6 3.6%

6 3.6%

6 3.6%

53 31.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Please keep discussion in this thread specific to Eden Golan and her song, Israel's (potential) participation in Eurovision 2024 and discussions or remarks from other countries and organisations about Israel's participation.

Any further discussion of a political or humanitarian nature not relating to specifically Israel in Eurovision 2024 needs to go into the politics sub-forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

CC92

Just for the "fun" of it (and I'm NOT behind that interpretation):

"I M": there is this line "you are mine" - that refers to Israeli wishes to get back total control over Gaza and possibly the westbank
"Golden boy": Mamma (speaking of Israel), someone broke my heart tonight (speaking of the attacks), now I'm gonna ease my pain (taking revenge) dancing on the floor (a metaphor for the war in Gaza)
"Feker Libi": Tonight ist our story (e.g. our victory in reach), we celebrate the glory (of taking revenge), we have no shame (we're in the right of what we doing in Gaza)
Toy: I'm not your toy (speaking to Hamas: don't mess with me) You stupid boy (again Hamas) I'll take you down now (i'll defeat you), make you watch me Dancing with my dolls (a metaphor for the missiles)

Again - I would never do an interpretation like that myself but if you want to do it - that's feasible. It's illogical, it's false, it's completely out of place, it's not what the spirit of the song is. BUT: I assure you that's how far fetched some people at this stage of the discussion go in interpreting.
While I do think both lyrics on offer now are intentionally ambigous, you have a point. Which is one of the reasons why I am now in favour of a general ban for countries involved in ongoing wars at that level.

Israeliboy

• Eden Golan by regulation must not participate with a political text. It can only cause further rifts and ruin the atmosphere of the contest.
  • If an Israeli artist now is allowed to participate I don't understand the current exclusion of Russian artists. Unless they are imperialist sympathizers, they are not to blame for the choices of their political leader.
#DisunitedByMusic
One you understand that they banned Russia for problems with its LOCAL broadcast you will get all the answers. You mixed things up here.

Mainshow

Veteran
While I do think both lyrics on offer now are intentionally ambigous, you have a point. Which is one of the reasons why I am now in favour of a general ban for countries involved in ongoing wars at that level.

Let's ban :uk: and :nl: as well for attacking Huthis in Yemen then.
I totally understand that it's not the "same" but if you are in favour of a "general ban for countries involved in on-going wars", we also need to ban these countries as well... and you added the words "at that level".
So what's "the level"? Who defindes it? Where are we going to draw the line? How many people need to die first?

The EBU made it pretty clear that :il: can take part several times - I just don't get it that a song about "dancing" gets rejected (of course you can read some political message into it but like @Sammy mentioned, you can do so with any song at this point)

Paco Roca

I think many don't reflect on the significance of an Israeli political song. The most prominent hypothesis is that Israel is not 100% right (it is as much a victim as an executioner) and this has already been enough to split Europe (it is not like in the case of Ukraine where everyone united against the invasion Russian). There is a religious struggle here. Europe is no longer the same as before. The continuous landings and open borders have, in a certain sense, Islamised the continent. Accepting the Israeli singer and consequently Iceland, which has become the flag bearer of the Palestinian situation, could cause damage to European political stability in a delicate moment where the Eastern front is coming together. I don't care about distant wars. First we must look at our home and also make sure not to make a moment of joy hostile. Thinking of distant peoples to motivate political songs means wanting to help a misfit when your bank account is in the red.

Paco Roca

At this point it feels like Israel could send any song - even in an imaginary language - and still there would be people finding something „political“ about it…
What do you think? It could go well? :unsure: Many artists now use and reinterpret other people's songs at the ESC.

Sammy

Veteran

Paco Roca

I‘m not quite sure how your post is connected to what I said… :unsure:
Could you elaborate that a bit?
Imaginary language = political case. Do you think that even in this case someone would see something political in it? 😃 There's little to understand, it was just a joke to lighten things up.

I bims

Veteran
"Music has all been in de village, in de camp, in de city, it has been a way of expressing de Palestinians opinions"

That's literally the intro to the video.
1. Yes that's in the video but not in the song lyrics as you claimed. It's not part of his Eurovision performance.
2. What about this quote even says "The West is wild for supporting Israel" ?

