Contact us

FIFA World Cup 2022

Zerocalcare

I TOTALLY agree with this post!

DID SHE F**KING LIE THOUGH?

Here's my wishlist:

6sfy0n4.png

Do you realize you're rooting for a country that doesn't recognize women's and LGBT rights? It's Qatar that's bad though 😄 Blessed rough thinking. If you want to be revolutionaries, do it seriously and not just to fill your mouth with empty slogans. That's why the world doesn't change. Like every year at the ESC, the boycotters will watch the competition closely and hope their nation wins.

as78

Today we already had the final... Of the national team tournament which is older than World Cup! Baltic Cup - the second oldest national team tournament in Europe and oldest still existing. :is: won :lv: in penalties. They participated as invitees for the first time and won the trophy.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
"Today I feel Qatari. Today I feel Arabic. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel (like) a migrant worker.

"Of course I am not Qatari, I am not an Arab, I am not African, I am not gay, I am not disabled. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a foreigner in a foreign country. As a child I was bullied - because I had red hair and freckles, plus I was Italian, so imagine."

This man is a complete and utter idiot.

I mean, he wasn't wrong in that Western countries should take account and properly apologise for their actions in the past, but that is a whole other issue completely, and to use that as means to push aside the current issues in Qatar is super disingenuous - he doesn't give a damn about any of that. Hes only inflamed the issue now and said a load of bull no one will take serious and made him look a total prat. Maybe if FIFA wasn't such a back handed corrupt organisation then countries like Qatar wouldn't even have been on the list to possibly host, and maybe people would take more serious their wish for the focus to be on sport and not dire human rights issues. It's not just them though, countless famous people, have been paid millions to come in and help whitewash the entire event. We also saw this recently with the new Saudi backed golfing tournement where famous Golfers were paid $10s millions by the Saudis to just take part. Then there is F1 where some very questionable choices for the location of races have been made. Money speaks and it's disgusting, their greed was paid for with peoples lives. The only positive I can see from this is any possible reform coming in their regime, but I highly doubt it.

ShoeFlo

Anybody interested in a World Cup prediction game?

There is a platform called kicktipp in which I created a ESC united group.

Users predict the result of all matches (at first only the matches of group matchday 1).
if you predict the exact result of a match you get 4 points
if you predict the right difference (for example you predicted 2-0 for Team A but it ends 3-1 or 4-2) you get 3 points
if you predict the right tendency (for example you predict Team A to win 3-0 and they win 1-0 or something) you get 2 points

if there are people who like to join tell me your mail address and I will invite you

mauve

Veteran
By the way, don't know if anyone mentioned this, the Japanese goalkeeper's name is "Daniel Schmidt"! :D He has a German father and a Japanese mother, was born in the USA and plays currently in Sint Truiden. Truly intercultural! Somehow missed his name in the past games. :eek:

Charly

world-cup-preview-lead-pic-1200x600.jpg

Injury and team news

Ahmed Alaaeldin (Al-Gharaifa SC) was injured in their play against Albania last week and is questionable for this one. While the remainder of the team is fit to play, Qatar will field a high defensive line, with Hassan Al-Haydos (Al-Sadd SC) hoping to replace Ali Asad (Al-Sadd SC), who will make his 170th appearance.

Ecuador also has only one injury list, as Byron Castillo (Barcelona SC, ECU) was taken off during the friendly encounter and is not included in the 26-man roster. Angelo Preciado (KRC Genk, BEL) or Robert Arboleda (Sao Paulo FC, BRA) are both options at right back. While Sarmiento (Brighton & Hove, ENG) is having his minor muscle problem checked, Gruezo (FC Augsburg, GER), who has a thigh ailment, has been training normally.

Players to watch

Hassan Al-Haydos

One of Qatar’s most tenacious players will lead his squad from the front. Hassan Al-Haydos is one of Qatar’s greatest goal-scorers, and this competition will give him a chance to display his abilities. The 31-year-old possesses all of the characteristics of a striker and will be a threat to Ecuador. His positional play and late box dashes could be an advantage, as he likes to draw defenders out of their position and provide space for his teammate. All eyes will be on him as he prepares for his first World Cup.

Enner Valencia

The Fenerbahce striker will command the attack, and the team will rely on his goal-scoring mastery to help the side find the net. Also, Enner Valencia is Ecuador’s all-time best scorer and he is tied with Agustin Delgado for the leading scorer at the World Cup with three goals. The 33-year-old is a potential danger in the box and will aim to capitalise on any mistakes made by Qatar. He is a high-quality striker who also contributes to team building; Ecuador will expect him to score in all matches.

