deen1_537640491.jpg

Playlist missing Mars Agro - Losing You and Eartha Kitt - I Love Men

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
giphy.gif

13th in Semi 1 with 64 Points / 8th in REJU with 38 Points
Did Not Qualify

Well, the good news is I think Father John Misty made the top 31. The bad news is he missed the final by a single point whilst doing better in REJU. I probably got a bit unlucky with the draw there. I'm glad I Love You, Honeybear was appreciated though. I sent it totally clueless to how it would be received in all honesty. Gave me tricky sell feelings. I had to go with it though as it makes me so emotional. It's perhaps my favourite song I've shared this year besides King Tuff's The Other, and now you're definitely going to see this man again in my upcoming Americana NF© which I might bring a bit forward (cause who doesn't like holding an NF to cure their flop blues?).

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
SWk6uu1.gif

So this really happened, huh...I'm really annoyed by this flop. Soo close and if I was in the right semi my votes would've literally made the difference. I even scandalously gave it only 10p because I thought the song I've put at 12p would have a hard time qualifying. I had faith in the Honeybear and y'all did him dirty sigh, really don't understand the voting in WV sometimes.

Thanks for sharing this though, it's definitely one of my favourite songs of the year. xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
SWk6uu1.gif

So this really happened, huh...I'm really annoyed by this flop. Soo close and if I was in the right semi my votes would've literally made the difference. I even scandalously gave it only 10p because I thought the song I've put at 12p would have a hard time qualifying. I had faith in the Honeybear and y'all did him dirty sigh, really don't understand the voting in WV sometimes.

Thanks for sharing this though, it's definitely one of my favourite songs of the year. xheart

I sent the song expecting to miss (as it's peculiar and dark), whilst being open to a nice surprise, so it's ok, but missing by 1 point though and doing very well in REJU..

c392301c825b3175776a8da2a5c5b0aa.jpg

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, Gera xheart Thank you for supporting Father John Floppy (and encouraging me to send him when we private messaged HOW DARE YOU xheat). Please look forward to seeing him flop again in an NF coming near you soon.

Genesis

I told you that you have a fair chance with qualifying, and was right given you only missed out by 1 point. A bit sad that we wont be able to see :us: in the final.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
NF season will be indeed hot this edition xheat

I knew yours was coming but when I saw all the other NFs going up and being announced I was simultaneously like yessssss and oh deeear. I hope we don't exhaust people :lol: Mine accidentally turned out quite sizeable too, whoopsie. I should have it up in the next day or two. There's one song here I'm super curious to find out what you'll make of it. I think potentially it could blow your cowboy hat very far.

Genesis

Yeah, I feel the same. In one way its great to have so many NFs going, but at the same time it's not easy to check all of them out with same passion. It can be exhausting

There's one song here I'm super curious to find out what you'll make of it. I think potentially it could blow your cowboy hat very far.

I feel like my cowboy hat has just tanked (refueled?) on some fuel to get ready for that journey xheat xfaint

Last edited:

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
THE AVETT BROTHERS ◎ GILLIAN WELCH ◎ AARON LEE TASJAN ◎ VALERIE JUNE
FATHER JOHN MISTY ◎ ALELA DIANE ◎ KURT VILE & JOHN PRINE ◎ MARGO PRICE

tenor.gif

My Southern run hasn't even started and we are already colliding xheat I have Valerie and Margo too on my slowly (45 songs already) growing playlist. If it's the songs I discovered then YEEEEHAW this NF will be legendary. (it already is since Alela and Father John are here xo)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
PDrYoQN.png

Howdy! That there was a traditional American greeting as I welcome you to a very special National Final, celebrating modern Americana artists and the music they make. What exactly is Americana music I hear you ask, and why do you often describe songs that sound like country or folk for instance with that label? Americana is contemporary, usually (although not limited to) American music incorporating elements from multiple roots genres. Be it Country, folk, rock & roll, rhythm & blues, bluegrass or gospel. It's an earthy mix of influences that blend together, creating songs that sound often worlds apart from how the genres they take from sound in their purest forms. And so let's get this thing going, shall we!?

The Avett Brothers kicking things off here with a touching song from the 2016 release, True Sadness. I first heard of this band through a beautiful Elliott Smith covers album that Seth Avett made with Jessica Lea Mayfield. No Hard Feelings Is a song about letting go of what's been dragging you back, carrying on without the baggage and seeing the beauty that's there. I love the way this one builds and how bold and full of life it gets.

Gillian Welch is next up with a haunting little number from her 2011 record, The Harrow & The Harvest. Dark Turn of Mind offers a warm, comforting embrace whilst being oh so very melancholy. Gillian performs with her musical partner David Rawlings, and has said "by and large I listen to people who are dead. I'm really of the tried-and-true school. I let 50 years go by and see what's really relevant." She's truly after my own heart there.

Aaron Lee Tasjan returns to WorldVision. He's one of my Americana faves and so far you've seen him once at the game with My Camera, and a couple of other times in national finals that I've held. Little Movies was the glittering cowboy's lead single from one of my favourite albums of 2016, Silver Tears. When I think of Americana, Aaron usually comes straight to mind as he's such a mix of stuff: country, rock & roll, folk, blues and even travelling in some psychedelic directions.

Valerie June arrives Just In Time with this stunning piece from her 2017 release, The Order Of Time. Such a distinct voice that twangs its beauty all over this lush, majestic ode to the most special kind of lover. I've been a fan of her music for quite some time so it surprises me how it's taken me almost six years to share Valerie with you, but better late than never I guess.

