3 1.9%

12 7.5%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

nudiecrudi

By the way, I don't understand the Geolier situation. Is he really popular among Italians or Neapolitans (as I observed from this thread)?
Yes he is famous in that area, Napoli and Campania region. But it's difficult to explain it. In few words the population in that area tries to "mythifies" famous personalities (music theater film soccer) and once you become "a myth" you ll be forever and people will adore you.
Geolier is entering in that prestigious club.

gigi_copp3

By the way, I don't understand the Geolier situation. Is he really popular among Italians or Neapolitans (as I observed from this thread)?
He is. He is the top seller of last year with his album "Il coraggio dei bambini", his songs are always 1st on Spotify and in the FIMI standings. So a lot of people in Italy listen to him and love him.
The Naples situation is really complex: Neapolitans are really, really, campanilistic, they absolutely love their city and they wanted their "boy" to win so much

mup

I don't understand what others see in this. Angelina is just aggressively screaming morire - sufrire - boredom - total. This inspires you? Maybe I am wrong, but this screams the least favorite Romance language entry for me this year.
I wanted to give (my) explanation earlier but then I forgot, so well, here it is: Angelina describes life as a mixture of emotional states, ups and downs and noia (boredom) is a part of it, the prelude to something positive, so she doesn't fear it, she embraces it by dancing because there are better things to come. The song mixes upbeat (hybrid) Latin American flavoured parts with others where she seems to wail to give the idea of joyful and sorrowful states we go through.

As for those words you mentioned I can give you a translation of those particular verses, where the song pulls together elements of joy (laughing, party) and sorrow (the cross, the crown of thorns) to create an evocative image of the emotional mixture of life. She dances the cumbia of boredom because, as life is a mixture of feelings, so cumbia dance is a mix of different ethnic elements (rhythm from Africa, melody from Latin America, dresses from Europe). The song itself though is not a proper cumbia, it just evokes it as a metaphor of life.

Muoio senza morire
In questi giorni usati
Vivo senza soffrire
Non c’è croce più grande
Non ci resta che ridere in queste notti bruciate
Una corona di spine sarà il dress-code per la mia festa
I die without (really) dying
In these used-up days
I live without suffering
There's no heavier cross
There's nothing left to us but laughing in these burnt-out nights
A crown of thorns will be the dress-code for my party
I hope you find this helpful. :giggle:

Last edited:

sucof

Last news' :
- TV ratings on Saturday night at 2 Am during the winner's announcement: 90% share!!!!
-Seven out of ten songs on Spotify's Debut Global chart come from Sanremo 2024
-advertising revenue of 60 million euros, another record!

Last edited:

mup

Last news' :
- TV ratings on Saturday night at 2 Am during the winner's announcement: 90% share!!!!
-Seven out of ten songs on Spotify's Debut Global chart come from Sanremo 2024
This year has been a success through and through. Amadeus knows how to put up a cast, unfortunately with his departure we have to expect a (natural) downsizing. He made room for Geolier attracting many young viewers, good for the advertising sponsors. Then a mix of old and contemporary names. Certainly too many competing songs but he liked it that way...

nudiecrudi

Just heard a podcast made by three famous journalists Luca Dondoni, Paolo Giordano and Andrea Laffranchi where they're discussing about Sanremo 24.
Amongs many questions arised, the one emerged was that Dardast is interested to insert some Spanish words to the ESC version of La Noia, just to open more to the Spanish and latino american market.

Paco Roca

Just heard a podcast made by three famous journalists Luca Dondoni, Paolo Giordano and Andrea Laffranchi where they're discussing about Sanremo 24.
Amongs many questions arised, the one emerged was that Dardast is interested to insert some Spanish words to the ESC version of La Noia, just to open more to the Spanish and latino american market.
Dangerous. You risk ruining a perfect product. There are already English words inside and with the addition of Spanish we will have a fruit salad (+ an excuse for some not to vote for a song "too Mediterranean and far from their cultures"; you would give them an excuse to say they "don't understand" ). The South American aspect is visible in the sound, in the word "Cumbia" and in Angelina being a Latin queen.

However, the Benidorm delegation establishes an alliance between two Big 5. Not only with regards to extra points earned. The Benidorm Fest will study Sanremo to shake off the Eurovisual NF habit and will increase in quality, Italy will have the doors to the very rich South American market. What helps Italy, unlike other ESC performers, is the Latin, romantic and fiery nature that can reach hispano-hablantes listeners.

ayzelto

Spanish words? Don’t mess it up! Make a version for that market if you wish but leave the ESC version as it is.

mup

Annalisa is not pregnant. Several journalists thought she was pregnant because she did not go down the stairs of the Sanremo stage during the first evening (and the second too). A journalist asked her why, thinking she was pregnant. Annalisa explained that last year she had a bad fall down the stairs, she hit a wall and went to the emergency room. So no baby on the way, as well as a possibly pregnant person can very well go down the stairs.
Lisa Ajax teaches in Sweden!
The press is so annoying, everytime they have to make up some fake news for clickbaiting. Last year it was the backstage brawl with thrown glass between Madame and Anna Oxa.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Okay, just a question: is there something in the lyrics that turns the fact that it sounds like a composite of every song which has ever accompanied department store ads in the US into cutting satire? Because that is what it sounds like to me.

