denmark-flag.gif

afil2.jpg

Performed by: A Friend In London
Lyrics by: Lise Cabble & Jakob Glæsner
Composed by: Lise Cabble & Jakob Glæsner
Language: English

94ayd

Re: DANMARK - Denmark 2011

Just read that the Danes have a disgusting rule that states people can perform their songs in whetever language they want at the NF but are obliged, in the event of a win, to translate the lyrics to English... :evil: SOMEBODY TELL 'EM TO GET RID OF THAT.

Anjeza

Really? This is hilarious.

By the way, Aura Dione anyone?

Jukica

(Retired) Admin

I'd like to see Infernal on ESC :D

AlekS

Veteran

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2011 kicks off

dmgp2011white_0.thumbnail.jpg

http://www.eurovisionary.com/eurovision ... 2011-kicks

- The rules are the same as last year. Foreign songwriters are allowed as long as the singers are Danish. Foreign singers are allowed if the songwriters are Danish. A committee at DR will select six of the submitted songs for the national final, the Danish Melodi Grand Prix, plus a couple of reserve ones in case of any disqualification. Four songwriters will be specially invited to write a song for the Contest on a so-called wild card making a total of 10 songs participating in the national selection.

- Once a song has been selected for the national final DR and the composer of the song will talk about possible performers. In case of any disagreement DR’s suggestion as to who shall sing the song is valid.

- You can submit your entry in any language you want to, but should you win the Dansk Melodi Grand Prix the language for the Eurovision Song Contest will be decided in collaboration between composer and DR.

- The deadline to submit entries is the 27th of September at 12:00.

RULES: http://www.dr.dk/NR/rdonlyres/001e656b/ ... es2011.pdf

not any single word about dates. Just something about choosing soloists. I assume it will start in December or January.

No Name

94ayd said:
So, it's not 100% sure it's gonna be in English, had the song been initially in Danish. ;)

Read between the lines.

DR would never accept an entry in Danish for ESC (unfortunately).

If you have followed our previous NF's you will know for sure that the song is 100% gonna be in English despite being performed in Danish for Dansk Melodigrandprix.

2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005. All of these songs were performed in Danish for the National final but were changed for Eurovision. 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 were performed in English for the NF so obviously no changes were done here. Do you see a pattern? ;)

Welcome to little Britain.

No Name

Regarding dates, I suppose it will be around the end of January/start of February.

Cole

I think its time for a Danish win!

Send a song like this:

Jukica

(Retired) Admin

I hope for another good entry from Denmark :D

American Andy

I dislike the fact DR has this rule, but SVT and NRK have similar rules. The last time a Nordic language (Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic -- Finnish belongs to a different language family) was entered was in 2006 - Alvedanses from Norway. The last time one finished in the Top Ten - 1998 (also Norway) Alltid Sommer. I said that to say, all four countries seem to be incredibly reluctant to send their own language. As much as we dislike this, they have a bit of a point. The Nordic languages are not spoken outside of their own countries, and are not readily understood anywhere else, unlike some of the other languages which make annual appearances at the ESC (English, French, Russian, SerboCroatian). Look at other countries that use "fringe" languages, Andorra, Netherlands, Portugal, Albania, Cyprus - all seem to not do so well when using national languages. Only Greece and Israel seem to be immune from using languages that are virtually uninterpretable to residents of other countries in the Contest. There are a few times when fringe languages have done well during the years without the open-language rule (Estonia 2009 comes to mind) but these are few and far between.

All of this to say, while we disagree with and are saddened by the fact that Danes, Swedes, Norwegians, and Icelanders shy away from using their own languages at ESC, they are acting in a manner that has demonstrated more success than not.

Regarding the Danish representatives for 2011 - I want SukkerChok to finally win DMGP - I hope the third time is the charm for those ladies.

Last edited:

ParadiseES

I think the problem is they don't really try to send a song in their language. If someones tries with a really good song in Danish, I don't think there would be a problem and Denmark seems to be the Nordic country which uses more their own language in its music, am I right?

94ayd

They've done well in the past, why shouldn't they do that nowadays, as well? All Denmark, Sweden & Norway have won with a song in their own respective language and Iceland has come 4th. And they all sound so amazing...

American Andy

I think Danish is used a lot in regular pop music. However, I think it is also worth mentioning that most Danes don't believe a song in Danish will succeed; it's almost like a national inferiority complex. I agree, a strong song will do well, even if in Danish. The only issue is, a decent song will only succeed if in English (or at least, that's their perception).

Schlagerman1

Well since Denmark had a really old-fashioned Schlager-song, I wouldn't be surprised if they go for an another one...but I would like to see them surprise us with something very different or at least a modern pop song, that could do well for them! :)

evilperson

^Yes I feel like there is a disconnect from the NF and their current music scene. More modern music is needed! Although I have enjoyed that past two years of their NF. :)

No Name

^Yes I feel like there is a disconnect from the NF and their current music scene. More modern music is needed! Although I have enjoyed that past two years of their NF. :)

Probably because we're one of the old countries. ESC has for a long time been looked upon as something uncool and old-fashioned, and many of our top-artists think the same. Many western countries suffer from this (maybe except Sweden). That is why our NF's and our ESC-entries will never ever reflect our music-scene as it is, which is extremely sad.

As it looks right now ESC in Denmark mainly appeals to semi-known (or completely unknown) artists. It's worth mentioning though that Melodirgrandprix has developed massively throughout the last two years. More artists (not the biggest ones) show interest in participating. However, 2010 proved that the general Danish ESC-viewer, whose average age I guess is still about 40+, did not want any changes. Same ol' schlager won. :lol:

DR needs to think out of the box and appeal more to the younger generation like many other countries do. No matter how many great artists participate the same kind of song will always win. :lol:

Top Bottom