18 11.1%

19 11.7%

17 10.5%

31 19.1%

• Total voters

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: MALTA 2017

Kind of a pattern with NFs this year (:al: excepted xheart xheat xheat) - there's less "spectacular," but I'm finding myself relying on "obnoxious" a lot more than "scourge of the musical earth" so far.
First, the good, because there is some of it.
I think "Kewkba" is my favorite. Nice little comfortable song, and having Maltese in the selection is a cool novelty. There's something in her voice that I'm having trouble with, but I could force myself over it. "Don't Look Down" has some genuine sass behind it. The lyrics are a little "enh" on paper, but she delivers them well. "Good" isn't the word I'd pick for "Seconds Away," but rather "irresistible." I found myself saying I didn't like it while dancing to myself a little. Soon enough I'll stop worrying and learn to love it, as the old saying goes. Finally, notwithstanding how snobbish I get with country music, I was really charmed by "So Simple." Going to get eaten alive in this NF, but it's very sweet.
Now the shed section xheat
Would disagree with doppja tiegħi Kai about "You." Firelight's Esk entry ultimately wore me down into thinking it was sweet and warm and lovely, but I found myself quite annoyed by him here. I had shouted "shut up!" at my screen three times about 20 seconds into "Bombshell;" she comes across like Honey Boo Boo telling me how "a dollar make [sic.] [her] holler." Kevin Borg isn't a Franklin Calleja-level nuisance, but he's close. The only person who's a true Franklin Calleja level nuisance is Franklin Calleja, but his song is...actually not horrific? That could escape the shed section if he doesn't do any of his over-earnest performance antics live. Jessika's entry is also a real disappointment; it was just three minutes of silence........wait I've just been informed that she's not actually been selected for this NF. :mt: itself can take a place in the shed section for that.

DaFlo

Banned

I think Seconds Away is my fav here xheat
Other favs: Fighting to Survive, Unstoppable, Bombshell

One of these four pls xpray

mmhgbboom

We never get good songs from Maltese National Finals so there's no point in listening to any of these. :)

Romeo

OK I am listening to them all in FULL and listening properly now and writing as listening.. so imagine me saying this.. because its typing as I listen

Alphabetical order:

Brooke - Unstoppable
Reminds me a lot of "Walk On Water" at times. GREAT SONG! I think this could do very well in ESC. I think Brooke could have burped on stage and won MESC 2017 so I think she has it in the bag.. I said the same about Amber in 2015.

Cherton Caruana "Fighting to Survive"
hmmm.. nice song.. sounds like the sort of song that used to get sent to SRF fro Switzerland's online selection. Its ok.. but would FLOP at ESC

Claudia Faniello "Breathlessly"
starts off and makes me think of "Pure" (a masterpiece)... doesn't have the same effect into the song. BEAUTIFUL SONG! but lacks a lot. I think if Claudia wins the song would need to be changed. It's not strong enough to do well in ESC. Really lovely song though. could be a song that needs to be seen live I think.. so changing the song may not be needed.

Crosswalk "So Simple"
3 seconds in and I already hate it! OOOH WAIT RIGHT THERE.... I'm a country boy at heart so this is now right up my street! or is it? I'm so confused. I love it but I'm also not sure at the same time. This chorus xheart I think I love it. with a 'firelight' tweak I think this could be my favourite! makes me think if it was more "Annie get your gun" (from SRF 2015 i think it was) it would be amazing

Deborah & Josef "Tonight"
Thought I was listening to "It's OK" all over again but now I love it on it's own merit. I'm thinking Lithuania 2015 but sweeter and more innocent. oooh and a bit of "hello goodbye" (MF). now a bit of "sing little birdie" OMG so many great songs mixed together make this great song,, AND A KEY CHANGE!!!! I love Malta!!

Franklin "Follow Me"
Why does Franklin send the same song every year? They are all beautiful and his voice is great.. I cant find anything to say really.. this is just a NF song.. flop in ESC written all over it. lovely song but nothing I haven't heard 3667 times before

Jade Vella "Seconds Away"
Ricki-Lee style fresh!!! then it gets very MESC in the chorus.. oooh this girl went from diva to samey.. then diva again! The chorus needs improvement. This could be SICK! and almost is.. few tweaks and it could be great. The chorus isnt as bad now.. I am so confused. this song stresses me out. I love it but it needs some changes

Janice Mangion "Kewkba"
"While her eyes still glow" is one of my favourite songs ever! This could f**king challenge that! This is AMAZING!! I love Janice! she is a lovely person! amazing voice! always sings great songs! I have told her I want her in MESC again for years and now she comes in with this masterpiece! I think this could do VERY VERY VERY WELL!!! and it's in Maltese! which makes it even more amazing! WOW!!!!!!!!

Kevin Borg "Follow"
Will people in Sweden still remember him? Starts off not as good as "needing You" but sounds good! kinda starts good then dies out.. The new stereotype ESC song drums begin! its a good song. it needs some UMPH! maybe its like Claudia and needs to be live. I love Kevin but need something amazing from him and this is just really good. Hope the live version is amazing!

Klinsmann "laserlight"
its Belgium 2007 but slow... oooh but then it changes.. then it goes weird. He is trying to be The Veronicas in 2008?? I dont know what to say - I dont know what to think. I like it but would never think "ooh I need to listen to laserlight".. I miss his older stuff. I was thinking about his song "her name was Anne" yesterday morning actuallly 'random thought'. ESC FLOP

Maxine Pace "Bombshell"
WOOOOOAAAAAHHH!! DAMNNN!!! go girl! I am not a dancer... but this got me twerking with my hands. wasn't a fan of her last year.. thought she was trying to be Destiny Chukunyere.. this year she is smashin it! LOVING IT! if she wins.. the Swedes will be revamping this to perfection! ths will be perfect in ESC with a good old swevamp!!! BOOM BOOM BOOM !!

