That's rich
That's rich
Yeah that's rich
When It's coming from you
That's rich

BYE BYE fool (ooww!)​

HarryUK

Veteran
This was the best of the mess that was the Late Late Show Eurovision selection, but being the best of a bad bunch isn't that good either. The song itself is OK, I just can't warm to her live vocal & I can just see an Ireland 2019 happening again - stone cold last. Until this year I was in favour of the BBC not being involved in Eurovision again, I do wonder if RTE need to take a step back.

Shaney1995

For people saying Rachel Goode should have been chosen, she has an amazing voice and I know her as am acquaintance. But the song didn't suit her she needed a good ballad. Brooke was the better option.

Last edited:

Zerocalcare

At the London Pre Party, I felt more energy in the performance and more confidence from Brooke and the dancers. A nice improvement. If Brooke manages to transform the Turin stage into a nightclub full of energy then she could qualify and achieve a good result in the final. "That's Rich" has potential. It just depends on how it is used. "Remember Brooke... with great power comes great responsibility" (semi quote Spiderman) 😄

Shaney1995

This was the best of the mess that was the Late Late Show Eurovision selection, but being the best of a bad bunch isn't that good either. The song itself is OK, I just can't warm to her live vocal & I can just see an Ireland 2019 happening again - stone cold last. Until this year I was in favour of the BBC not being involved in Eurovision again, I do wonder if RTE need to take a step back.
RTE needs to open a multi round competition. Have hundreds audition and have 15 or so go through to live shows and narrow it to 4 in a final. They are just being cheap.

Both Ireland and Britain are full of talent, you only have to look at how many successful artists we have internationally.

That said, I'm not fully writing Brooke off just yet. Her placing in the semi is a hinderance but with good staging and stable vocals she can still qualify but the Irish team have a lot of work to get the staging right.

crashworld

Veteran
Performance @ London Eurovision Party

I really like the song, but this performance is not doing it for me. It lacked the energy and fun. And she doesn't sound that good. This feels very amateur (I mean you can call this the charming point). Hopefully, she will improve more by the SF.

kamc

Belarus were able to squeeze a qualification with a similar sort of song/vocals in 2019 so hopefully Brooke can manage the same

HarryUK

Veteran
RTE needs to open a multi round competition. Have hundreds audition and have 15 or so go through to live shows and narrow it to 4 in a final. They are just being cheap.

Both Ireland and Britain are full of talent, you only have to look at how many successful artists we have internationally.

That said, I'm not fully writing Brooke off just yet. Her placing in the semi is a hinderance but with good staging and stable vocals she can still qualify but the Irish team have a lot of work to get the staging right.
I do think RTE are stuck in the mentality that they can win with a 90s ballad, the selection was full of them. Sadly as much of a good idea that is, RTE won't go for it. They can't even be bothered to do a proper selection show, they just do it on the Late Late Show! That demographic is not your ideal Eurovision viewer.

empo21

Veteran
The styling is so much better. I hope the boots and skirts stay

Anyway, the vocals are not great, but I think she was singing with no backing vocals, which is great (and brave) and means that the backing track during esc will boost her up.

celestialsoothsayer

Belarus were able to squeeze a qualification with a similar sort of song/vocals in 2019 so hopefully Brooke can manage the same
supposedly belarus only qualified that year because one of the jurors voted backwards so they didn't even make it on their own merits

SarahM

The styling is so much better. I hope the boots and skirts stay

Anyway, the vocals are not great, but I think she was singing with no backing vocals, which is great (and brave) and means that the backing track during esc will boost her up.
I think the choreography needs to be adjusted to allow her to catch her breath in parts, but even if this does not happen, the Eurovision stage will have better sound mixing. Fair play to her for singing completely live, some acts did not.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

RTÉ whenever the idea of a better song selection process comes up:

TwcbbjM.gif

Honestly, do we even need a live show? I'd take an online vote like what Bulgaria did last year but with more songs (maybe 8 or 10?) if it meant we'd get more song variety and quality. Spend the money on getting quality songs and ditch everything else.

