Contact us

Kate Ryan of 2011

alca

Hahahaahahaha I saw a couple of you said Greece! HOPE SO! But seriously are we supposed to finish in the top 10? Last time I checked we were around 40th in the bets (and NO! I don't consider them giving us the actual results).

And I don't think Bulgaria will flop. I think Bulgaria will do really well! :)

CPV4931

As many of you believe: Hungary maybe will have problems to pass the Semis. I don´t think, that Estonia won´t come into the final.

Mickey

1996 was a good example where Gina G became almost a world-wide summer smash, yet ending up only in #8 while Ireland won with whatever (no offense Ireland) because the juries saw it as "quality".

I know it's beside the point, but I thought 1996 was the best of Ireland's 90s winners. Gina G should definitely have been placed much higher than 8th, but Eimear Quinn was at least strong competition for the win.

I agree about France. A lot of people on this forum are saying "I don't like opera, but..." I think a lot of regular viewers come the final will be saying "I don't like opera".

AlekS

Veteran
I think that Kate Ryan receives undeserved amount of publicity in this context.
She weren't a fave then (at least here) and her flop was really predictable for me :cool:

So if you mean someone who's really popular among people and someone who will flop royally.... hmmm.... I say Poland and Bulgaria.
Maybe Slovakia. I have doubts about those entries, still only May 10/May 12 ESC performance counts.

@Reggie. Remember Alyosha and her 1st live performance of Sweet People? She couldn't recover completely after "torn" vocal folds before the NF. + She had to record the new songs in the studio in order to choose just one (Sweet People) and send it to the EBU, huge stress - she screwed up her health. She recorded the live video of Sweet People and she sounded horrible. Alyosha didn't perform anywhere during the whole month after that because she had to recover normally. She could deal with the song completely only few weeks before ESC.

Health problems, even an ordinary flu, really influence vocals. Taking a long break from singing also is not useful and it takes weeks or even months in order to gain shape again. With the right vocal coach and understanding it's not a problem to recover/improve your vocals faster.
On the other hand - anyone can screw up on the semifinal's night. Ani Lorak ate ice-cream before rehearsals + heavy air conditioning. As a result... high temperature, antibiotic injections and screwed up vocals. Thanks to doctors we didn't refuse from participation 2 days before the semi in 2008 (and EBU people were ready for that option).
People with good vocals can sing very bad when they are ill and I've seen that many times )))

aletem

I'm pretty sure it is Slovenia! :D The same people that liked Croatia last year (except few), like Slovenia this year. And I would be happy if this depressing song ends 14th in the semi. The other one I think it will follow them is Estonia. There is no way that both of them will go through! :mrgreen:

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
Hungary, Poland or Norway :/ I actually give biggest chances to Norway

Isabella

I agree about Slovenia with aletem. But I like the song, so hope I'm wrong :(

r3gg13

@Aleks: yeah, I agree, good singers cannot avoid health issues and mother nature. I just hope that she, and other singers/groups will be in good health during the show because tele-viewers usually won't care if they're sick or not. Typically, people wouldn't even think/care that they're sick, they will just remember the bad performance.

I hope Hungary doesn't flop, it's one of the better songs in the contest I think

A-lister

Veteran
I think that Kate Ryan receives undeserved amount of publicity in this context.
She weren't a fave then (at least here) and her flop was really predictable for me :cool:

I think you're wrong, Kate Ryan was pretty much a favorite and the only actual somewhat known name aswell. I dunno about Ukraine though, but in Sweden she was talked about (and usually ESC contestants aren't) and this was even prior to her having her biggest hits in Sweden.

I remember her being an overall pre-favorite so I think she's a good example of a falling favorite.

MrJadeEwen

Hungary, this has the "Kate Ryan" feel to it. With her bad vocals and a dated song i really don't see this qualifying :\
I would say Sweden but I can also see that doing a "Hero" and coming a low place in the final.

alca

Ani Lorak ate ice-cream before rehearsals + heavy air conditioning. As a result... high temperature, antibiotic injections and screwed up vocals. Thanks to doctors we didn't refuse from participation 2 days before the semi in 2008 (and EBU people were ready for that option).
:lol: I don't really think that ice-cream played a big role on that... Heavy air conditioning, yes but ice-cream? Naah

I think you're wrong, Kate Ryan was pretty much a favorite and the only actual somewhat known name aswell. I dunno about Ukraine though, but in Sweden she was talked about (and usually ESC contestants aren't) and this was even prior to her having her biggest hits in Sweden.

I remember her being an overall pre-favorite so I think she's a good example of a falling favorite.

Exactly! Same in Greece! She was a favourite to win! I will never forget a guy in a morning tv show who said that either Carola or Kate Ryan won't make it to the final. I was glad it was Kate! :lol: xshifty

A-lister

Veteran
Exactly! Same in Greece! She was a favourite to win! I will never forget a guy in a morning tv show who said that either Carola or Kate Ryan won't make it to the final. I was glad it was Kate! :lol: xshifty

Oh I wasn't! Kate deserved final, I hated our song that year (although I think Sweden also deserved final).

Anyways that guy was obviously right. I remember there was one big anti-Carola/Sweden boost from Greece that year though, kinda annoying.

alca

Oh I wasn't! Kate deserved final, I hated our song that year (although I think Sweden also deserved final).

Anyways that guy was obviously right. I remember there was one big anti-Carola/Sweden boost from Greece that year though, kinda annoying.
Well I'm not saying I didn't like Kate's song but if it had to be only one of them in the final I'd definitely pick Carola! Well I guess you hated because you don't like schlager! :p You know about me. :lol:
As for the anti-Carola thing, I think you're right! I voted for Carola and we gave 0 pts! I was so mad. And I never understood why that happened... Carola certainly deserved some points but anyway. We'll get off topic :p

Oh :eek:!
xwedgie

Just kidding ;)

:lol: :lol: I wouldn't be offended even if you hadn't written "just kidding" :) ;)
I think this one is better though
Popos.gif
:lol:

Last edited:

94ayd

:no: It's like :sk: 2010 all over again. At first it didn't convince me but now it's started rising, though I know her singing sucks this time around, so yeah, almost sure about it. I'm a bit worried about :hu:, too. No worries about :pl:, :ee: & :sl: - I think they'll all perform great! :D :bg:'s not really a favourite, so I don't see any point in what some people are saying... :lol: On the contrary, Bulgaria will surprise positively and it'll be something like... :ua: 2010, maybe. ;) :se: will also fail maybe like they did last year or something like :ie: 2010. :lol:

Top Bottom