Contact us

Would anyone like the language rule back?

paddyirl

I would, there is too much english in ESC, I love hearing songs in other languages but apart from Molitva they haven't won.

Some do well but I wish all countries had the songs in one of their official languages. I also don't believe it gives UK, Ireland or Malta an advantage because the Yugoslavian states and the former USSR would have some knowledge of each others languages.

No - everyone should have the right to choose which language they are going to perform in. Personally, I much prefer English songs because I can't relate to a song in a language I don't understand - maybe that's why I hated Molitva so much apart from my dislike of Maria.

AlekS

Veteran
^ ditto. Except not relating to a song in a different language :lol:
Uhm, also I'm against nationality rule. I don't think that it's fair when people who have different nationalities except Ukrainian (for instance) are prohibited to enter our NF. Even mixed duos ...
btw, we had a language rule for few latest NFs (English or Ukrainian). I think that people should be allowed to perform what they like and it shouldn't depend of language and nationality. It's a form of nationalism imo, not a good one. Freedom of expression would be my choice.

I think that there should be a least 1 person on stage to be of the nationality of the country they are representing even if it is just a backing-vocalist.

paddyirl

Some of my favourite songs have not been in english, Like Portugal this year. Russia when tAtU entered, Anabel Conde for Spain, Tacji and Bebi Dol for Yugoslavia, Dana International, Shiri Maimon's full Hebrew version of Hashkent Shenishar, Carola with Fangagd av en Stormvind.

If Ana Nikolic won Beovijiza that would have been my fave, I probably have preferred the non english entries over the years.

Europe is a diverse continent not just English speaking, it makes the competition too much about just winning.

I think the nationality is more irrelevant than the language tbh, like with nationality Celiene Dion could never have entered. Kristina Zahalova would have been better for Ireland than Sinead Mulvey.

Scooby

And I wish more songs in native languages!!!!
Language is not an obstacle to enjoy the song.

ithanspain

I don't want a rule, but it would be much better that at less a half of the countries sing in their own languages. It's sure that for people is more easy to understand a song in English, but if a song is well written, sing and performed it doesn't matter in which language is sing cause you will feel the song.

Personally when I like a song in a native language, I try to find the translation. I will feel more represented by a song in Spanish than in English, cause the language could be an important fact at the interpretion of the artist.

(i can't put smilies :( ...)

panakos

Banned
AlekS said:
^ ditto. Except not relating to a song in a different language :lol:
Uhm, also I'm against nationality rule. I don't think that it's fair when people who have different nationalities except Ukrainian (for instance) are prohibited to enter our NF. Even mixed duos ...
btw, we had a language rule for few latest NFs (English or Ukrainian). I think that people should be allowed to perform what they like and it shouldn't depend of language and nationality. It's a form of nationalism imo, not a good one. Freedom of expression would be my choice.
Well, you know the reason for it. They don't want Russian songs. :evil:

AlekS

Veteran
^ As appeared they didn't want Ukrainian songs too. The ONLY Ukrainian song that had to take part in the NF was disqualified :|
They didn't like the fact that Kirkorov was saying that Ani's 2nd place was Russian 2nd place too :lol: Despite the fact that the song was written by Greek composer, decorations were made by Serbians, the tour was promoted by Georgian, her Turkish husband co-sponsored her entry, there was a Swedish dancer in her team and Ukrainian director shot the video.
There was a personal conflict between Kirkorov and NTU and knowing NTU's bosses they would never colalborate with someone. They want to take all credits and promote their company in order to get more money from the budget when in fact NTU sucks.
They think that only songs in English have the biggest chance to finish high (yep, Loboda proved it wrong obviously).
They are tied (go figure) with native producers who were invited in the jury last time and all of them were pro-Ukrainian.
I'm afraid that even after elections nothing changes, nobody will be fired and people from abroad (esp Russia, Moldova, Belarus) should rest easy. Only Ukrainian citizenship allows you to participate in the selection.
But there's a hope still ... they want to look good after all those scandals with Pryhod'ko so maybe they would change rules.

panakos

Banned
well it's silly
this year in their own contest Russia sang in Ukrainian! It's a sign of peace. NTU's board shouldn't be that cocky!