HarryUK

Veteran
Can we address the fact that Brooke was on The Voice UK but can't seem to pull off a strong vocal performance live with this song? What's going on

Shaney1995

I do think RTE are stuck in the mentality that they can win with a 90s ballad, the selection was full of them. Sadly as much of a good idea that is, RTE won't go for it. They can't even be bothered to do a proper selection show, they just do it on the Late Late Show! That demographic is not your ideal Eurovision viewer.
Exactly .. the late late show is basically everyone over 50 voting for the song. Probably half the viewership is 70+

HarryUK

Veteran
Exactly .. the late late show is basically everyone over 50 voting for the song. Probably half the viewership is 70+
I'm honestly surprised Niamh Kavanagh hasn't been drafted in to participate again

Chrisiam

Ireland doesn't need bigger or better selection shows. They just need their selection process to be run by people who want to win the contest and are less concerned about making a selection show that makes for good TV late one wet February night. That is the issue the UK has had (and likely still has) where they are more concerned about doing something quick and inoffensive so they can get a rating bump and justify the money they spend on the broadcasting rights of the main show.

I mean this as no offence to Brooke or anyone else who tried to represent Ireland this year, but the reason why they were selected will be because the person who made the call is probably into that kind of pop talent show sound and went with something similar. Changing the format is meaningless when the acts selected to do it are going to be of the same kind of sound and calibre as any other given year.

They could easily keep the same format as this year but pick a more diverse range of acts and that is it. No need to really spend a penny more than they have already. They just need people whose idea of current and trendy music isn't something they caught off The Voice or the UK version of The X Factor half a decade ago.

HarryUK

Veteran
Ireland doesn't need bigger or better selection shows. They just need their selection process to be run by people who want to win the contest and are less concerned about making a selection show that makes for good TV late one wet February night. That is the issue the UK has had (and likely still has) where they are more concerned about doing something quick and inoffensive so they can get a rating bump and justify the money they spend on the broadcasting rights of the main show.

I mean this as no offence to Brooke or anyone else who tried to represent Ireland this year, but the reason why they were selected will be because the person who made the call is probably into that kind of pop talent show sound and went with something similar. Changing the format is meaningless when the acts selected to do it are going to be of the same kind of sound and calibre as any other given year.

They could easily keep the same format as this year but pick a more diverse range of acts and that is it. No need to really spend a penny more than they have already. They just need people whose idea of current and trendy music isn't something they caught off The Voice or the UK version of The X Factor half a decade ago.
I think the main problem is the selection show; Late Late Show's demographic is not what you'd classify as the target demographic for Eurovision imo. The producers would not choose anything daring or out of the box to compete because it would turn that demographic off and there would be no viewers.

Shaney1995

Can we address the fact that Brooke was on The Voice UK but can't seem to pull off a strong vocal performance live with this song? What's going on
I think we have to wait and see how she will be during rehearsals in a few weeks. Brooke as you said has a brilliant voice, turning 4 chairs even at her audition is no easy thing at all.

But so far she's been on tiny stages including the RTE one. None have good sound acoustics and she's been doing it without any backing vocals.

My hope is they'd figure out some choreography she finds easy and they get a good sound balance with backing vocals. They should also consider using a filter of some sort on the talking part as there are slight mic changes they can get away with for that

HarryUK

Veteran
I think we have to wait and see how she will be during rehearsals in a few weeks. Brooke as you said has a brilliant voice, turning 4 chairs even at her audition is no easy thing at all.

But so far she's been on tiny stages including the RTE one. None have good sound acoustics and she's been doing it without any backing vocals.

My hope is they'd figure out some choreography she finds easy and they get a good sound balance with backing vocals. They should also consider using a filter of some sort on the talking part as there are slight mic changes they can get away with for that
Oh I hope they don't do some corny staging because she can't sing and dance at the same time.... the diner can stay in 2019!

HarryUK

Veteran
I think it's the addition of the choreography :unsure:
The trouble is, you can't not have choreography with a song like that or it just looks.... odd.

She'd be better off with a (yes I'm going to say it after slating Ireland for being 90s ballad central) a mid-tempo ballad, where dancing would be out of place. That way, she's not overwhelmed with choreography and we can hear her amazing voice a lot better.

Top Bottom