• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Put your middle fingers up
Take a shot, throw it up and don't stop
I'm, I'm, I'm living that life on the dark side

Every psycho in the scene
Hands up and follow me saying (hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo)
Empire of the freaks, all drinks on me

Just another night in my pitch black paradise
Don't wanna cry, so I gotta get paralyzed
My body is my weapon, so I keep it loaded
'Til I'm all over the place like my head exploded
Don't waste your prayers, they can't save us
Lifestyles of the sick and dangerous

Likе the 27 Club, headshot
We don't wanna grow up
I'm, I'm, I'm living that lifе on the dark side
Life on the dark side

Empire of the freaks, all drinks on me

I'm in a cave of man-made misery
Digging a grave for myself and my enemies
Of all the dark things that keep me wasted
You're the sweetest I've ever tasted

Like the 27 Club, headshot
We don't wanna grow up
Life on the dark side

Just another night in my pitch black paradise
Don't wanna cry so I gotta get paralyzed
Don't waste your prayers, they can't save us
Lifestyles of the sick and dangerous

Like the 27 Club, headshot
We don't wanna grow up
Life on the dark side

Empire of the freaks, all drinks on me​

Last edited by a moderator:

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
Why I love Dark Side? Well, I haven't listened a lot to Blind Channel before, just a few songs (and they were on my list of future potential ::bal artists because of that), but Dark Side reminds me of something one of my all-time favorite bands would make.

I could give you LOADS of great songs Hollywood Undead has made, but I kinda doubt you'll like them a lot, but here's "Dead Bite":

(They have released a remix album tho, and there might be something there you like, but that's less relevant right now)

As you know, I don't drink alcohol, and I don't do drugs, so a band that raps about drugs, alcohol, suicides and crime shouldn't really appeal to me, but it's cool to listen to. Like when I first got addicted to Eminem, when he was making music about basically slaughtering his girlfriend and mom. I guess it's like an escape from reality to me. But the most important thing, I think this music sounds absolutely awesome. :D There's something about the combination of rock/metal music and dark rap lyrics that really works for me. ;)

mauve

Veteran
Okay, can anyone that's into this song please tell me what makes it so special? To me, it sounds like any number of faceless songs of the same genre that you'd hear in one of the Burnout racing games in the 00s on PlayStation/Xbox. It just really doesn't sound new or fresh or special enough to warrant all of those :12: and :10: votes.

I know that I will probably be dismissed as "not the target audience" but I really want to try to understand why people are losing their marbles over this?
The argument that a song shouldn't go back in time (for example the 00s) is rather a weak argument. So many songs (not only at ESC) have elements of another musical era. Raylee comes to mind with her 80's vibes and many others. Why is that bad? Not every "new" music is good, and not every "old" music is bad. I love Hard Rock / Metal of any kind as long as the song is good and Blind Channel serves us big time. Even though they sound like Linkin Park, I wanna shake my head to Dark Side and wanna dance hard. That's what music is all about: to give us emotions of many kinds such as melancholy, joy, strength, ect.

theditz83

Veteran
Yeah I wasn't suggesting that sounding like it was from the 00s is bad, but merely that this song itself doesn't sound any more unique than loads of songs I heard from back then. But I guess to give some context, I am a big fan of 90s Eurodance which I know many people would argue is rehashed melodies, beats and lyrics over and over again, so yeah - I will put it down to me not being the target audience for this track but also probably the fact that there is no other song like this in the contest so it has a better chance to stand out for fans of the genre.

And I don't actually dislike the song at all, I personally just find it a little unoriginal in the context of my more limited knowledge of nu-metal (but the Linkin Park reference you make is a very valid one)

ayzelto

Good entry, very "Finland". I am not a fan of this kind of music but I think it will do pretty well. 6 points.

burrito

Okay, can anyone that's into this song please tell me what makes it so special? To me, it sounds like any number of faceless songs of the same genre that you'd hear in one of the Burnout racing games in the 00s on PlayStation/Xbox. It just really doesn't sound new or fresh or special enough to warrant all of those :12: and :10: votes.

I know that I will probably be dismissed as "not the target audience" but I really want to try to understand why people are losing their marbles over this?

I can only speak for myself, but as a "target audience", for me all about this song just hits right. I like their energy on stage. I like the very old-school circa-2002 sound. I like the structure of the song, I like the melody, their voices, heck I even like the lyrics. It's that kind of song that makes me wanna party. It's a full package. And given all that, I don't really care whether it's original or not (regarding the song itself; as for the genre, I'd even say it's pretty original to play nu-metal nowadays, let alone on Eurovision) because I enjoy it a lot. I don't know if it's the best nu metal song I've ever heard (hard to beat 2000-2003 Linkin Park, isn't it?) , but I find it exceptionally good.

Iker

Veteran

It is outside of the box for Eurovision standards, has a very uplifting chorus and is memorable. But I agree that the song is nothing special in its own subgenre. 'Dark Side' is good but not astonishing. These two songs of Swedish band called Soilwork 'Downfall 24' and 'Distortion Sleep' I rate much higher, their style is also somewhat nu-metalish (but leaning maybe more melodic death metal, it is more heavy and I am not convinced whether they ever rap properly). The chorus is such an earworm in both. More catchy than in 95% of pop songs I swear. Besides them among my favourite music artists from Scandinavia (in this case Denmark) are ... Oh Land (indie pop) and Lars Danielsson (jazz), so as you see I have a pretty diverse taste in music.