Martina Conte "Don't Look Down"
OK Destiny Chukunyere's first note from "not my soul" was stolen! Now we have a TUNE! Very Rihanna! Very fresh! for 2009. reminds me of one of teh songs from DMGP / MGP in the last 2 years, cant think what though. not very 2017 (assuming i can predict 2017 music). Love this though this WILL be on my playlist for a long time

Raquela "Ray of Light"
I keep thinking I can predict the lyrics but this cheeky girl changes them lol. I love this! very nice! OMG this is making me think that this is what Croatia 2016 could have been! this will never win but it really should be in ESC! I love it! simplicity and beauty and a country twang WOW!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS! at teh beginning I was a biT like 'meh' but now... TUNE!!!!!!

Rhiannon Micallef "Fearless"
Rhiannon Rhiannon, who is this Rihannon? (Little Britain quote). sounds like an xfactor audition. whats that weird talking part in the middle? oh no. i don't like this at all. could be an ok song but no, just no. I think the backing vocalists make a better impression on me

Richard Edwards "You"
Reminding me of his old skool entries! OOOOH WAIT! wow! this is going somewhere! OMG this is AMAZING! the hairs are LITERALLY standing up! this needs to win! It would be a "rock'n'roll kids" and "Fly on the wings of love" all over again! AMAZING SONG.. simple, emotional, amazing! I am not just saying this because I know him, I am saying thsi because its amazing! his best entry in MESC ever! That boy is getting a text from me in a minute!

Shauna Vassallo "Crazy Games"
starts ok... nothing speacial. but then BOOM kicks in! fells like its 6am in some after hours club! or something Imaani would release now but 100000 times better! this is sick! probably the most modern of all the songs in MESC this year. TUUUUUUNE!

this is the best Maltese NF EVER!!!! I am so proud of my homeland!

top 5:

1. Richard - "You" - literally sent shivers down my spine! AMAZING SONG
2. Janice "Kewkba" - BEAUTIFUL AMAZING SONG! she impressed me!
massive gap
3. Brooke "Unstoppable" WOW This girl will slay!!!
4. Raquela "Ray of Light" amazing song! sop beautiful! so different!
5. Crosswalk "So Simple" love a bit of country!!!! such a tune

(opinions may change over time or when I am not home after an early sesh with the boys!)

Romeo

There are probably only about 3 songs I would not be happy seeing in ESC

Romeo

Literally the best song I have ever heard

Mrm

Veteran

Richard Edwards - "You" reminds me of Ireland..maybe even of Ireland in ESC in 90s, it has a story with a sense, it's melancholic, simple, yet so unique, strong and deep, it's valuable... xlove xheart have to add quality of composition..

"Unstoppable" has grown me so much as well, it's really well made..

Janice Mangion - "Kewkba" is in interesting Maltese language, it gives this amazing composition some special charm, it reminds me of songs "from he sea", these "melancholic lighthouse songs".. I hope she will hit all these high notes while performing live this GEM of th entry.. xlove xheart

Mrm

Veteran

Maxine Pace - "Bombshell" sounds soooooo American :eek: , I haven't heard smth more American in ESC since Annet Artani in 2006 with AWESOME "Why do the angels cry".. xlove xheart

Maybe Basim - "Cliche Love Song" from 2014, but "Bombshell" is more American to me.. :D

Romeo

Janice in 2012.. One of the best songs I have ever heard. on a par with Chiara "The one that I love"

Mrm

Veteran

[MENTION=12986]Romeo[/MENTION]

Yes, it seems she will be able to pull of this awesome entry live.. :) xlove xheart

Do you think Maltese can vote for song in Maltese language, both jury and public?

Romeo

[MENTION=12986]Romeo[/MENTION]

Yes, it seems she will be able to pull of this awesome entry live.. :) xlove xheart

Do you think Maltese can vote for song in Maltese language, both jury and public?

Its 100% televote in 2017.. so it will either win or end (almost) last.. the public will go either way.. there will be no middle ground

I hope its Janice or Richard... I would be happy with about 13 of them winning to be honest

Romeo

card-year-51.png

Merry Christmas & il-Milied it-Tajjeb

have a great Christmas! Enjoy your day! Spend it with the ones you love! and please remember the true meaning of today!

Romeo

I'm thinking more and more than Janice could win MESC

The song is so beautiful and her voice is amazing! Plus it's in Maltese and there hasn't been a song in Maltese for a long time and i think this could give Janice the edge in February

I could be completely wrong, but that's my feeling at the minute.

I've been speaking to Janice again recently, she is so humbled by all the great comments and response to her song

Romeo

First song I played in 2017 is Janice Mangion "Kewkba" and made everyone else listen too!

Such an amazing song!

I've predicted the last 4 MESC winners so I am hoping 2017 will not be any different #TimKewkba

Romeo

random question and not regarding 2017..

does anyone have the full version of Saska Hunt "Dress Rehearsal"? I had it but it was on an old computer

it was the song that withdrew from MESC 2013

kamc

Can Malta just send Sarah Crystal by internal selection this year plz?!:)

Romeo

I was 100% convinced that "Bombshell" was really weirdly pro-terrorism until I have just seen the lyrics

I was certain the lyrics were:

"I'm a shockwave, about to detonate, gonna blow up the plane"
"I'm an exploder"
"fireworks ten storeys high"
"but the shotgun it don't work for me"

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Top Bottom