7 3.7%

8 4.3%

8 4.3%

24 12.8%

• Total voters

midnightsun

Veteran
Song is quite catchy but her moves don't look aesthetically pleasing

This. (Cascada failed the same way in 2013... bad dress and that ungainly stamping).
Also, she screamed too much. Countries get punished for that. See Israel 2014, Azerbaijan 2015, Latvia 2016 etc. even Dami almost ruined the really good song and performance at the end with that screaming.

Preuss

two weeks after the grand final i still struggle to understand why they didn't show the drum parts + hight note + pyro during recap...? not that i think it would've changed much but still

mauve

Veteran

Mainshow

Veteran
8 pts - catchy, well-produced feel good anthem. Sadly, the performance wasn't impressive at all. Who did come up with that horrible dress? - Should be fired ASAP

Preuss

Okay, I've been kinda mad that they staged "We Got Love" so averagely considering the potential it had for staging, but earlier today I actually heard in a press conference with Paul Clarke that they had several other plans how to stage their entry, but all of them got rejected because other countries were doing a too similar act. The press conference is on wiwibloggs. Conveniently I stumbled across a video where Jessica had no clue how her staging was gonna be before entering Lisbon. So I've always been mad because of the whole concept with their staging they had, but add all of this and then it sounds incredible amateurish from the Australian delegation to me... xboring

So I'm not sure whether the staging they had at the end even were their plan C or D... xfacepalm

ESC94

Let´s continue with my reviews of the ESC entries 2018. Now it´s :au: turn.

After their great debut with "Tonight Again" in 2015, I expected a lot from them, but already "Sound of Silence" in the year after was only ok in my opinion, and "Don´t Come Easy" was super boring and really flopped deservedly in the televote. I really hoped that they learned a lesson from this and sending something more interesting before finally turning into :dk: 2.0. Well, sadly all my hopes were crushed when they revealed the artist and song. :(

In Lisbon they were represented by Jessica Mauboy and her song "We Got Love". She was already a familiar face to many ESC fans, as she performed as an interval act in Copenhagen 2014. But to be honest even back then I wasn´t a fan of her, and this didn´t change all that much four years later. Her song "We Got Love" was basically a collection of the most banal calendar claims and full of stale clichés we´ve already heard a million times (don´t give up cause we got love). The melody was also very uninteresting and without a real climax in my opinion, and the sound of her voice was also not my cup of tea at all.(n)

I expected the worst since :au: was pretty overrated by the jurys the years before and because many people like this kind of boring dance tracks. But fortunately my fears didn´t came true, because Jessica completely butchered her performances. Her voice sounded so bad it hurt my ears, the outfit looked terrible and reminded me more of a purple coloured trash bag and her plea to the audience to sing along in the chorus gave the performance a very amateurish feeling and reminded me of this awkward entertaining programs you see as a tourist in holiday resorts for example in :gr: and :es:. When she started to make this weird "rain dance" I was completely out, it just looked random and misplaced. :lol:

In the end :au: bombed the second year in a row in the televote, finishing last with just nine points, and even the jurys were much more reserved towards them, giving them 90 points. In the end they finished 20th, by far their worst result to date.

All in all this disaster was completely deserved and showed that the euphoria towards :au: completely died off. They had to learn that simply being :au: doesn´t result in a good placement, a "little bit" of musical substance is still needed. In the end I gave this boring radio dance track :1:, there were a few worse songs that year, but so far this is my least favourite entry from Down Under. xhelp

Last edited:
Top Bottom