RTP – Portugal’s public broadcaster – has now revealed the names of the ten participants in this year’s Festival da Cançao.
Earlier this month the Portuguese broadcaster had published the shortlist with the names of the composers. Yesterday the organisers of the event announced the list with the interpreters and their songs during a press conference in RTP’s headquarters. The allocation draw was also held and each song was given a specific slot in the semi-final.
Here is a list with the songs, the interpreters and the running order along with an English translation for each title:
1. Mea Culpa (My Blame) – Catarina Pereira
2. Eu Vou ( I go) – Ivo Lucas
3. Nas Asas da Sorte (In the wings of luck) – Zana
4. Mais para dar (More to give) – Carla Ribeiro
5. Emoção (Emotion) – Ricardo Afonso
6. Ao Teu Encontro (In your encounter) – Rui Andrade
7. O Teu Segredo (Your secret) – Lara Afonso
8.Sonhos Roubados (Stolen Dreams) – Raquel Guerra
9. Coração de Filigrana (Filigree Heart)- Madalena Trabuco
10. Quero ser tua (como a lua é do luar) (I wanna be yours – like the moon belongs to the moonlight) – Susy
These songs will be presented to the Portuguese audience during a semi-final to be hosted in Lisbon’s “Convento Do Beato” on March the 8th. All 10 entrants will fight for a place in the final but eventually only five of them will make it to the last show.The Portuguese televote is expected to choose its entry on March the 15th – which is the date RTP has set for the grand final of the 2014 edition of Festival da Cançao.
This year also marks the 50th anniversary of the show – which remains to the present day one of Portugal’s best known musical events and has traditionally been used as the selection method for the contest. On occasion of the anniversary, the whole concept of the shows will be dedicated to the history of the festival.