Contact us

Which countries would struggle to host in their own country?

SpiritofKeiino

San Marino - obvious reasons - no arena, large cost and effort for a tiny broadcaster

I am guessing Malta has a suitable venue if not an arena, as they were all ready to host in 2022 after putting a huge effort into trying to win in 2021.

Do Cyprus and Iceland have suitable venues?
What about Montenegro?

Are there other countries who would possibly refuse to host on financial grounds?

rasmuslights

Veteran
San Marino - obvious reasons - no arena, large cost and effort for a tiny broadcaster

I am guessing Malta has a suitable venue if not an arena, as they were all ready to host in 2022 after putting a huge effort into trying to win in 2021.

Do Cyprus and Iceland have suitable venues?
What about Montenegro?

Are there other countries who would possibly refuse to host on financial grounds?

I honestly think no country would refuse to host since one doesn't win eurovision very often (except if you are Sweden or Ukraine)

Iceland actually has a rather big arena: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egilshöll

Cyprus has an arena that will be expanded in 2025 - a capacity of around 10.000

Not sure about Montenegro though.

JenJen94

You said Cyprus-makes me wonder if Eleni won in Lisbon, where on earth they would have hosted it! It would have been small a la Tel Aviv for sure. At least they have that arena coming for that.

I would absolutely love Iceland to win someday and would be interested to see how they could host it-I remember reading a study about how it would be possible for Iceland to host it-and it was suggested that the Egilshöll could do it (as the above poster stated), which can hold up to 18,000 people!

Mainshow

Veteran
An ESC in :is: would be a pretty expensive experience for fans though, especially when you´re hungry.

Lunch at Hard Rock Café and instant noodles and cheap salads from the supermarket are the way to go to (somehow survive in Iceland) :D

Mainshow

Veteran
I can get this in discounters here in :de: as well, don´t need to fly to :is: for that. :LOL:

IF you end up being in Iceland somehow (travelling or ESC), you still need to eat and if you don´t want to pay 50€ for two tapas items, you will be thankful for being able to find some instant noodles at a supermarket :D

Funix

You said Cyprus-makes me wonder if Eleni won in Lisbon, where on earth they would have hosted it! It would have been small a la Tel Aviv for sure. At least they have that arena coming for that.

I would absolutely love Iceland to win someday and would be interested to see how they could host it-I remember reading a study about how it would be possible for Iceland to host it-and it was suggested that the Egilshöll could do it (as the above poster stated), which can hold up to 18,000 people!
Maybe they will take the same approach that Denmark in 2014 did, with a bigger renovation of, in this case, a big old ship-yard to make a arena. Early in the process, there was actually a proposal to host ESC 2014 in a big tent in front of DR head-quaters to keep down cost, but luckily that was turned down.

Ezio

Veteran
I think Austria would struggle to cut the opening sequence shorter than 10 minutes. It's more likely than 25 fans not surviving the Vienna metro.

ag89

Sorry for many pics!

Somebody asked about Montenegro: their largest indoor hall is called Morača, in Podgorica. It can bring from 3.000 to 5.700 people, depending on the event. I think this is enough for a decent tv show.

1661328894-MORACA-DVORANA-750x563.jpg

Unfortunately, the only country in the region that would really struggle, capacity wise, is Albania: there is literally no indoor sport's hall to hold such an event. However, they might have some former industry complexes to host it, like Denmark in 2014.

Other countries would be able to host it: Bosnia has at least two halls with capacity 6000+, both in Sarajevo. One is Olympic Hall Zetra (it hosted closing ceremony during Winter Olympic Games in 1984.). The capacity is from 7.000 to 15.000, depending on the event (it has a big floor area and it is currently missing big portion of seating, but that is easy to solve):

e73a14_70e74bf0db334ef79f5a7b49e35bc010~mv2.jpg

IMG-20231029-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20231029-WA0024.jpg

Zetra during Marija Šerifović concert (app 16.000 people were there)

marija_serifovic_zetra2.jpg

The other one is Skenderija, 6.000 to 8.000, but this one need a serious reconstruction so I don't think it would host

bihengleska_014.jpg

So, now we just have to return and win...

North Macedonia has a very decent sport's hall: capacity 6.000 to 8.000

hu8yamshykoidcqrpzvq.jpg

Moldova built a nice but relatively small hall at the outskirts of Chisinau.

I think it would be enough for Eurovision

concert-okean-elzy-e1671905116130.jpg

cdae11bce29e5eda260b59c7c55b0b49.jpg

Last edited:

SpiritofKeiino

Sorry for many pics!

Somebody asked about Montenegro: their largest indoor hall is called Morača, in Podgorica. It can bring from 3.000 to 5.700 people, depending on the event. I think this is enough for a decent tv show.

1661328894-MORACA-DVORANA-750x563.jpg

Unfortunately, the only country in the region that would really struggle, capacity wise, is Albania: there is literally no indoor sport's hall to hold such an event. However, they might have some former industry complexes to host it, like Denmark in 2014.

