13 10.1%

10 7.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

crashworld

Veteran
That's the thing with RUV. Their true intentions of including Bashar is starting to show.
They said they will let the winner decide if Iceland is to participate.
Now that Hera has openly expressed her willingness to go, but now they are just delaying their confirmation.

So it's HIGHLY PLAUSIBLE they thought Bashar would go on winning and then RUV will appear "innocent" and can say this is what the Iceland's public wants. Seems like they have miscalculated their moves.

If RUV decides to drop Hera and send Bashar, then RUV is just despicable and this NF is just a farce.

And also, I wouldn't be surprised if RUV is "forcing" Hera behind-the-scenes to agree to drop out and ask Hera to announce she decided not to go, so they can pick Bashar to go.

mup

That's the thing with RUV. Their true intentions of including Bashar is starting to show.
Now that Hera has openly expressed her willingness to go, but now they are just delaying their confirmation.

So it's HIGHLY PLAUSIBLE they thought Bashar would go on winning and then RUV will appear "innocent" and can say this is what the Iceland's public wants. Seems like they have miscalculated their moves.

If RUV decides to drop Hera and send Bashar, then RUV is just despicable and this NF is just a farce.

And also, I wouldn't be surprised if RUV is "forcing" Hera behind-the-scenes to agree to drop out and ask Hera to announce she decided not to go, so they can pick Bashar to go.
Again, if true, this is so bad! :( If their minds were already set on sending a Palestinian singer as a political move they could have announced him via internal selection instead of putting up a whole NF decided by the televote, where you have to expect the unexpected, particularly so in a one vs. one superfinal.

BernadetteCydonia

I thought that their intention was to not participate altogether if they decide that Eurovision cannot be agreed on?

Jupiter

I hate hate hate that this does indeed sound plausible. I don't think Bashar only applied bcs of the current situation - deadline too early etc, but bcs he really wants to go to Eurovision. And it annoys me too if RÚV basically sees and uses him as a "protest vote" - which I wasn't inclinded to believe at first, given "Wild West" was at least on par with most other NF entries. But RÚVs behaviour now really does look... a certain way, and it is simply disrespectful against anyone involved (most certainly and extremely against Hera, who deserves better). If they wanted to protest so much, they should have had a spine and withdrawn in the first place. If they do make Hera withdraw, they better (at least) pick her next year.

Stina

People can google translate the article above it they want but in a nutshell the article (from January) says all the contestants int he song contest were aware and accepted that this year there would be a separation between the song contest and Eurovision participation AND that the decision would be made mid-March "in consulation with" the winner.

I remember when I first heard this I thought "why waste my money voting then". Then I think the inclusion of Bashar made me and many others forget what was actually told to us and this is where we all sit now...

Honestly Hera won't make it out of the semi's and with all the bs around the contest this year I don't think I even care anymore if we take part or not. Just skip it and use those tax dollars elsewhere.

eta... I will say if RUV really wanted to fix this they would have done a better job picking the judging panel as the majority had Hera and Bashar top two and that is where they ended up. Personally I think if there was a fix it was to have Hera in the final two with Bashar so that when the situation we find ourselves in now occurred it would be with a grown ass woman who has been in the industry for decades and not one of the young newer acts taking part as I think the hate that both Hera and Bashar have gotten would be REALLY HARD on any of the other contestants.

0scar

Well yeah sure but then just pull out of Eurovision or send Hera, it's gonna look really.. suspicious and honestly not a good look if they were to send Bashar instead.
It's kinda sus already that they take so much time to decide if they are gonna participate or not. As said before: I sincerely hope they aren't pressuring Hera to drop out of going to Malmö. She already said she'd like to go.

mup

People can google translate the article above it they want but in a nutshell the article (from January) says all the contestants int he song contest were aware and accepted that this year there would be a separation between the song contest and Eurovision participation AND that the decision would be made mid-March "in consulation with" the winner.

I remember when I first heard this I thought "why waste my money voting then". Then I think the inclusion of Bashar made me and many others forget what was actually told to us and this is where we all sit now...

Honestly Hera won't make it out of the semi's and with all the bs around the contest this year I don't think I even care anymore if we take part or not. Just skip it and use those tax dollars elsewhere.

eta... I will say if RUV really wanted to fix this they would have done a better job picking the judging panel as the majority had Hera and Bashar top two and that is where they ended up. Personally I think if there was a fix it was to have Hera in the final two with Bashar so that when the situation we find ourselves in now occurred it would be with a grown ass woman who has been in the industry for decades and not one of the young newer acts taking part as I think the hate that both Hera and Bashar have gotten would be REALLY HARD on any of the other contestants.
Thank you for providing us information regarding this situation.(y)

han-g

Apparently one of the writers of scared of heights has been trying to withdraw the song so Bashar can participate or iceland just not participate, I wonder if now that's been settled we will hear something soon.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
So she says Bashar lost because of racism being rampant in Iceland??? sis, close the door and leave.

The bitter energy is real.

CC92

Yawn have her wear a keffiyeh as a compromise but let her slay the bop.

SAYAY

Apparently one of the writers of scared of heights has been trying to withdraw the song so Bashar can participate or iceland just not participate, I wonder if now that's been settled we will hear something soon.

Ok I must admit I did not see that one coming

crashworld

Veteran
Not Iceland trying to bring the drama.

Now that Israel has been confirmed to participate, RUV please do not act like a wuss.
If you want to make a statement against Israel, then have the guts to withdraw.

I really pity Hera out of all this. Imagine having a songwriter of your song trying to affect your potential participation in a negative way.

SAYAY

Not Iceland trying to bring the drama.

Now that Israel has been confirmed to participate, RUV please do not act like a wuss.
If you want to make a statement against Israel, then have the guts to withdraw.

I really pity Hera out of all this. Imagine having a songwriter of your song trying to affect your potential participation in a negative way.
I think it will most likely just function as a form of "quiet protest" though, because its up to RUV now what they want to do with the song. It could be their confirmation has been postponed if they have had this discussion its with this songwriter and that is why they still have not confirmed nor withdrawn. But I also understood it seems they will have some kind of investigation regarding the voting, so I think I will wait to write more about this until we know what actually happens with Iceland.

Mainshow

Veteran

Simple solution:

Let Hera Björk represent :is: in Malmö because she WON - it doesn't matter why/how she won as long as it was fair and no rules were broken.
The EBU should give :is: a few additional days to come up with a new song for Hera - since "Scared of Heights" is chanceless anyway... and just let songwriters be part of it who really want to see their song in Malmö.

This is effing ridiculous and it's getting on my nerves.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I'm actually surprised Iceland (RUV) is behaving like this. I'd expect something like this from Belarus, not Iceland. If they're putting pressure on Hera now to drop out, very cruel behaviour, just gross.

Well, the problem is that the songwriters want to drop out as well.

ESC94

Simple solution:

Let Hera Björk represent :is: in Malmö because she WON - it doesn't matter why/how she won as long as it was fair and no rules were broken.
The EBU should give :is: a few additional days to come up with a new song for Hera - since "Scared of Heights" is chanceless anyway... and just let songwriters be part of it who really want to see their song in Malmö.

You´re taking the words out of my mouth. I´m really sorry for Hera now because she´s just a game ball in the hands of RUV.

CC92

Simple solution:

"Scared of heights" won, not Hera. Making her sing a completely different song in Malmö would be an even worse level of defraud than sending the runner-up. Technically I guess they could hand SOH to Bashar, however.:D

Top Bottom