Last edited:

heke1988

When I first time listened "Dark Side", it was about 8 or 10 points song for me, because I like this kind of music genre. After few more listenings, it was full 12 points. I wasn't huge fan of Linkin Park, but they had few songs, which I liked: "Numb" and "In the End". Blind Channel brings back those memories.

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
It is outside of the box for Eurovision standards, has a very uplifting chorus and is memorable. But I agree that the song is nothing special in its own subgenre. 'Dark Side' is good but not astonishing. These two songs of Danish band called Soilwork 'Downfall 24' and 'Distortion Sleep' I rate much higher, their style is also somewhat nu-metalish (but leaning maybe more melodic death metal, it is more heavy and I am not convinced whether they ever rap properly). The chorus is such an earworm in both. More catchy than in 95% of pop songs I swear. Besides them among my favourite music artists from Denmark are ... Oh Land (indie pop) and Lars Danielsson (jazz), so as you see I have a pretty diverse taste in music.

Soilwork was one of my ultimate gems when i was a metalhead teenager, right after my "nu-metal" period. I can't count how many times back then i listened the album you're refferring to, Figure Number Five, even though my favourite Soilwork track is As We Speak, out of their previous album Natural Born Chaos :

And yeah i agree about their songs, which opened pop choruses in metal. They kept it really melodical. Yet as there was back then this "swedish melodic death metal" wave, i can add also bands like In Flames with albums like Reroute to Remain or Soundtrack to Your Escape. I'm just listening to their track The Quiet Place and i have to say that i think BC has been inspired a lot by these albums.

Never noticed their "melodic death metal" roots, now this seems pretty clear to me. In Flames turned out to be more like a "nu-metal" band afterwards in the end lol
Btw, Soilwork are swedish... even though yeahhhhh, they are from Helsingborg which is pretty real close to Denmark ;)

Made me think of another band which was maybe one of the one in this whole bunch of melodic death metal : Scar Symmetry with the album Pitch Black Progress. I had to put this track, another one absolute gem from my teenage life. Another chorus which is kind of ohrwurm.

Last edited:

Iker

Veteran
Soilwork was one of my ultimate gems when i was a metalhead teenager, right after my "nu-metal" period. I can't count how many times back then i listened the album you're refferring to, Figure Number Five, even though my favourite Soilwork track is As We Speak, out of their previous album Natural Born Chaos :

And yeah i agree about their songs, which opened pop choruses in metal. They kept it really melodical. Yet as there was back then this "swedish melodic death metal" wave, i can add also bands like In Flames with albums like Reroute to Remain or Soundtrack to Your Escape. I'm just listening to their track The Quiet Place and i have to say that i think BC has been inspired a lot by these albums.

Never noticed their "melodic death metal" roots, now this seems pretty clear to me. In Flames turned out to be more like a "nu-metal" band afterwards in the end lol
Btw, Soilwork are swedish... even though yeahhhhh, they are from Helsingborg which is pretty real close to Denmark ;)

Made me think of another band which was maybe one of the one in this whole bunch of melodic death metal : Scar Symmetry with the album Pitch Black Progress. I had to put this track, another one absolute gem from my teenage life. Another chorus which is kind of ohrwurm.

I don't know why I thought / assumed they were Danish, thank you for correcting me! I think I was thinking too about another Scandinavian metal band Mercenary that I like too while creating that post who are indeed from Denmark.

heke1988

Blind Channel's youtube channel has at this moment four episode about Life On the Dark Side:

hijirio

Veteran
Worst Finnish song in years. I can get in the mood for rock, but Blind Channel sounds cheap and amateur to me :) You can find Turkish high school bands doing this kind of music. 🤣🤣

I am pretty sure this will NQ in SF2 bloodbath, and I won’t miss it in the final.

:0: #sorrynotsorry

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
Worst Finnish song in years. I can get in the mood for rock, but Blind Channel sounds cheap and amateur to me :) You can find Turkish high school bands doing this kind of music. 🤣🤣

I am pretty sure this will NQ in SF2 bloodbath, and I won’t miss it in the final.

:0: #sorrynotsorry

I double that

this entry is sooo overrated

just noise in my ears

hijirio

Veteran
:0: sounds like a 2005 NQ

I thought it was impossible for any rock act to be worse than Yüksek Sadakat, but there comes Finland 2021 who makes ‘Live it Up’ sound like a landslide winner.

heke1988

WTF is violent pop?
nu-metal ok - old hat but i know it from the 2000s.
"violent" sounds so dangerous - are they dangerous? :ROFLMAO:

This is google-translate about soundi's interview in 2014, where Joel Hakko tells, what Blind Channel means by Violent Pop.

Yes, you have advertised your music with the term “violent pop”. What makes Blind Channel special?

Joel: “Violent pop is the perfect description of our style of music. It combines heavy corners of modern rock and metal music, machines and elements of rap music. We also make use of pure pop manners. Initially, this genre definition was a random throw, but it has since survived. The field of popular music is in a state of constant change and we believe we are currently standing out from the crowd. ”

heke1988

very good question!
i think the EBU will have singing and dancing robots without any personality on stage.
PC cleaning squad is very busy in these days.:mad:

And ESC we have also seen performers in underclothes and bikini, so child friendly show?

Top Bottom