5 2.9%

17 9.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

CC92

I wonder if is his 'French' pronunciation of 'r' [ʀ] is common in Dutch-language pop music/arts or perceived as dialectal?!

CC92

The [r] and [ʀ] are both common in the Netherlands and are seen as standard. Other pronunciations like [ʁ] are seen as dialectal.
In German [r] has been strongly recessive for at least fifty years (it had been in gradual decline before) but :de: parts of Frisia, where also Low Saxon is still widespread, rank among the regions where people typically have retained that alveolar trill. Which is why I was surprised also because [ʀ] sounds so much more distinctive than [ʁ] (most prevalent realisation of /r/ in Germany nowadays). I find it really cool in songs though.:)

Miloutchi

In German [r] has been strongly recessive for at least fifty years (it had been in gradual decline before) but :de: parts of Frisia, where also Low Saxon is still widespread, rank among the regions where people typically have retained that alveolar trill. Which is why I was surprised also because [ʀ] sounds so much more distinctive than [ʁ] (most prevalent realisation of /r/ in Germany nowadays). I find it really cool in songs though.:)
I know, I can only pronounce the [ʁ] and that’s why I often get the question if I’m German (I’m Dutch). :ROFLMAO:

CC92

I know, I can only pronounce the [ʁ] and that’s why I often get the question if I’m German (I’m Dutch). :ROFLMAO:
For me [ʀ] is no problem on its own or within a single word. However, if I had to use it all the time I would think I scratch my uvula bloody. (Apparently it is also considered acceptable in German but I do not recall ever hearing somebody speak like that.) Can you master a 'proper' Dutch /g/? As that sounds even deeper down the throat and more difficult.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
dutch g is not that difficult (though it's very soft in my accent), just do an ch like you would in german but make the sound more glottal, from further down your throat.

then overdo the phlegmatics. like the people to the north of belgium do with their speech impediments.

Franzilein

Can you master a 'proper' Dutch /g/? As that sounds even deeper down the throat and more difficult.

Aye, as Boris said, do the "g" as in "ich" instead of "ach". It's much more comfortable for your throat, had the same problems when I started learning Dutch, but that's what my Dutch teacher told me to do. It's the variant they speak around Limburg (and apparently in Flemish as well?) I think.

toinou03

It's not bad, but it's not incredible either. The chorus is a bit boring and there is crazier. We'll see, but I'm not convinced...

Miloutchi

For me [ʀ] is no problem on its own or within a single word. However, if I had to use it all the time I would think I scratch my uvula bloody. (Apparently it is also considered acceptable in German but I do not recall ever hearing somebody speak like that.) Can you master a 'proper' Dutch /g/? As that sounds even deeper down the throat and more difficult.
No, I can’t really pronounce that either without feeling like my throat is on fire.
Aye, as Boris said, do the "g" as in "ich" instead of "ach". It's much more comfortable for your throat, had the same problems when I started learning Dutch, but that's what my Dutch teacher told me to do. It's the variant they speak around Limburg (and apparently in Flemish as well?) I think.
My g is like this one, but very soft. It’s the same g as in Flanders, but they pronounce it quite strongly here. It causes misunderstandings sometimes, especially in oog - oor.

Reinventor

Joost will be performing in 013 Poppodium Tilburg on the 14th and 15th. There's a no phone policy, so I guess there will be the first live performance of Europapa. Professional footage will be made available though.

013 Program Joost Klein

Ezio

Veteran
This is the most enjoyable song at the moment for me, BUT I see a car crash scenario on the live stage. I can't imagine this song sounding so well live. But I am ready to be convinced.

Reinventor

Apparently a live video was shot at his performance last night in Tilburg. No clue if and when this will be released. Reviews of the show were very positive though.

EscGeek

Veteran
My 2024 winner is officially :nl: The Netherlands xyaaay

IXpU6ZCB-Ab5L2dADC2bXlsOWYWCOwfkVDsgIBAgpcx5yLXXeWvf-yQWbOWpXoVHvDRXDEt3czyRcWk2Omjn8gD-qqJcQZKoBXi4l_BU3IA

I had a good feeling about it since he was announced. And when Ollie lost in Estonia i knew that my personal winner will come from an internal selection. But there was still a risk.. I didn't want Joost to go too avant-garde in his entry. Luckily Europapa is approachable, fun, modern and at the same time nostalgic. His goofball energy is also shining like it was supposed to.

This is victory number 3 for The Netherlands, but first one (without dings and dongs) that matters in the modern world because i obviosuly didn't exist in 1967 and 1975 :mrgreen:

Ali_

I get why people like this entry, I do too. But do people realistically think it could win, personal feelings aside? I just don't see it.

Top Bottom