Contact us

When is the deadline for final ESC versions?

A-lister

Veteran
Every year I wonder about this, but it's still a mystery to me.

When exactly is the deadline for the final ESC versions of songs that countries intend to use for the official Eurovision release/on stage in Eurovision?

Logically it should be on the meeting of delegations, but every year we have new versions sometimes as late as just some month prior the contest.

Does anyone know about the actual rules for this?

AlekS

Veteran
The final version should be ready before/on March 14.

Broadcasters can send the new version after that deadline but it will cost them money.

The release date depends of every broadcaster/performer. EBU can keep it under carpet a lil' bit longer.

A-lister

Veteran
The final version should be ready before/on March 14.

Broadcasters can send the new version after that deadline but it will cost them money.

The release date depends of every broadcaster/performer. EBU can keep it under carpet a lil' bit longer.

So the rules for new/final ESC versions are the same as for the songs in general then?

Well, I always found it weird that some final versions are released very late on, like a month after the head of delegations meeting.

Also, if it is as you're saying, then it means the EBU should have the final versions on Monday, kind of a wonder how some never leaks then in this time and age where basically everything leaks.

AlekS

Veteran
It's EBU, not some indie studio in a garage xshrug
+ it's about peformers (their pr managers) themselves who leak their own songs :) Not that it's "accidental" leakage (unless it was stolen indeed) :lol:

EBU is not that type of a company where something leaks without their own will.
So it's up to performers only if they want to release the song. Actually it's very easy to keep everything in secret. People in the studio sign the contract and if someone screw ups he will pawned royally. The same goes for journalists who listen to this song before anyone else in order to write the interview.

Performers don't leak their songs because it depends of their schedule. Simple as that. Different people - different approach.

A-lister

Veteran
It's EBU, not some indie studio in a garage xshrug

Hehe, well major international names backed by millions and big record companies got their material leaked, so why not ESC acts?

As it seems, no one really seem to know exactly if there's actully another deadline or rules for new/final versions.

ethn

from what i know the official versions are submitted on the meeting the delegations have, prior the running order draw (which if not mistaken is taking place tmrw)

A-lister

Veteran
from what i know the official versions are submitted on the meeting the delegations have, prior the running order draw (which if not mistaken is taking place tmrw)

Well, it would be logical this way, but every year some final versions drop in quite late.

Yes, it's currently taking part, but for some reason Eurovision.tv haven't updated anything in hours though so still no news on the entries.

ethn

Well, it would be logical this way, but every year some final versions drop in quite late.

Yes, it's currently taking part, but for some reason Eurovision.tv haven't updated anything in hours though so still no news on the entries.

pay a bit more to hv the last word maybe and keep audience anticipating...?? :lol:

A-lister

Veteran
pay a bit more to hv the last word maybe and keep audience anticipating...?? :lol:

Maybe maybe...

but honestly I think there should be clear rules about this though. I think the final ESC versions should be ready for the meeting and only if EBU might have something to say against some particular entries, then they should be able to update.

ethn

quoting from eurovision tv

''Düsseldorf, Germany -

The annual Head of Delegation meeting is taking place in Düsseldorf today and tomorrow which is a perfect opportunity for all the 43 nations to present themselves and their songs. All the final versions of the songs and the preview video clips have to be handed in at this meeting. ''

lets see dear how they ll stick to the above.....and yes,definetely agree with u that only if ebu has a serious issue with a song,should they allow a change.....

ParadiseES

But there can be some little changes, right? For example, Soraya's song had a much slower introduction after the rehearsals in Moscow and we also saw how some countries (Lithuania, Slovenia) changed the language in some parts.

A-lister

Veteran
quoting from eurovision tv

''Düsseldorf, Germany -

The annual Head of Delegation meeting is taking place in Düsseldorf today and tomorrow which is a perfect opportunity for all the 43 nations to present themselves and their songs. All the final versions of the songs and the preview video clips have to be handed in at this meeting. ''

lets see dear how they ll stick to the above.....and yes,definetely agree with u that only if ebu has a serious issue with a song,should they allow a change.....

Well I guess we have the answer right there then!

Weirdly EBU seem to not bother about countries updating their songs later on though, but often EBU seem to make excuses from their own rules though.

ethn

Well I guess we have the answer right there then!

Weirdly EBU seem to not bother about countries updating their songs later on though, but often EBU seem to make excuses from their own rules though.

which imo SUCKS!either u hv a rule or u dont.............

A-lister

Veteran
So, apparently we're still waiting for new versions from Israel, Italy and Slovenia (maybe some more).

And this is where my question is relevant; how come we still haven't heard them if the rules states that they should have already been ready and handed in to EBU?

Last edited:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
And this is where my question is relevant; how come we still haven't heard them if the rules states that they should have already been ready and handed in to EBU?

I'm not sure. Eurovision.tv already uploaded the preview videos but using the original versions so I am not sure if they are still going to change it or what....

A-lister

Veteran
I'm not sure. Eurovision.tv already uploaded the preview videos but using the original versions so I am not sure if they are still going to change it or what....

Yeah, I noticed this aswell.

I don't know if someone knows here, but when pressing a CD, when must the final tracklist be ready?

I remember Israel releasing a final version in 2009 that was too late to make it to the CD-pressing even, meaning the older version was the one on the Eurovision CD.

DoctorX

I still wonder how Sibel Tüzün could sing her song in Turkish in the semi and partly in English in the final...

A-lister

Veteran
So we recently got the English version of the Slovenian entry.

This leaves us with ESC version of Italy and Germany and according to rumors a new version of the Israeli entry aswell.

A-lister

Veteran
So we got Israel's new version finally!

That leaves us with Italy and Germany, anyone knows what's going on there?

Top Bottom