Contact us

What do you think of "The One That I Love (Malta1998)??

ESC94

Hi everyone,

at the Eurovision Song Contest 1998 in Birmingham, Chiara represented :mt: for the first time with the love ballad "The One That I Love", finishing third with 165 points behind :il: and :uk:. What do do you think about the song?? Did it deserve the high placing??

I personally like the song a lot, it gives you a really nice melancholic feeling, and Chiara is simply a great singer. xlove

It would have been a worthy winner, but I can understand why :il: won that year.

tomos2019

I actually wasn't that big on that song! I always preferred Angel or What if We to be honest, there is a Maltese language version though that's admittedly pretty cool and would have been more different!

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Awful. I hate all of the three Chiara attempts and I can't understand how it got so high when there were better ballads there (cough Croatia cough)

tomos2019

1998 is my favourite contest of all time probably not just in overall experience but I also find it a particularly strong year in terms of amount of songs I like (as opposed to 2021 which has not actually been as great as people said for me! :LOL:) so I admit my bottom 3 (in my case Malta,Germany and Hungary) do kind of come across a bit ''less good'' IMO compared to the rest!

ESC94

If I had to rank all the songs by Chiara it would be like this.

1. Angel
2. The One That I love
3. What if We

Top Bottom