not help though that struggling broadcasters against their better knowledge are promoting the opposite to the public for the purpose that the blame won't be (entirely) put on them.

GRE

I think France should win.
That would bring back maybe Monaco,Andorra,Portugal and even Luxemburg & Morocco.

A-lister

Veteran
I think France should win.
That would bring back maybe Monaco,Andorra,Portugal and even Luxemburg & Morocco.

If I'd have to choose, I'd choose Central-Europe over a North-African comeback tbh. Not to rank countries or anything, but it's just odd to have this empty hole right in the middle of the European map every year with Eurovision, it just doesn't feel right that half of the European centre and 55 million people aren't represented in a contest supposed to be a European event.

anto475

If I'd have to choose, I'd choose Central-Europe over a North-African comeback tbh. Not to rank countries or anything, but it's just odd to have this empty hole right in the middle of the European map every year with Eurovision, it just doesn't feel right that half of the European centre and 55 million people aren't represented in a contest supposed to be a European event.

This, basically. It's mad how there's just this divide in Europe, between the winning states and those who haven't won before, aside from the enclave of victory that is Serbia. Something like Hungary would be ideal, or possibly Romania.
I suppose looking at it from another point of view, and I say this through gritted teeth, but I'd love to see the UK win, for the benefit of the ESC. I say this because it would shut up those blasted tabloids that come out every year with the same crap about block voting, and it would boost the popularity of the event in both the UK and Ireland, two places where it is falling fast. This is because an Irish victory might do the same in Ireland, but would not in the UK. Also we get a lot of British media over here, and a lot of our youth are impressioned by the British media, almost moreso than our own since the dawn of satellite TV.
I don't think a French victory would bring back Andorra or Monaco, they both seem broke/adamant about staying out, and it's clear that, at least in the case of Monaco or Luxembourg, the contest has changed beyond what they were used to. A UK victory would do wonders for the contest.

Impressive

Banned
France, definitely ;)
France would be a result like Norway's hosting.
I read some articles said that Italy, France or UK's hosting wouldn't be perfect statu. Because those countries don't care about Eurovision very well.

anto475

France would be a result like Norway's hosting.
I read some articles said that Italy, France or UK's hosting wouldn't be perfect statu. Because those countries don't care about Eurovision very well.

I was thinking about it actually and I'd love to see France win, or even Belgium in an RTBF year. Just to see the contest be broadcast mainly en Francais!

Top Bottom