Father John Misty wants revenge! After quite a cruel miss where luck very much wasn't on his side with the draw, I'm sharing with you here possibly my favourite Father John Misty song, and the one that's been high up on my list to send for years. Bored In The USA is an achingly beautiful and yet scathing piece taken from Misty's 2015 album, I Love You, Honeybear. When that laugh track hits I don't know whether to howl along with it or cry.

Alela Diane is a lady you might have seen earlier on in the year if you voted in that random NF I held. Ether & Wood, a song from 2018's Cusp, was what I almost shared the first time with you, and it gets its chance now. It's a beautiful and warm piece. Alela said of it: “‘Ether & Wood’ is a reflection on the different lives that are lived within a lifetime. The doors along the way that often open and close without notice. I live in a very old house, and love thinking about all the people who lived and died within these walls. We’re all in there: the former selves, the lost loves, and the mysterious ones who came before.”

Kurt Vile is back and here he lives out his dream of performing with his hero and Americana legend, John Prine, who very sadly passed away earlier this year. Kurt described this recording of How Lucky with John as "probably the single most special musical moment in my life.” The slacker rocker released his latest, Speed, Sound, Lonely KV (ep) just last week, and I've had this song that Prine first recorded in 1979 on repeat. When they sing together at the end, aw man xheart 💧

Margo Price is one of the hottest talents in Americana right now. In 2020 she released her latest record, That's How The Rumors Get Started, but during the pandemic she has been revisting some of these songs and giving them new versions. Cue I'd Die For You the synthphonic version, baby! Heard this about a month ago and was like "oh gosh, oh gosh" and then noticed she'd even gone and made a music video for it as I was putting together this selection of songs, and went "oh gosh, oh gosh" all over again and had to slam it down right here for you.

DEADLINE IS MIDNIGHT BEFORE THE LAST DAY OF ENTRY SUBMISSIONS FOR NEXT EDITION. You may use half numbers if you like. There's a handy recap video to see if there's anything here for you that's gonna make it worth diving into this one. I hope you at least find a song or two (or eightxheat) to enjoy here. I'm as passionate about this stuff as I am about garage rock so I'm really excited to share this NF with you. I've had it planned for a very long time. Thank you for listening xheart

Copy and Paste List

Yeeehaws and the finest pinewood to:

:susa: :au: :pl: :ir: :kr: :rs: :svea: ::cepo :de: :br: :it: ::ostl :west: :tr: :no: ::sa :dk: :ar: :uk: :jp: :cn:

Last edited:

Journalist

Banners are fabulous as always, well done! xheart
Cowboy's hats xheat xheat
Serbia will vote probably tomorrow cause we need some time to enjoy this banners and then listen the songs ofc 😎

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Oh my god it's finally here, I'm happier than ol' Blue layin' on the porch chewin' on a big ol' catfish head. 🤠 (i just googled that lmao)

This selection. xheat xheat 'Oh gosh' was my reaction as well for "I'd Die For You", such a dramatic little song xheat

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
tenor.gif

My Southern run hasn't even started and we are already colliding xheat I have Valerie and Margo too on my slowly (45 songs already) growing playlist. If it's the songs I discovered then YEEEEHAW this NF will be legendary. (it already is since Alela and Father John are here xo)

Old-west-duel.gif

Excuse you but what is this kind of clashing that keeps happening between us? I don't even have this with Calvin, and him and I are the same person almost. The only one I did give your Lastfm page a quick peek for was The Avett Brothers as they were a late addition to the NF, and I'm not as familiar with their work as the other artists here (although I love Seth Avett's Elliott Smith covers album). You had something like three plays of them, so I thought I'll chuck them in, he won't mind xqueenbitch Margo I've known for ages. Read about her in my dad rock magazine I sometimes buy called UNCUT. With Valerie June I'll have you know my scrobbles date back to 2012 xhunterCan't wait to find out what you think of the songs here you don't know (I hope there's some) xheart

Banners are fabulous as always, well done! xheart
Cowboy's hats xheat xheat
Serbia will vote probably tomorrow cause we need some time to enjoy this banners and then listen the songs ofc 😎

Thank yooou 🤠 Cowboy hats xheart xheart :cool: I'll look forward to finding out what you think of the songs. I'll probably start voting in NFs tomorrow as well. I think I'm too exhausted right at this moment xfaint

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Cowboy hats have already been flying! After five voters it looks like this...

43.5 miles

Thank you Gera, Ari, Mario, Uto and Ana xheart Didn't expect a nice lil' handful of voters so soon (gotta thank hijacking Mario's NF LL for that). A few songs have started to fall behind at this early stage but of course can catch up. I'm kind of surprised by what's in last place though as I considered it a top front runner here.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I've just noticed there's a "rainywoody NF" taking place. :mrgreen: I will vote here and for the first time in a NF organised by you. :eek: xthink

You've really never voted in one of my NFs before? I could have sworn you had done at least once but I'm looking forward to getting your votes here, Luis :love: I'm hopeful there will be at least a song or two for you to enjoy.

EurovisionSmile

Veteran
xlove I'm naturally distracted xcrazy and I never know when NFs are taking place. :p Otherwise I would have voted before. :mrgreen: Oh, I'm sure I will find songs I love. I was "pushed into" this NF because Anna's post called my attention and considering how she reacted after she said that she voted it means she loved what she heard. So the odds are in your favour. :lol:
And also because you might have a diverse taste, but you generally send songs I like and sometimes even memorable ones, like the one from the previous edition amongst many others. xlove 👍😎🤡🤩
And thank you for the warm welcome, dear Kai. 🥰

Top Bottom