Contact us

Australia AUSTRALIA 2024 - Electric Fields - One Milkali (One Blood)

How do you rate this entry?

5 4.0%

4 3.2%

9 7.3%

13 10.5%

10 8.1%

20 16.1%

18 14.5%

17 13.7%

13 10.5%

4 3.2%

11 8.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

SpiritofKeiino

Yeah I don't think Aus are safe. I forgot that 2000 and Whatever kind of... had no staging. Zaachariaha can sell it somewhat with a good performance but if the whole thing looks cheap in the same way the official vid is cheap...

Qualifying should be possible though - I'm pretty sure Ireland, Moldova, Azerbaijan and Iceland are 100% dead. Who the fuck knows the final NQ is between Australia, Luxembourg, Slovenia or Cyprus.
Curious why lots of people seem to now think Ireland is NQ or borderline Q?

Not being defensive as it's my home country - just curious. It got a good reaction when released

Preuss

Idk it’s nice and all of that but it doesn’t feel very competitive as of now

I said the same thing last year about Voyager and they proved me wrong…

Idk what to think, Australia used to be so good back in the days

Preuss

you gotta have faith in SBS that they’re gonna deliver a good staging again cause they need it even to qualify

Fluke

Aite, so it's back to the "bad Australia" again. Incredibly generic and uninspired feel to this. The ambitions might be honest, but it feels so incredibly artificial and empty to me. Could this possibly even be a NQ for them? I can't see how a great performance could lift this very much, there's just not enough to work with here.

Preuss

I wish they came with something more similar like 2000 and Whatever…

Like how Dadi Freyr served us 10 years after Think About Things - similar yet not the same entry

Sammy

Veteran
When I read it would be Electric fields I was over the moon. But this one is a bit underwhelming. Still I gave it :8: for the moment.

AliceEsc

:6: for now. Knowing that they are capable of something like 2000 and whatever, this is kinda underwhelming. Still good and I think live it can come to life.

ayzelto

Nothing else to add apart from what I've read here... Not the worst of the season but I can't say I like it either. 3 points.

ZoboCamel

Aww. I was excited by the Electric Fields rumours, but does nothing for me. The didgeridoo sounds and vocals are nice, I guess, but the melody, the production, the lyrics, the structure... they kind of all feel either flat or bad.

Giving this a :3: for now - which puts it somewhere in my bottom 5. Pretty sure it'll end up as my least favourite Australian entry since our debut, too (I haven't flat out loved most of our entries but I've generally had them around or above midtable. Like, 7-pointers or something). Bit sad, really :( And I think we're well on track to an NQ too. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by the live performance?

SpiritofKeiino

Might be more interesting if Aboriginal elements are brought to the stage. For now, not convinced this is qualifying.

Decayingbooks

Not being defensive as it's my home country - just curious. It got a good reaction when released
I think it's due to the songs that have been selected for semi 1 since then, Serbia and Slovenia have a similar witchy-vibe and Croatia and Finland could be competing directly with the same public as Ireland.

Loindici

Veteran
It's supposed to be a beautiful showcase of culture. The didgeridoo is there. There is a new word we're learning. The spices are good choices, really.

The main ingredients are a mess. It doesn't have the sense of melody or the strong hooks. That kissing part would be a good gimmick, but it could be cringe-worthy seeing it live.

Giving it :2:. For someone pretty generous with his ratings, this is the first time I didn't vibe with an entry.

Loindici

Veteran
I think it's due to the songs that have been selected for semi 1 since then, Serbia and Slovenia have a similar witchy-vibe and Croatia and Finland could be competing directly with the same public as Ireland.
The only direct competitor to Ireland would be Croatia. Teya and Raiven are in their own circle vibe- and music-wise.

han-g

Yeah I don't think Aus are safe. I forgot that 2000 and Whatever kind of... had no staging. Zaachariaha can sell it somewhat with a good performance but if the whole thing looks cheap in the same way the official vid is cheap...

Qualifying should be possible though - I'm pretty sure Ireland, Moldova, Azerbaijan and Iceland are 100% dead. Who the fuck knows the final NQ is between Australia, Luxembourg, Slovenia or Cyprus.
I wouldn't rule out Moldova's ability to turn a song around and judging the Azeri song before we've even heard either still in the running in full with good sound is a bit much.

Iker

Veteran
An intriguing song, not superb but good. I like the general sound of it more than the melody itself. From me 7 points in the poll. The MV was quite uncomfortable to watch lol. My dirty mind started associating two naked silhouettes and those blissful facial expressions with some intimate activities that most of us do but not a lot of us don't admit to doing. xD

I like this song more than 2000 and whatever. I never understood what people saw in that specific one, I listened to it many times and still had a hard time recalling the song.*

It's possible though that I confuse this song with another that was close to becoming an Australian entry in the past so planning to listen to that song soon.

Last edited:

han-g

Whilst they are completely different songs I get a Serbia 2023 vibe from it. I don't think casuals will like it all that much leaving the Irish diaspora and fans to vote for it. Serbia got lucky, Ireland might get the same.

ZoboCamel

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, it has some slight competition/overlap with other entries in the semi (Croatia as something loud and weird, Slovenia as something witchy), Ireland's struggled a lot recently, those sorts of "aggressive" acts/staging have often struggled to get votes, and the first half of SF1 is stacked.

This is coming from someone who loves the Irish entry, mind you - it's part of like a seven-way tie for my first place this year - but yeah, I don't think it's a safe Q. I'd still say it's more likely in than out (I've got it at about a 70% Q atm), but that first half of the semi is just incredibly stacked; something has to miss out. Six songs can Q from the first half of a semi on rare occasion, but I don't think we've ever seen seven from the first half (especially when the first half only has seven songs). So it seems like a weird situation where Poland, Cyprus, Ireland and Serbia are all more likely to Q than NQ, but it's like a 65-80% chance for each, and one or two of them will have to miss out (assuming here that Croatia, Ukraine and Lithuania are safe).

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Australia can and have done far far better than this. It's not bad, but it's not good either. Some of the elements in the melody are pleasant enough but, lyrically and structurally it's just so nondescript and extremely flat. It's got songwriting camp for BBC Eurovision: You Decide written all over it, and no amount of didgeridoo can fix that. It's not memorable much at all, and if it wasn't for the fact that Australia are more often than not solid at staging i'd have this as heading straight for NQ. They're probably gonna wish the juries exist in the semis. Extremely disappointing from Australia, but also especially from Electric Fields. :3:

Top Bottom