6 3.6%

6 3.6%

6 3.6%

53 31.5%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Please keep discussion in this thread specific to Eden Golan and her song, Israel's (potential) participation in Eurovision 2024 and discussions or remarks from other countries and organisations about Israel's participation.

Any further discussion of a political or humanitarian nature not relating to specifically Israel in Eurovision 2024 needs to go into the politics sub-forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

crashworld

Veteran
So apparently, according to Israeli media:

The name of the new version is "Hurricane" and it is apparently about "a young woman overcoming personal hardships"

To be honest, even without rework and renamed of the song, the original form could have been about a person overcoming hardship without the Oct-7 context.

HarryUK

Veteran
If we recall the reasoning behind Russia and Belarus' bans from competing, it was due to them bringing the contest into disrepute due to politics. Two songs have been rejected by the EBU due to their political nature, why are they being given special treatment? That's my question.

ArmpitOfEurope

They may be re-writing the lyrics, but theres no way the wont try to put some references in them again - just better hidden this time I guess. Wont be shocked if Ebu rejects it again

crashworld

Veteran
If we recall the reasoning behind Russia and Belarus' bans from competing, it was due to them bringing the contest into disrepute due to politics. Two songs have been rejected by the EBU due to their political nature, why are they being given special treatment? That's my question.

Both bans are because the broadcasters being propaganda machines of the governments.

Originally, Belarus was given a chance to send in a second song without any political agenda. But they screwed it up by not giving in and then coupled with the fact the broadcaster had something to do with silencing the activists. If they did eventually send in a song with no political message and the latter circumstance did not happen, Belarus would still be eligible to participate in the 2021 contest and not faced a temporary ban.

As for Russia, I don't think there is anything we can dispute about since it was a blatant disregard of the EBU's rules and ethos.

For Israel's case, there is a difference. KAN was not in breach of any EBU's rules prior to sending the 2 songs. And now KAN is willing to cooperate to change the song's lyrics, I don't see this as a special treatment. KAN is merely testing their luck initially and now decided to play by the rules. But of course, we would only know by 10th March if KAN indeed decided to stick by the rules.

I am going to stop repeating myself to explain the situation with Russia/Belarus and Israel because it's damn tiresome.
People just want to see what they want to see without trying to even understand what exactly went on.

MopManMoss

Veteran
It's always good to dislike things you don't know yet.
What was the word for that again....? A yes! Something with "judice" in the end. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Israel shouldn't be I the contest this has been my position for several years:) feel the same about the caucuses and Australia

It's a disgrace that they are participating this year though, so yes I am going to hate whatever they send because it has absolutely no business being in this contest whilst ethnic cleansing occurs

Imagine if Serbia was in eurovision whilst they were exterminating Bosnians

Sammy

Veteran
Israel shouldn't be I the contest this has been my position for several years:) feel the same about the caucuses and Australia

It's a disgrace that they are participating this year though, so yes I am going to hate whatever they send because it has absolutely no business being in this contest whilst ethnic cleansing occurs

Imagine if Serbia was in eurovision whilst they were exterminating Bosnians
No need to explain. doesn’t change anything. Disliking things you dont know is the definition of being prejudiced. I just pointed that out. Everything else is a discussion I will not enter.

crashworld

Veteran
Israel knows full well they do not have anywhere near the amount of support for their retaliatory acts as they could have done, because of how they've gone about it. It all for me ties into this genocidal image of seeing innocent children lying dead in rubble, children who are too young to understand what has gone on around them and why they are under attack from a far stronger power. It doesn't sit right with me having an Israeli act on stage singing about that tragedy, when they're inflicting untold misery now under the blanket propaganda message of 'Hamas must be destroyed'. It is propaganda, plane and simple.

Urmm, the Israeli act is not the government and does not have a say on what the government did or is doing in this war.

I thought you people said you have nothing against Israelis because it's not their fault for what the Israeli's government actions and now you people are refusing Eden's right to sing about her pains and the likes of Israelis that went through that horrific event just because of the actions of her government?

And also, now that KAN and Israeli delegation has allegedly decided to change their lyrics and abide to the EBU rules, you also have an issue with their participation.