4 points just in case!

mup

Now that the streak of male winners has been broken there's another streak I noticed, let's see if we can get more diversity in upcoming years about this:

2013: Marco Mengoni, 2014: Emma Marrone, 2016: Francesca Michielin, 2018: Ermal Meta and Fabrizio Moro, 2019: Alessandro Mahmoud "Mahmood", 2021: Måneskin, 2022: Mahmood again, 2023: Mengoni again, 2024: Angelina Mango...

8tntqufubnf71.jpg
I forgot to include another M (although in the first name): 2012 Nina Zilli, whose real name is Maria Chiara Fraschetta.

Madame should try again, third time's a charm as they say. Or Annalisa (Scarrone) can add her husband's last name: Muglia.

TiagoFS

I don't think Italy has chosen the right song. There were other better songs in San Remo this year, and this is not what the public voted unfortunately.

Loindici

Veteran
Okay, just a question: is there something in the lyrics that turns the fact that it sounds like a composite of every song which has ever accompanied department store ads in the US into cutting satire? Because that is what it sounds like to me.

4 points just in case!

... no? I know you are best at spitting sarcasm or satire, but come on, not this.

Paco Roca

I don't think Italy has chosen the right song. There were other better songs in San Remo this year, and this is not what the public voted unfortunately.
Geolier was not what Italy wanted, it was what a region that had united as a bloc wanted. It's hard to say what the public wanted. There were too many champions in the festival. The best? A definitive answer? Spotify speaks. It's Mahmood.

gigi_copp3

Geolier was not what Italy wanted, it was what a region that had united as a bloc wanted. It's hard to say what the public wanted. There were too many champions in the festival. The best? A definitive answer? Spotify speaks. It's Mahmood.
In fact a lot of people from the whole Italy wanted Geolier to win... even if Naples voted in a normal way he would have still won the televoting.
The public wanted him, but Angelina is a more deserving winner because she had a better song, better voice, better performance, better stage presence. Italian juries were absolutely right in their choice.
It's not always about the public: they prefered Ultimo to Mahmood in 2019, just saying...

Paco Roca

In fact a lot of people from the whole Italy wanted Geolier to win... even if Naples voted in a normal way he would have still won the televoting.
The public wanted him, but Angelina is a more deserving winner because she had a better song, better voice, better performance, better stage presence. Italian juries were absolutely right in their choice.
It's not always about the public: they prefered Ultimo to Mahmood in 2019, just saying...
Let's say that Geolier's public victory is determined by the work of rejuvenating Sanremo implemented by Amadeus. Many young people who follow and love Geolier voted. The young people voted for their favorite and not the song. For me, Geolier is a talented and valid artist but the Sanremo song was average. This edition, however, was complex: out of 30 songs, 26 were very competitive. Ghali, Mahmood, Il Volo, Irama could have gone to the ESC and were sure of doing well and I'll also include Annalisa (more for the hype that Queen Nali is finally at the ESC than for artistic merit). Geolier and others would have done well on average but would have orbited the "Michielin zone" (although I don't see a close competition this year - apart from Norway, Italy, France, Spain and Finland I see the void behind - Ukraine is overrated).

elanyvx

I feel very sorry for Annalisa who has done so much for Italian music in this year and a half but in general in 13 years of career. This could have been her year to win and represent Italy at Eurovision. There will probably never be a place for her if someone beats her every time (thanks to a one-way televoting for example). In 2025 she will turn 40 (even though she looks like a 25 year old), with two 3rd places it is her best result at the Festival. She may move to Switzerland so as to represent them internally in the coming years :cool:.

mup

I agree with you on Geolier, it feels like as if the televote and the final ranking were hacked by a local army.

As for Mahmood, I've now come to think that his songs are listened to by people who don't bother to vote him or don't watch Sanremo. In 2022, I now think that the televote came from Blanco's teenage fangirls more than from Mahmood's fanbase, since this year Mahmood's televote was low like in 2019 but, like then, his Sanremo entry has become successful just after the end of the festival. If he had won this year, I would have feared a poor vocal performance at ESC after a busy post-Sanremo schedule, like in 2022, so I'm relieved that a capable manager, who knows how ESC works, is in charge of Angelina.

At least this year there was more choice even in ESC perspective, like you mentioned. Looking back, Sanremo 2023 seems to me weaker, perhaps Amadeus realized it was time to look for more upbeat songs whilst he prefers slower entries, who knows.

mup

I feel very sorry for Annalisa who has done so much for Italian music in this year and a half but in general in 13 years of career. This could have been her year to win and represent Italy at Eurovision. There will probably never be a place for her if someone beats her every time (thanks to a one-way televoting for example). In 2025 she will turn 40 (even though she looks like a 25 year old), with two 3rd places it is her best result at the Festival. She may move to Switzerland so as to represent them internally in the coming years :cool:.
Yup, all seemed to point towards her consecration with a Sanremo trophy and an entry with an ESC vibe. She was devastated at the final announcement. I think the battle between her and Angelina was won by the latter because of her stage presence and perhaps more elaborate lyrics, while Annalisa's were simpler and, as we know, the juries always keep an eye on lyrics at the cost of sacrificing a catchier tune. Anyway Annalisa can still try, perhaps teaming up with a man to rack up a bigger televote score.

She's been always criticised for being cold, static, now doing more commercial stuff at almost 40, before for doing ballads... it seems it's never enough, yet she keeps being composed and professional. She has shown great vocal abilities in a moment where too many rely on autotune and such, forbidden in ESC.

Top Bottom