6 3.6%

6 3.6%

6 3.6%

53 31.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Please keep discussion in this thread specific to Eden Golan and her song, Israel's (potential) participation in Eurovision 2024 and discussions or remarks from other countries and organisations about Israel's participation.

Any further discussion of a political or humanitarian nature not relating to specifically Israel in Eurovision 2024 needs to go into the politics sub-forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jupiter

Maybe it's because I'm bloody drunk coming from a big fat amazing Party, but: this absolutely soulless, personality-less, generic, plastic, basic, cookie-cutter, painted-by-the-numbers, offensively bland average-ness is what we get as "pay off" for all the political hoops that needed jumping through for Israel to participate? I'm sorry, but in a way, this is hilarious. I forgot the song existed while it was still playing, but it really got a laugh out of me. Man, if I were a country, I'd willingly go away before submitting this. Like man, a single bit of pride? Originality? Back-bone? This is the lame ass shit I'd parody drunk with friends bcs it's so bloody easy I'd be an idiot not to. "Oh ugh ugh me, poor little me, feel sorry, ah, ugh, oh oh, feel sorry already for me, blah blee blubb generic pointless lyric #1343125".

But honestly, as I'm against Israel participating anyway, so: thank you Israel for simply sending an awful entry! It's so annoying when you have to admit something you don't want to like is good! As a "Cha Cha Cha" stan, I hated admitting how good Loreen is or how cool her staging! As someone who loathes, loathes, loathes the very existence of the generic "french ballad TM" that is "Mon Amour" I haaaate admitting how good Slimane is or how impressive his acapella stunt! So truely, thank you Israel for making it easy and sending the worst, the worst!, type of entry possible: a calculated pity me ballad without an ounce of originality. Best last place ever xheart

Loindici

Veteran
Ah, I'm reminded so much of Albanian entries when I hear this. It's really a classic vocal contest winner ballad or FiK winner ballad.

I like dated ballads like this, but it feels like it's a little botched up and unfinished. It's like a 4 minute song being shortened into 3 minutes, leaves me unsatisfied honestly.

The climaxing falsetto starts to become a problem, too. It drags down the sincerity of the song for me, just normal belting would be better.

I will give it a :5: this time.

Last edited:

han-g

In all fairness I didn't want Israel in as well because it is heavily politicized even if the song (supposedly) isn't, and I don't really dig that the rhetorics are that your opinion on this song should be influenced by your stance in the Israel/Gaza conflict, or that Eden Golan is being bullied online, or in short: that it isn't about the song and the contest alone anymore,

BUT
I realized that wanting Israel to be out just because it would bring tranquility to the contest is a weak argument and isn't helping anyone.

Wanting Israel out because your opinion is that Israels participation is propaganda for a regime you do not support, even if the song is not about the conflict, is a valid opinion.
Wanting Israel in because your opinion is the contest is apolitical, and if KAN adheres to EBU rules they should be allowed to compete because the broadcaster =/= government, that's a valid opinion as well.

I'm weak and I still didn't made my mind up on Israels participation, but okay, they participate and I try to not treat this song any differently because I do not want the contest to be politicized, so my opinion now is that I should try to treat this entry just like any.

Few side notes,
I don't like people bullying Eden Golan online, she isn't at fault for anything and if you think she's being used for Israeli propaganda, try to educate her instead of bullying her
I'm aware that I'm delusional and this song will be penalized and/or awarded points for being Israeli regardless of the song, so I'm not helping anyone either with being a delusional moralist.

That ALL being said:
:6: points.
Kan =/= government, Israel would have withdrawn if it wasn't for the president telling them to change the lyrics, probably whilst holding the key to the treasury

crashworld

Veteran
I wonder what the staging for the performance is going to be. Is Eden going to be alone or they will do some contemporary interpretative dance like what they did in the video. I can see a Romania 2021 staging for this song, but I am sure Eden would have the capacity to do it without sounding exhausted like Roxen.

The song is growing on me with more listens, so likely this will end up in my top 3 this year.

And on a side note, I hope they will release the original version - "October Rain" after the contest as a remembrance to the Oct 7 victims.

And on a lighter note, the part with the orange sun is giving me Azerbaijan 2021 "MATA HARI". LOL!

Last edited:

MopManMoss

Veteran
Kan =/= government, Israel would have withdrawn if it wasn't for the president telling them to change the lyrics, probably whilst holding the key to the treasury
Israels president is a ceremonial position
and holds no financial or executive power

FilipFromSweden

This blew me away and I had tears in my eyes towards the end. It's a :12: for me and easily in my top 3.

HarryUK

Veteran
As I said with the leak, I really like the song! It’s a (and I can’t believe I’m saying this) welcome ballad to the contest! :7:

empo21

Veteran
Well it's hard to separate the song from the country in this case (especially knowing the history of their entry selection process). I can't support Israel and the song itself for me is a :5: just like most entries this year anyway.

VikingTiger

There is nothing new to this ballad. But I have to admit I quite like this. Eventhough I could to without the falsetto. And it's far from the best ballad this year. I guess a 6 is fine, the girl can obviously sing!

I am still not convinced that Eden will be in Malmø in May. She and the israeli delegation will surely be met with lots of demonstrations and hate. I do support KAN's right to participate though. However I am not sure it's a wise decision by KAN...

KazNew

This would 100% be a lock NQ if it was any other country in any other year. The first comparison that comes to mind is Vladana in 2022, but at least that had some degree of charm with its Balkan instrumentation.
I've said this already on Twitter - but this is exactly the type of song that would have finished in 7th in Selectia Nationala 2017. Average modern ballad with no real point of difference.
Unfortunately this is going to qualify and probably take a slot over a much more deserving performance.

njdevils94

Veteran
Really pretty pop ballad by Eden Golan. Stav Berger did a great job with the melody.on this. Its very memorable.The lyrics are little wonky at times but when they had to get changed various times that isn't too surprising. The fact that it's more simplistic compared to a good number of songs will help it stand it out. I think it has a decent chance of top 10.

I've generally not been too high on Israel at Eurovision in the last decade which includes their podium finishes (bar Feker libi but I'm not sure if we can't that because it was in 2020) but Hurricane is their best entry since 2014 for me. Reflects the mood in Israel and this current and present time since the October 7th attacks. I prefer it to all the ballads bar :ua: and :pt: 50k upvotes in the first 16 hours between the video isn't too shabby. :)

SirPeterGriffin

They made my life so easy. Would be paradoxical for me to appreciate an entry coming from this place. As it stands, it's a completely dull, soulless, cliche-ridden track with some word salad lyrics. The contest will reach its nadir when this gets pity votes. :0:

Last edited:
Top Bottom