13 10.0%

10 7.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Mainshow

Veteran
Haha welcome to the land of fjords! But I would probably be a bit cautious with moving to say Geiranger. Watch the movie "Bølgen" for context :LOL:

Since I was at school when Hera represented :is: back in 2010,.I've already lived enough to deal with the risk of getting the Bølgen treatment as long as I can look at the fjords and watch Eurovision with a spouse who's also a fan hahaha

SAYAY

Since I was at school when Hera represented :is: back in 2010,.I've already lived enough to deal with the risk of getting the Bølgen treatment as long as I can look at the fjords and watch Eurovision with a spouse who's also a fan hahaha

Lolinna

WOW, this was a bummer. I mean, I really like Hera Björk as an artist, but this song is doing nothing for me. I was a bit worried this would happen, since I sensed an undercurrent, that were definitely not going to let Bashar win, and that undercurrent had the winning hand obviously.

Loindici

Veteran
No we see if Hera goes to Eurovision or if this was a disguised internal selection for Bashar or :is: withdraw. The guidelines stated the winner of Songvakeppnin this year isn't necessarily going to Eurovision. We'll have to wait. Not a fan of her song though. A shame Sigga Ozk had no chance. Hera and Vaeb were my least favorite songs of the final. Sadly the best song was eliminated in the semifinals.

"Hera Björk had commented earlier this week that she would compete in Eurovision 2024 if she won the selection." At least this is what a rewrite in Eurovoix says. Let's see when the truth unveils next week.

ArmpitOfEurope

Why would an artist enter a national selection for Eurovision if they dont want to go to ESC?
For promo for their music someone will say, but thats kinda a scam for all the people that spend money on the votes having Eurovision in their mind.
I believe Hera will go, shes a 50yo singer in a country with not many opportunities, why would she waste this.

han-g

Will people now admit they only supported "Wild West" because the singer from Palestine? You can admit it now as he didnt win!
As someone who is not a big edm fan it was genuinely my favourite of this nf. But I don't think I would have ranked it highly overall... definetley outside my top 10

ZoboCamel

Another day, another NF surprise, lol. My opinions aren't as strong as some others here - I neither loved nor hated Bashar - but I do think he had the better song and performance than Hera.

Bashar would've been a low 7 or something for me - i.e. a touch above average - with the drawback of then facing two and a half months of angry "Eurovision is/isn't political," "will Iceland win with a song that isn't winner quality and what should we think about that" discourse in the fandom and broader media. Hera likely avoids that, but her song is kind of just a pile of nothing. Inoffensive, vaguely pleasant nothing, but nothing nonetheless. It's serving "we've got Embers at home" energy, and I'm not really sure you want to come across as a cheap knockoff of a song that came dead-last three years ago. Plus, this is coming from someone who absolutely loved her 2010 entry, and still listens to it regularly. This one, though... :3: points.

---Warning: the following devolves into a rant against superfinals at national selections.---

As far as the NF voting goes... yeah, this is probably another entry into my endless #bansuperfinals campaign. Or, rather, superfinals with four or more songs are fine, but when you go down to three - or especially two, as is the case here - you just open up a whole can of anti-voting worms.

Sure, there would've been people still voting for their favourite song, but any time you narrow things down to two choices, one of which is controversial, you're practically begging its detractors to vote against it, as opposed to people just voting for what they like. It gets you compromise winners that minimise unhappiness, as opposed to maximising the number of people who actually love the song. That might be a perfectly good reason to use those kinds of runoff voting systems in, say, political elections, but at Eurovision... Well, a contest full of "broadly acceptable compromise winners" wouldn't exactly be exciting.

It's the same system that two years ago saw the risky Turn This Around, which was winning in the initial Songvakeppnin 2022 vote, lose to the much more broadly agreeable Með hækkandi sól in the superfinal. And with Bashar, of course, those anti-votes aren't just about the song but also, potentially, from people who want to avoid sending a politically charged entry, or avoid sending a pro-Palestine entry specifically, or avoid sending a Palestinian in general, or anyone not of Icelandic birth / long-term Icelandic residence...

Which ironically, I think, could make choosing Hera political itself. Even if her song isn't, her becoming a proxy vote for "we don't want the Palestinian guy representing us," or for "we'd rather stay out of the whole dispute," could sort of make the choice of Hera political.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong here; if Hera was leading Bashar in the first round of voting, and/or she beat him in the semifinal, you can't exactly say that she only won because of the superfinal and/or anti-voting. Maybe Icelandic voters just had odd taste this year? It's certainly not impossible, given what we've seen from a bunch of the other NFs this season. And I did see some talk around over the past week that Hera's Icelandic social media stats (e.g. on the Songvakeppnin Facebook page or something) were actually stronger than Bashar's during/after the semifinal. Still - I'll be very interested to see the full results, whenever they're released.

Sabrewulf238

I'm a fan of Je Ne Sais Quoi but this song doesn't do a lot for me...

Really surprised with this winning, though this entire NF has seemed weird to me so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

I'd probably give it a :5: maybe.

Last edited:

SAYAY

Why would an artist enter a national selection for Eurovision if they dont want to go to ESC?
For promo for their music someone will say, but thats kinda a scam for all the people that spend money on the votes having Eurovision in their mind.
I believe Hera will go, shes a 50yo singer in a country with not many opportunities, why would she waste this.
I think a bit like MGP, the list of contestants for (Im sorry I already know I will probably write this horribly wrong) Sognvakeppin was probably ready before the events that happened in October. And if Sognvakeppin and MGP is similar in any way format wise; Margaret Berger said in an interview that they were under some kind of contract that said they could not withdraw from MGP just like that, but I suppose the contract also in theory doesn't necessarily bind them to go to Eurovision. Which makes sense to me, because unforeseen things can always happen that might make an eurovision participation difficult, wether it be medical reasons or say death in near family or other things, idk. But anyway, it could be there is something similar with RUV/Sognvakeppin?

ShoeFlo

I suggest we shall cancel this whole trash-ass NF and put @ShoeFlo in charge for finding a great artist & a song for :is: xclapxbike (he'd do it for free)

Not only would I do it for free, I would actually pay the RÚV for engaging me. For me that's worth it :mrgreen: But I'd only do it on condition that I could act as the manager for the artists and spend every minute at their side, getting really deep into the whole Eurovision bubble :cool: The major problem for me and the artists I would consider is actually the three-minutes-limit but well that's a challenge we could somehow overcome

Back to topic: Eh, well, I didn't watch the final because I was devastated after the Semi Final results. Bashars song is by far better than the one of Hera Björk. But I didn't want any of them to win. My favorites were Heiðrún Anna, CeaseTone and Blankiflúr. In my view the Icelandic audience couldn't mess it up more than they did. No offense though, we Germans are also experts in shameful votings.
Heras song is atrocious and imo she is past her best. I wouldn't mind if she decide for a boycott lol

ollibox

Oh no.... Iceland....
Why? :cry:
This song was bound to be at the bottom of already selected songs.... I'm SO SO sorry, for real.
I personally was for Sigga from the start, but I acknowledged, that's not probably an universally popular choice.
Since 90's beat is the hype these days (MY beat btw), I sincerely thought she might have a chance in the Final.
But yeah... For the selected song, I predict definite NQ. Sorry again for my harsh words...
Positive thing, I'll have both last years and this years Sigga's songs in my personal playlist for a LONG time and thank her for that!
But that's only my taste. This year, Anita (or MAYBE even Bashar) would have been a better choice.
Anyways, Good luck, Iceland!

Top Bottom