6 3.6%

6 3.6%

6 3.6%

53 31.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Please keep discussion in this thread specific to Eden Golan and her song, Israel's (potential) participation in Eurovision 2024 and discussions or remarks from other countries and organisations about Israel's participation.

Any further discussion of a political or humanitarian nature not relating to specifically Israel in Eurovision 2024 needs to go into the politics sub-forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Loindici

Veteran
Looks like it ended 4-1 to Iceland. Though I've got a feeling we'll wake up tomorrow to find out that a voting app error has resulted in Iceland losing 5-4 with 5 own goals attributed to Hera Björk.
I feel it coming!

Realest

Israel would have won with Homeadvantage.

Romeo

30.7% giving 0 points. If this song was representing ANY OTHER COUNTRY I'd like to see the votes because politics is the main factor in this percentage

Realest

Couldnt watch the Video, but apparently ESCUnited is ignoring Israel. Can anyone here confirm this?

Wynnter

Couldnt watch the Video, but apparently ESCUnited is ignoring Israel. Can anyone here confirm this?

Tried my best to share Matt's explanations:

Israel's participation is considered inappropriate by ESCUnited, but Israel being in the contest at this moment is an objective and undisputed fact. As long as that continues to be the case, ESCUnited will continue on reporting those objective facts, including the running order, qualification predictions, etc. In places where it's basically unavoidable. ESCUnited acknowledges Israel's participation.

ESCUnited will not be covering Israel from a commentary and review perspective, including reactions. The situation is made more complicated by the highly politized nature, which Israel themselves attempted to contribute to. Matt and the team members have also already received threats from people regarding press accreditation removal and their personal safety, including lives.

They'd like to state their positions rather than beat around the bush. It will be left at that.

If anyone wants to leave and unsubscribe, it is their right to do so, but they hope everyone respects their decision and enjoys the rest of the Eurovision season as intented.

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran
Tried my best to share Matt's explanations:

Israel's participation is considered inappropriate by ESCUnited, but Israel being in the contest at this moment is an objective and undisputed fact. As long as that continues to be the case, ESCUnited will continue on reporting those objective facts, including the running order, qualification predictions, etc. In places where it's basically unavoidable. ESCUnited acknowledges Israel's participation.

ESCUnited will not be covering Israel from a commentary and review perspective, including reactions. The situation is made more complicated by the highly politized nature, which Israel themselves attempted to contribute to. Matt and the team members have also already received threats from people regarding press accreditation removal and their personal safety, including lives.

They'd like to state their positions rather than beat around the bush. It will be left at that.

If anyone wants to leave and unsubscribe, it is their right to do so, but they hope everyone respects their decision and enjoys the rest of the Eurovision season as intented.

Figures. Please continue to hijack the contest with more political posturing, it sure makes this edition even more enjoyable.

Jupiter

Figures. Please continue to hijack the contest with more political posturing, it sure makes this edition even more enjoyable.
Lmao come on, what's to whine about with that statement? People are allowed to decide what to add in their personally created content and what not. Especially when the whole thing is this heated and it's easy to get a lot of backlash and genuinely harsh/hateful personal comments en masse with one 'wrong' statement (from either side, btw). You're acting as if a missing reaction video to one mediocra song was such a big deal, when it really isn't.

crashworld

Veteran
Lmao come on, what's to whine about with that statement? People are allowed to decide what to add in their personally created content and what not. Especially when the whole thing is this heated and it's easy to get a lot of backlash and genuinely harsh/hateful personal comments en masse with one 'wrong' statement (from either side, btw). You're acting as if a missing reaction video to one mediocra song was such a big deal, when it really isn't.

The question you need to ask yourself is why do you or ESCunited/youtubers feel the need to give into mob rules?
And if by logic, they get hate for either side, then what difference does it make to cover the contest objectively like in the past?
Obviously, a choice has been made and it was a political one.

Plus people "despise" Israel for "politicizing" the contest, aren't they doing the same thing by blanking Israel for the same reasons? Double standards much?

And also, if people are allowed to decide what they want to do about their content (which is put out there for the public consumption and critique), then I am just exercising my right to express my distaste for their actions. It is just that simple.

Jupiter

The question you need to ask yourself is why do you or ESCunited/youtubers feel the need to give into mob rules?
And if by logic, they get hate for either side, then what difference does it make to cover the contest objectively like in the past?
Obviously, a choice has been made and it was a political one.

Plus people "despise" Israel for "politicizing" the contest, aren't they doing the same thing by blanking Israel for the same reasons? Double standards much?

And also, if people are allowed to decide what they want to do about their content (which is put out there for the public consumption and critique), then I am just exercising my right to express my distaste for their actions. It is just that simple.

What exactly "covering the contest objectively" is is very much up for debate tho (and has been in this thread before). You can easily call including and blanking Israel political statements, most content creaters probably feel making no political statement at all is impossible either way.

IMO ESCUnited has found a good compromise - they're covering Israels participation as a fact, regarding running order etc. But they're not sharing any further personal opinion about it. Which is what reaction videos are. Because in which world are reaction Videos "objective covering" of news or music anyway? And as if people would not comment whatever opinion anyone has about "Hurricane" to be likely politically influenced too (and in part, that's even justified). They're not pretending Israel doesn't exist, but they're also not putting in extra work to create content that would only be floated with political messages.

Also, your posts here and in the Iceland thread in regards to Bashar have made it very clear that you're not unpolitical in this either. And it doesn't look like it's political messages that bother you, or that ESCUnited might have political reasons in general, but that it's political reasons you don't agree with. It's just disguised as some "this is not ~objective~" argument xshrug

LivingOrganism

Jokes and politics aside, Hurricane is a decent song. Maybe not top 10 material on paper, but it could definitely be uplifted by the live vocals, kind of like Bulgaria 2021 (or destroyed like Romania 2021). Obviously, politics will influence the results, but I don't think it'll be as important as people tend to expect. I'd put my bet on something between 10th to 15th place.

I bims

Veteran
Jokes and politics aside, Hurricane is a decent song. Maybe not top 10 material on paper, but it could definitely be uplifted by the live vocals, kind of like Bulgaria 2021 (or destroyed like Romania 2021). Obviously, politics will influence the results, but I don't think it'll be as important as people tend to expect. I'd put my bet on something between 10th to 15th place.
10th - 15th would be a placing I would see if another country send this song. But with the current situation I think 4th - 10th place is more likely. Maybe even Top 3 but some countries would really need to flop to open up that much space.

Top Bottom