Contact us

Australia AUSTRALIA 2024 - Electric Fields - One Milkali (One Blood)

How do you rate this entry?

5 4.0%

4 3.2%

9 7.3%

13 10.5%

10 8.1%

20 16.1%

18 14.5%

17 13.7%

13 10.5%

4 3.2%

11 8.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Preuss

If they kill the live performance like Voyager with equal or better staging they'll be fine. Like has been said this is radio friendly, with light indigenous influences so shouldn't turn off juries. But yeah I kinda miss when we were super competitive, you could tell with Kate and Dami we really wanted to win. Now it seems like we're going for middle of the road, top ten at best. Sony really wanted the win with Dami, and I think Dami not being able to pull it over the line and the expense of staging etc they weren't able to justify the expense or maintain the same level which showed with Isaiah and Jess.

I mean, I’m pretty sure Sony covered the expenses of Isaiah and Jess, the creative staging direction SBS went for just wasn’t great

Iker

Veteran
Thought about this a bit more and I can now see the following happening: on last in the semi final, a BIG performance that gets the arena going, qualification, then on early in the final (if it draws 1st half), then poor televote and jury support.

Basically the journey that Czechia had with Lights Off in 2022.

Comparing this lacklustre song with Lights Off is disrespectful though in my book. Lights Off is a total banger IMHO.

SpiritofKeiino

Comparing this lacklustre song with Lights Off is disrespectful though in my book. Lights Off is a total banger IMHO.
I agree Lights Off is a much better song than One Milkali. I was thinking more of the kind of atmosphere that Electric Fields need to create in the arena at that point in the show

ESC94

Today it was time for :au: at the ESC kompakt songchecks 2024.

The verdict of the bloggers:

Benny - I had to get warm with the song first, meanwhile I like it a lot though. Nevertheless I expected and hoped for more from the Electric Fields. Live they´ll elevate it to a much higher level though. :7:

Berenike - How cool, now we´ll also hear a didgeridoo at the ESC!! I like the very concise voice of Zaachariaha Fielding that is absolutely in the foreground despite the many soundtracks and the energy the song has inside of it. The production maybe could´ve been a bit more diverse, but it´s a very nice rhythmic electro track. :7:

Douze Points - Very likable entry from Down Under, who brings us back to the 80s on a rhythmical level. The didgeridoo is wonderfully incorporated. In the a bit of drive and variety is missing. :7:

Flo - To be completely honest: "One Milkali (One Blood) is one of the entries that disappointed me this year. Cause Electric Fields would´ve deserved a success at the ESC after their seconds place at "Australia Decides".But with this song it´s quite a challenge they have to drill live. The song is missing lacks any suspense, after lit
:4:

Manu - Of course I'm happy that Electric Fields have finally come to the ESC. “One Milkali” doesn’t pack as much of an instrumental punch as “2000 and Whatever” did. But for me the post feels like a joyful hug full of love, good vibes and lots of sunshine. It probably would have made sense if the Australian electro-pop trio PNAU had put the finishing touches on the song again; But even so, I hope that Electric Fields can “rain love” in the ESC final. :10:

Max - The song sadly doesn´t suit my taste. It may not be a bad song, I absolutely appreciate the sound mix that (finally) puts the Australian digeridoo into the spotlight. But the song doesn´t really get me and I have to admit that I consequently skip it when it appears on my playlist. Sorry Australia. :2:

Peter - There is so much to be said for “One Milkali”, especially that Aboriginal culture is celebrated and the contribution is partly presented in Yankunytjatjara. I'm delighted for Electric Fields that they were nominated straight after they had already earned epaulettes in "Australia decides". I like the groove and the catchy melody and the lyrics are likeable, and vocally it's also immediately stimulating. :12:

Rick - I really can't understand the skepticism many fans have about "One Milkali (One Blood)". There are probably still too many people comparing the number with “2000 And Whatever”, which is always nonsense when it comes to the chances of success of an ESC song, since the average viewer doesn't even have that comparison. In any case, I find the contribution fascinating, both musically and lyrically. The spiritual message of equality for all people really resonates with me. I also love the authenticity of the number and with electropop you're always in the right place for me anyway. Cool entry! :10:

Last edited:

Fluke

So, why is there no live performance yet? Any words on it?

Neely

They definitely need to get a performance video out at some point. The promo video of them just sitting down looking at the camera seems to subconsciously slow the song down and do it a huge disservice.

SpiritofKeiino

I really believe it's gonna qualify unless the staging is shite and perhaps do quite well in the final depending on the field, top 15 I think would be a good result for this
I think it may qualify with a decent staging and a high energy performance. I still think it's borderline Q/NQ, but there is hope for it - unlike the likes of Iceland which I feel has no hope of Q.

In the final, I dunno...I can see it getting lost.

ESC94

I think it may qualify with a decent staging and a high energy performance. I still think it's borderline Q/NQ, but there is hope for it - unlike the likes of Iceland which I feel has no hope of Q.

In the final, I dunno...I can see it getting lost.

Even if they make it to the final they´ll get the usual slap in the face from the televoters.

Realest

Well...

GKf2kbkWkAAJ1A4

DonHamstre

The low budget video is what makes me most excited about what this act will look like in practice. It leaves a blank slate for the act, and there's so many fun ways it could go!
Overall I think it might be a bit too difficult for an indigenous non-European act to get the votes unfortunately.

jatojo

I keep hearing "Rollin' In The Deep" in the beginning of the chorus.

theditz83

Veteran
I have a funny feeling this one might be the most underrated entry of the year by the fan community. I don't quite expect the same sort of result, but I expect a similar change in people's opinions following the rehearsals that Cyprus 2018 got.

Top Bottom