It's clear as day regardless of what the Israeli delegation/broadcaster does, even if they did come out with a "non-political" song in the first place, you and your kind simply just don't want them to participate.

I am not going to engage further coz obviously we are not going to agree. So happy to disagree.

HarryUK

Veteran
Urmm, the Israeli act is not the government and does not have a say on what the government did or is doing in this war.

I thought you people said you have nothing against Israelis because it's not their fault for what the Israeli's government actions and now you people are refusing Eden's right to sing about her pains and the likes of Israelis that went through that horrific event just because of the actions of her government?

And also, now that KAN and Israeli delegation has allegedly decided to change their lyrics and abide to the EBU rules, you also have an issue with their participation.

It's clear as day regardless of what the Israeli delegation/broadcaster does, even if they did come out with a "non-political" song in the first place, you and your kind simply just don't want them to participate.

I am not going to engage further coz obviously we are not going to agree. So happy to disagree.
Me and my kind? The kind that will call the mass murder of babies genocide? I’ll take that.

I stand by what I said - I have nothing against ordinary Israeli people, as I have nothing against ordinary Palestinian people. The only difference here is, Israel is significantly more powerful than Palestine and the evidence speaks for itself.

I hope this new song isn’t political; you grossly misrepresent what I’ve said - I do not understand why they have been given multiple chances to change the song after having two DIFFERENT ones rejected. There is political intent from the broadcaster. There’s no further discussion required of that point.

Marcos C

Here is more information about "Hurricane."

"After the decision to change the chosen text, the selection committee of KAN decided on the name and content of the new song that will be sent to Eurovision. It will not deal with the war, but with the request of a young woman who is coming out of a personal crisis.

"After the decision to change the selected text, the selection committee of KAN decided that the song that will be sent to Eurovision will be called 'Hurricane.'

"The new version of the song will be based on the melody of 'October Rain,' which was rejected by the European Broadcasting Union. Unlike the original version that dealt with the national crisis and the war in Israel, the new song deals with a young woman who comes out of a personal crisis, but the melody remains the same.

"[On Saturday], the selection committee met at night at KAN's offices to discuss the changes to the words in the two songs that reached first and second place. Representative Eden Golan also arrived last night around midnight for the committee's discussion and expressed her opinion on the intent of changing the wording. The new version of the song was written by Keren Pels and Avi Ohion, who also wrote 'October Rain.'

"As we published today, despite the disagreement with the position of the Eurovision Oversight Committee, which sought to disqualify the two songs submitted by Israel to the contest on the grounds that they 'carry a political character,' here they adopted the advice of the President of the State, Yitzhak Herzog, who turned to the Corporation Council of KAN and offered to make the necessary adjustments that will enable the representation of Israel on the Eurovision stage."

han-g

you really dont understand the subtext of wild west? lol...also the colors in the live show you dont understand? lol..aparentely you want to understand the things you want to...
They did say lyrics, not staging. It's a mute point now as it's not what iceland wanted but staging is something that is easily change between a national final and the actual competition and the ebu would have insisted on the staging changing.

han-g

On a more positive note. Eden has a fantastic voice and I look forward to hearing her song. I'm also happy it's likely she gets to participate but I worry for how her experience will be impacted.

Does anyone know if Hebrew is still going to feature? I would like there to still be a couple of phrases.

Israeliboy

On a more positive note. Eden has a fantastic voice and I look forward to hearing her song. I'm also happy it's likely she gets to participate but I worry for how her experience will be impacted.

Does anyone know if Hebrew is still going to feature? I would like there to still be a couple of phrases.
I think there will be some sentences in Hebrew as far as I remember.

njdevils94

Veteran
Ynet have just leaked the full lyrics of Hurricane thanks to an inside source from KAN. It is the believed the EBU has specifically highlighted the parts concerning angel imagery (can be interpreted as a reference to the October 7th attacks) and walking through fire (referencing the battle with Hamas) as too controversial in the present climate and will need to be changed. Can't see how the EBU would allow this song to compete. The lyrics below.

I don't wanna go
But baby, we both know
This is not our time
It's time to say goodbye

Until we meet again
'Cause this is not the end
It will come a day
When we will find our way

Violins playin' and the angels cryin'
When the stars align, then I'll be there

No, I don't care about them all
'Cause all I want is to be loved