24 10.2%

17 7.2%

40 17.0%

• Total voters

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Re: UNITED KINGDOM 2018

This feels so strange. Non-fans just wouldn't understand how the British entry could be factory-farmed in a foreign country.

I don't think the public would generally approve of it either tbh, especially not to this extent. They are fully aware we have enough good music of our own, true they don't understand who would do it and who wouldn't, but they're not daft and a song written by Danes wouldn't go down well. It seems to me they've already found a song they like from this camp, so anything submitted will probably come up second best. xthink

Mickey

I don't think the public would generally approve of it either tbh, especially not to this extent. They are fully aware we have enough good music of our own, true they don't understand who would do it and who wouldn't, but they're not daft and a song written by Danes wouldn't go down well. It seems to me they've already found a song they like from this camp, so anything submitted will probably come up second best. xthink

If one of the tabloids got wind of it, they'd go crazy with the story.

I also think it's not the best way to pick an entry. It's a pretty lazy assumption that the only people who know how to write a Eurovision song are the Scandinavians. Why would we want to sound like everyone else?

It's also not a very BBC thing to do to (sorry I've been watching a lot of W1A). A camp like this could just as easily be staged in the UK. It might not get the same calibre of experienced songwriters, but promoting young British talent is key to the company's values (W1A again) and there's a greater chance someone will come up with something that genuinely stands out than if you stick with safe writers that have already submitted their best stuff to Melfest and DMGP.

AlekS

Veteran

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/music/electropop-duo-hurts-want-win-eurovision/
They’re such committed Europhiles that they offered their services to the UK’s Eurovision selection committee. Hurts wrote a song but then withdrew it after being underwhelmed at the suggestion that the composition be performed by “an old legend or a reality TV star”. “We said, ‘No way, we’ve got this plan for how we’d win it’,” recounts Hutchraft, “so it all fell apart.” Still, post-Brexit hope springs eternal: they refuse to tell me the name of the song, just in case they can revive their scheme for the UK’s first Eurovision victory since Katrina and the Waves’ in 1997.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Read that last night. They should seriously axe the NF and channel the money into them and their plan. Hurts would be so Great, they are famous abroad but not much here. It's a win win for them. They are also complete professionals with a great line up of music. In the fact they keep a hold of the song and still show interest in taking part is even better, I don't know why the BBC don't jump at the chance. It really shows how clueless they are that they wanted an 'old legend' or some trashy 'reality star' to sing their song. Just bye.

Romeo

My Eurovision: You Decide wishlist

And I'll let the BBC select the final song

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Another submitted entry, J'adore mon chien =I love my dog. This has a super epic dance beat part right in the middle, the rest is kinda eh though and i find it kinda strange.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Another submitted song. They submitted 'Tear up the Dark' last year, which was year.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Is there Mans fan ? Because he will co-host Eurovision : You Decide

I'm sorry what? Why? No one here knows who he is.

DanielLuis

At least someone can attract viewers to this NF, great news

Oh yes, I'm sure the British public will watch this because Mans is there.

It's really really sad how BBC just can't grasp Eurovision on their own. They have such a great music industry, so much potential to do well, but it seems they are relying more and more on Swedish involvment on every step of the way. Aren't they ashamed they can't do things by themselves? Seriously, it's the BBC for god's sake!

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Oh yes, I'm sure the British public will watch this because Mans is there.

It's really really sad how BBC just can't grasp Eurovision on their own. They have such a great music industry, so much potential to do well, but it seems they are relying more and more on Swedish involvment on every step of the way. Aren't they ashamed they can't do things by themselves? Seriously, it's the BBC for god's sake!

It is baffling to all of us. You can argue no one established would touch the contest, but we have so much more music than established artists. The BBC themselves have a platform for new artists, they used it 2014 I don't why they didn't continue with that method. Eurovision could be a serious platform to promote new artists and new music here, it's just the BBC eurovision team are stuck in another bubble. I genuinely do think they are trying hard, they're just choosing to out source from from foreign songwriters and taking a whole other approach that ignores what we have.

From what I have read it seems Mans will be a great addition, he is also in the team that are going to shortlist the songs for the NF and hopefully he will manage to stir the BBC in the right direction. He's said in an interview he has heard some (or all?) of the songs and has said the NF will have a great line up and there is a possible winner. Whether he is just saying that to hype up the NF or not remains to be seen. You can read the whole interview here: https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/a/P6kK0/mans-varvas-av-bbc

edit: one NF MUST from me: DO NOT invite Cece Sammy or Bruno Tonioli back onto the panel. :'D Both were far too dramatic and annoying, Bruno especially. He ruined the evening for me. I'd also like the panel to give real opinions not just praise everything. Danyl Johnson was a total trainwreck last year live and they all said how great it was.

DanielLuis

It is baffling to all of us. You can argue no one established would touch the contest, but we have so much more music than established artists. The BBC themselves have a platform for new artists, they used it 2014 I don't why they didn't continue with that method. Eurovision could be a serious platform to promote new artists and new music here, it's just the BBC eurovision team are stuck in another bubble. I genuinely do think they are trying hard, they're just choosing to out source from from foreign songwriters and taking a whole other approach that ignores what we have.

The thing about it is a few established artists have expressed interest in participating, like Paloma Faith and The Hurts. Obviously they wouldn't want to take part in an NF, but even when the BBC did internal selections they ignored this kind of interest, like when they chose Humperdink over The Hurts (and there was rumours Katie Melua got rejected too, don't remember what year though).
I hope this NF goes well for the UK, but if it doesn't they should seriously consider switching to an internal selection method that would approach these established artists that are interested, kinda like the Netherlands I guess. The problem is the BBC really ruined the image of the contest over the years with the low level of entries they sent and the commentary that used to completely make a joke out of the contest, and now it's hard to get out of that place.

GWTW1939

The thing about it is a few established artists have expressed interest in participating, like Paloma Faith and The Hurts. Obviously they wouldn't want to take part in an NF, but even when the BBC did internal selections they ignored this kind of interest, like when they chose Humperdink over The Hurts (and there was rumours Katie Melua got rejected too, don't remember what year though).
I hope this NF goes well for the UK, but if it doesn't they should seriously consider switching to an internal selection method that would approach these established artists that are interested, kinda like the Netherlands I guess. The problem is the BBC really ruined the image of the contest over the years with the low level of entries they sent and the commentary that used to completely make a joke out of the contest, and now it's hard to get out of that place.

the rumored song offered to the BBC

and for a refresher this is what the UK ended up with after trying to repeat the ALW success with Pete Waterman

tough choice
giphy.gif

Top Bottom