Win Probablity
Qatar: 27% Draw: 31% Ecuador 42%

Referee: Daniele Orsato (Italy)
Assistant referees:
Ciro Carbone (Italy)
Alessandro Giallatini (Italy)
Fourth official:
István Kovács (Romania)
Reserve assistant referee:
Ovidiu Artene (Romania)
Video assistant referee:
Massimiliano Irrati (Italy)
Assistant video assistant referee:
Paolo Valeri (Italy)
Offside video assistant referee:
Tomasz Listkiewicz (Poland)
Support video assistant referee:
Benoît Millot (France)
Stand-by assistant video assistant referee:
Paweł Sokolnicki (Poland)

Looren

Veteran
Anybody interested in a World Cup prediction game?

There is a platform called kicktipp in which I created a ESC united group.

Users predict the result of all matches (at first only the matches of group matchday 1).
if you predict the exact result of a match you get 4 points
if you predict the right difference (for example you predicted 2-0 for Team A but it ends 3-1 or 4-2) you get 3 points
if you predict the right tendency (for example you predict Team A to win 3-0 and they win 1-0 or something) you get 2 points

if there are people who like to join tell me your mail address and I will invite you

Am on a app that's called "Mon Petit Prono" which has a very interesting system, but this interests me too, gonna send you my mail address in dms

ESC94

By the way, don't know if anyone mentioned this, the Japanese goalkeeper's name is "Daniel Schmidt"! :D He has a German father and a Japanese mother, was born in the USA and plays currently in Sint Truiden. Truly intercultural! Somehow missed his name in the past games. :eek:

That´s not entirely true, his father is an American with German roots.

Looren

Veteran
Opening game today, tbh result wise I could see it go either way, let's not forget Qatar is Asian champion, and Ecuador is strong

Anyway I think am supporting :ec: for this game

Looren

Veteran
ethnicity =/= nationality

Yeah this, I don't have Moroccan nationality (I have Belgian one) but am born and raised here and my mom is Moroccan so am proud to call myself both Belgian and Moroccan (even more Moroccan than Belgian)

mauve

Veteran
So starting today, my prediction for each group who will win the groups (with some bold predictions, otherwise it would be boring):

Group A
1. Senegal 2. Netherlands 3.Ecuador 4. Qatar

Group B
1. USA 2. England 3. Iran 4. Wales

Group C
1. Argentinia 2. Poland 3. Mexico 4. Saudi Arabia

Group D
1. France 2. Denmark 3. Australia 4. Tunisia

Group E
1. Japan 2. Germany 3. Spain 4. Costa Rica

Group F
1. Croatia 2. Morocco 3. Belgium 4. Canada

Group G
1. Brazil 2. Switzerland 3. Cameroon 4. Serbia

Group H
1. Portual 2. Uruguay 3. Ghana 4. Korea Republic

Shockingly out Spain and Belgium, Japan and Morocco in for me. Let's see what happens. :D

mauve

Veteran
Yeah this, I don't have Moroccan nationality (I have Belgian one) but am born and raised here and my mom is Moroccan so am proud to call myself both Belgian and Moroccan (even more Moroccan than Belgian)
And I am 3/4 German and 1/4 Japanese. Lived 17 years in Japan (grew up there) and now live in Germany for 25 years. No idea what I call myself. :LOL:

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
And now?? My father was from :pl: but I would never call myself a Pole. xshrug

You can´t change your ethnicity.

One culture might be more dominating based on your upbringing and surroundings but ethnically speaking, you´re half-Polish if you father was Polish. It´s a different case when he was of German/Silesian ethnicity, though.

I just referred to your comment that it´s not "entirely true" that Daniel Schmidt´s father was German.
@mauve as well as articles might have referred to his ethnicity.

Gérard Depardieu got Russian citizenship and a Russian passport - He´s still French (based on his ethnicity) and thus, Daniel Schmidt´s father can still be both - US American (by citizenship) and German (by ethnictiy) - some media outlets also wrote that his father is of German nationality. Nationality is inherited by one´s person - "how one does identify herself/himself or what kind of passport you get" is irrelevant here.

Anyway, I think it´s some interesting piece of information that a Japanese player is of German descent. Thanks for sharing @mauve

Top Bottom