Latvia held the first semi-final in its national selection, Dziesmas 2014, this evening. The competition had a total 12 songs, with six qualifying for the final on February 22nd. The top six songs were based on both a public and jury vote.
This year’s national selection has two notable features. First, the theme is “Made in Latvia” so all songs are by Latvian citizens. And second, LTV (Latvia’s national broadcaster) allowed the public to vote online, as well as by phone or text. This is the first time Latvia has allowed online voting.
The six advancing songs are listed below. You can listen to all of the songs on LTV’s website.
- Saule Riet – Olga and Līgo
- Stay – Samantha Tīna
- Cake to Bake – Aarzemnieki
- I Can Breathe – Aminata Savadogo
- Going All the Way – MyRadiantU
- Here I am Again – Niko
These songs did not qualify for the semi-finals:
- Dejo Tā – DJ Dween and Sabīne Berezina
- Bučas – Crazy Dolls
- I’m Happy – Tamara Rutkovska
- I’ve Got – Ivo Grīsniņš Grīslis
- Just Stop – Oskars Deigelis
- I Need More – Dāvis Matskins
Latvia’s second semi-final will be on Sunday, February 2nd and can be watched live on www.eirovizija.lv. The second semi-final will also select six songs for the final out of the following 12 songs:
- Revelation – Ralfs Eilands & Valters Pūce
- You are the Reason – Katrine Lukins
- I Need a Soul-twin – Mad Show Boys
- Lights on – Markus Riva
- Breathe Slow – Anete Volmane
- What if it was – U.K.
- Moment and Tomorrow – Katrīna Bindere
- Pa vidu Tu – Andris Kivičs,
- Pēdējā vēstule – Dons
- Is it Possible – Sabīne Vidriķe
- If I Could (Get Away) – Eirošmits
Stay tuned tomorrow for the results of the second semi-final!
What do you think of the six advancing songs? Do you have a favorite for Copenhagen?