Romeo

1. Yes that's in the video but not in the song lyrics as you claimed. It's not part of his Eurovision performance.
2. What about this quote even says "The West is wild for supporting Israel" ?
What's to prove any part of October Rain is regarding the terrorist attacks in Israel? It's circumstantial. Lyrics can be interpreted in any way one wishes to interpret them

CC92

Let's ban :uk: and :nl: as well for attacking Huthis in Yemen then.
I totally understand that it's not the "same" but if you are in favour of a "general ban for countries involved in on-going wars", we also need to ban these countries as well... and you added the words "at that level".
So what's "the level"? Who defindes it? Where are we going to draw the line? How many people need to die first?

The EBU made it pretty clear that :il: can take part several times - I just don't get it that a song about "dancing" gets rejected (of course you can read some political message into it but like @Sammy mentioned, you can do so with any song at this point)

These two are not in violation of international law AFAIK.
There is no formula, of course, and cases of dispute might occur in future. Gaza war is obviously no such borderline case though.
Also when it comes to the meaning of the lyrics, the dog-whistle plays a compellingly low frequency. I acknowledge they would pass for a different country. Nevertheless, the mere fact that the first submission was called "October rain" shows that Kan has no interest in a frictionless participation, au contraire, and is probably deliberately provoking their own disqualification through this. Otherwise they would just abide by the demands and send something unequivocally harmless.

I bims

Veteran
What's to prove any part of October Rain is regarding the terrorist attacks in Israel? It's circumstantial. Lyrics can be interpreted in any way one wishes to interpret them
No it's not circumstantial. Replace the singer, the message and context stays the same. If I sang October Rain, it would still be quite clear I would be referring to October 7th and what the message would be.

Compare that to "Wild West". If I, a german gay man, would sing "Wild West" what connection to Israel would be there just based on the lyrics? Absolutely none. And that's the key difference between these songs.

Sammy

Veteran
Compare that to "Wild West". If I, a german gay man, would sing "Wild West" what connection to Israel would be there just based on the lyrics? Absolutely none. And that's the key difference between these songs.
Yeah, but if a german gay man would sing the song, Iceland would not have put him in their NF nor would anyone discuss his potential winning chances - regardless of his singing or performing qualities. And that‘s the problem with that act, that‘s what makes it inherently political.

Gili

No it's not circumstantial. Replace the singer, the message and context stays the same. If I sang October Rain, it would still be quite clear I would be referring to October 7th and what the message would be.

you really dont understand the subtext of wild west? lol...also the colors in the live show you dont understand? lol..aparentely you want to understand the things you want to...

crashworld

Veteran
These two are not in violation of international law AFAIK.

Usually I will let such comments pass as I want to abide to the rules where discussion on politics is to be done in the "Politics" thread.

But I feel there is a need to say this.

Please do not spread misinformation because AFAIK there is no official ruling at an international level on Israel's conduct in this war and that Israel has violated the international law.

crashworld

Veteran
^I did not say there was but then again I don't need a court to confirm to me that two plus three makes five either.

You didn't need to say it explicitly. It's obvious based on this reply, no?
And also, good for you then.

I wrote alternate lyrics for the song
Let me just find the book I wrote it in...

crashworld

Veteran
Apparently, an Israeli user from another forum mentioned this:

It's reported that both songs (October Rain, Dance Fever) are being rewritten and KAN will choose again between them (and then reviewed by the EBU), the entry will be presented March 10th.

I wonder the purpose of them to send the songs in the original form is to test the EBU's and general public's reactions. And then the broadcaster would make the changes to ensure they can continue to compete.

To be honest, they could have easily released the songs in the original form post-ESC as a dedication to the nation.
KAN please do not screw this up.

Kentish

What's lost behind the politics is that Eden Golan is one of the year's strongest performers. Is there anyone who's battle-tested to be better? All the favorites are untested.

This is going to mess up the odds in frantic fashion in the upcoming days. It'll be one of the favorites soon.

Top Bottom