Contact us

R.I.P. Thread

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
This post is for artists, composer, conductor etc related to ESC who passed away. Any announcements, updates or memorial tributes should be posted here.

Last edited:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Re: R.I.P.

The Swedish entrant to the 1965 Eurovision Song Contest in Naples, Ingvar Wixell, has died. He celebrated his 80th birthday last May in Malmö. Wixell was mostly known for his operatic career and probably most for this time in the Deutche Oper in West Berlin in the 1960s. His death was first reported by the Dagens Nyheter daily in Sweden.
Ingvar Wixell's participation at the Eurovision Song Contest brought along a few firsts. Firstly, this was the only time a single artist has performed all the songs in the Swedish national final. Of the six songs as the winner was eventually crowned Annorstäders vals. At the Eurovision Song Contest final the baritone sang however the entry in English, with the title Absent friend. This in its turn led the EBU to rule that all countries must sing in a national language at the Eurovision Song Contest, and this rule was in force until the year 1973, and again from 1977 to 1999.

Ingvar Wixell is described as one of the greatest Swedish opera legends of the last century. His performance at the Eurovision Song Contest brought Sweden a 10th place and it would take until 2009 until Sweden again selected to send one of their opera stars to Eurovision.

Centrix

Malina Olinescu, :ro: 1998, has died last night and it seems to be a suicide. :(

Stella

I often listened her 1998 entry to Eurovision...And I love that song...
She also tried in 2003...
Sometimes I hate my country's music industry...:(

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Re: R.I.P. Thread - Anders Fransen (Denmark 1991)

Anders Frandsen, the singer who represented Denmark at the Eurovision Song Contest 1991, has died shortly after his 51st birthday. I don't know the cause of death :(

94ayd

Re: R.I.P. Thread - Anders Fransen (Denmark 1991)

Again, too early! :( Wasn't one of my faves that year, though.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Re: R.I.P. Thread - Noel Kelehan (Irish Conductor)

The death has been announced of conductor Noel Kelehan, who was not only the most prolific conductor in the history of the Eurovision Song Contest, but also the most successful, by taking the baton and conducting no less than five of the winning songs from Ireland. In addition to conducting for Irish entries, he took charge of the orchestra for several other countries whilst in his role as Music Director of five contests staged in Ireland.

LINK

alca

Re: R.I.P. Thread - Otus (Finland 2006)

:eek: RIP!
He was young... Do we know how he died?

Jukica

(Retired) Admin

RIP Otus :(

Milos-BC

Just saw this.

RIP :(

I think Otus wasn't a part of the crew when they won ESC, as he came after the previous drummer (Kita) left, but still that doesn't make the sadness lower :(

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member

R.I.P. Helga Vlahović. :( (Host of ESC 1989. in Zagreb)

Top Bottom