AlekS

Veteran
^ it wasn't a sign of peace.
ORT just wanted to show Europe that Russia is friends with Ukraine when in fact they continued being cocky... NOTHING changed from the Russian side.

Pryhod'ko is FAVE singer of ORT's president. She won their last Star Factory, it wasn't a big shock that she was chosen.
+ judging from the selection material Pryhod'ko was the best choice for Russia because it was quite clear that Russia won't win it again and it won't be in the top-5, big stars (except Valeriya who wanted to PR herself, she was invited just to make the NF brighter) refused from participating. Other's quality was so low, zomg :lol: Ukrainain and Russian NFs were SO similar in terms of quality, also they were hosted almost in the same day so we had opportunity to compare, lol.
It was clear from the beginning that ORT was not interested in the high place.

Pryhod'ko came back to Ukraine and announced that she will never become Russian citizen and that she wants to participate again... representing Ukraine :lol: She lives here, she will bear her baby here, she chose her home.

One more thing. It was rather producer's conflict.
Pryhod'ko was supported by ex-boss of ESC department Alyona Mozgova... needleess to say that this ex-director is hated by NTU bosses very much. Mozgova's ex-husband was in the jury, go figure.

Russian press was exploded by this desire to send Pryhod'ko from Russia... I wish you could read ALL the dirty articles from the main media. She was attacked in Russia.
Meladze (who lives in Ukraine btw) took her to Kyiv far away from this hunt so she wasn't even preparing in Russia.
oh, and ORT continues slamming Ukraine in their news every day )))

btw, we could be represented by Russian-Ukrainian singer Alexander Panaiotov... if only his song wasn't so obvious copy of Womanizer :lol: He came 2nd in the final.

Muireanne

I like the idea... but it'll be an advantage for some and a curse for others.

IF this rule should get back into place... I suggest the UK gets an own rule in which is stated they have to keep a change in languages (otherwise they'll be the only ones taking benefit of the English language)... same goes for Ireland btw (one year in English, the next in Gaelic, then in English again, ... etcetera ;) ).

It would certainly be a much more interesting show to watch (I guess... I'm only looking back to the years when this actually was a rule to the contest off course).

paddyirl

Well then all countries should have to alternate.

I don't believe that English or French would really overwhelmingly benefit those countries.

Gerly

I dont know... I dont care that much

Muireanne

paddyirl said:

I don't believe that English or French would really overwhelmingly benefit those countries.

I think it does... certainly when you know that almost half (if not even more) of the songs in an ESC are sung in English (or something that's supposed to be English).
Off course... there have been winners over the years sung in other languages. But even when we take only the past 10 years under consideration that's only a minority.

2007: Serbian
all others were in English!

You can't force people to sing in a certain language - it should be a free choice. :)

paddyirl

Muireanne said:
paddyirl said:

I think it does... certainly when you know that almost half (if not even more) of the songs in an ESC are sung in English (or something that's supposed to be English).
Off course... there have been winners over the years sung in other languages. But even when we take only the past 10 years under consideration that's only a minority.

2007: Serbian
all others were in English!
But in theory more people would understand or have some knowledge of the slavic languages.

Also what language other than English would UK sing in, Welsh??? That would be controversial since the majority of the people aren't even Welsh in the UK. Scots Gaelic is non existant so it would be pointless to sing in that and the BBC wouldn't want it to be capitalized by the SNP.

Portugal has done well in recent years with Portugese songs, beating dozens of English ones, looking at the winner's songs alone is taking a narrow view of the contest. One example of a song that is awful in English is the Vraz naj Zame (Sp) as Heavy Weather which sounded awful. Also I don't think if Hashkent Shenishar was sung soley in Hebrew its placement would have been effected.

I don't care if I don't understand the words, and I don't see why people need to.

Top Bottom