Other countries would be able to host it: Bosnia has at least two halls with capacity 6000+, both in Sarajevo. One is Olympic Hall Zetra (it hosted closing ceremony during Winter Olympic Games in 1984.). The capacity is from 7.000 to 15.000, depending on the event (it has a big floor area and it is currently missing big portion of seating, but that is easy to solve):

e73a14_70e74bf0db334ef79f5a7b49e35bc010~mv2.jpg

images

Zetra during Marija Šerifović concert (app 16.000 people were there)

marija_serifovic_zetra2.jpg

The other one is Skenderija, 6.000 to 8.000, but this one need a serious reconstruction so I don't think it would host

bihengleska_014.jpg

So, now we just have to return and win...

North Macedonia has a very decent sport's hall: capacity 6.000 to 8.000

hu8yamshykoidcqrpzvq.jpg

Moldova built a nice but relatively small hall at the outskirts of Chisinau.

I think it would be enough for Eurovision

concert-okean-elzy-e1671905116130.jpg

cdae11bce29e5eda260b59c7c55b0b49.jpg
Super interesting thanks.

I hadn't realised Albania had no venue. I had assumed the population was big enough to support one for sports events and concerts.

ag89

Yea, I would like to see if there is somebody from Albania to confirm this, but as far as I know there is really no proper arena/hall. Although they have a wonderful and new stadium in Tirana, but without roof.

Other countries would able to host too: Slovenia has a nice arena, Bulgaria too, Romania is building a big arena in Bucharest and Serbia hosted in one of the largest indoor arenas in Europe already...

JenJen94

Yeah I've done a quick google on Albania and their largest indoor has capacity for 4,000?

Unless they pull a Dusseldorf 2011 and host it in a stadium somehow? :unsure:

boyardor

OK something about Czechia:

We have two arenas in Prague, two in Brno and one in Ostrava, so this is OK (We have more but I mention these because they are the biggest.).

The main problem is that ESC needs international airport with more international lines. And we have only one - Prague.

So in Prague we have:
O2 Arena - 18 000 (20 000 for concert)
Tipsport Arena - 13 238 (13 000 for concert)

Another problem is the O2 Arena or its calendar. Next year it will host the Ice Hockey World Championship (May).

If one day the Eurovision would be in Czechia, I would like it to be held in the O2 Arena, because of the larger capacity.

HayashiM

Veteran
OK something about Czechia:

We have two arenas in Prague, two in Brno and one in Ostrava, so this is OK (We have more but I mention these because they are the biggest.).

The main problem is that ESC needs international airport with more international lines. And we have only one - Prague.

So in Prague we have:
O2 Arena - 18 000 (20 000 for concert)
Tipsport Arena - 13 238 (13 000 for concert)

Another problem is the O2 Arena or its calendar. Next year it will host the Ice Hockey World Championship (May).

If one day the Eurovision would be in Czechia, I would like it to be held in the O2 Arena, because of the larger capacity.
Plus the Tipsport Arena is super old, I can't imagine us hosting us anywhere else but in the O2.

EscGeek

Veteran
(one) thing is known: :p
When we win, the next host venue will be Arena Stožice in Ljubljana. No doubt about it. (which means no fun discussions abut the host city on fan sites during the off season)

And if not, then we either won in a far, far distant future and that arena has been demolished and replaced by a another one somewhere else.
Or we fucked up so badly that another country would have to take over.

Of course there are other venues, but i don't think it would be worth it logistically....

HayashiM

Veteran
Who do you think would host the ESC in Czechia?? Can you give us any possible names??
I think Libor Bouček could be quite a good choice - he used to be our ESC commentator until 2019 when he left ČT for a competitor, but I figure he could be brought in for the occasion, he did a pretty good job with the commentating IMO.

Whom I'd love to see hosting would be Marek Eben who animates our Dancing with the Stars competition. Some might say he is perhaps too old and "outdated". But I find his sense of humor top notch, his English is also very good, he is very experienced and it's a choice that would definitely bring some part of the audience to the screen (he also has at least some knowledge of Eurovision as he made a jab at Madonna's interval act during one of the DwtS evenings).
His DwtS partner in crime Tereza Kostková could also be a good choice for one of the hosts, some say she comes across a little theatrical but she has excellent knowledge of French, that could come useful! :)

A case could perhaps be made for Leoš Mareš, one of the most sought-after Czech moderators and a long time host of the Europe 2 radio (one of the big 3 radios we have in :cz:).

ESC94

I think Libor Bouček could be quite a good choice - he used to be our ESC commentator until 2019 when he left ČT for a competitor, but I figure he could be brought in for the occasion, he did a pretty good job with the commentating IMO.

Whom I'd love to see hosting would be Marek Eben who animates our Dancing with the Stars competition. Some might say he is perhaps too old and "outdated". But I find his sense of humor top notch, his English is also very good, he is very experienced and it's a choice that would definitely bring some part of the audience to the screen (he also has at least some knowledge of Eurovision as he made a jab at Madonna's interval act during one of the DwtS evenings).

A case could perhaps be made for Leoš Mareš, one of the most sought-after Czech moderators and a long time host of the Europe 2 radio (one of the big 3 radios we have in :cz:).

Are there no female TV hosts in your country?? :LOL:

Top Bottom