9 6.3%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

mauve

Veteran
Can we appreciate that I’ve not called anyone rating this less than 6 homophobic

I’ve come a long way
Then I am happy that I am standing on the edge with my 6 points. 🙃 I actually really hoped that the song was more my way because I like his personality!

HarryUK

Veteran
Then I am happy that I am standing on the edge with my 6 points. 🙃 I actually really hoped that the song was more my way because I like his personality!
Teetering on the edge
Just make sure it only goes up towards the dizzying heights of 12 points! See what I did there

Ianp16

It’s a song I would never listen to more than a couple times, although I can say the same for Space Man. Although Space Man has more levels to it and NOT a spoken middle 8 (AGAIN? After last year’s fail?!). Hopefully Olly and visuals can elevate the song but must admit I was a bit disappointed on the first few listens as it doesn’t really go anywhere. All songs that win have levels and go somewhere. This doesn’t.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
The idea of MNEK in Eurovision is too much to bear. He'd be perfect, and I can totally see what you mean here. What could have been...

The highlight of Dizzy to me is by FAR the production. I don't really care about what Olly's singing when Danny L Harle's lush work is reaching my ears. I think this could be a real dark horse with juries who tend to care about that kind of thing, while the televote... maybe Olly can get some recognition votes? I don't have the highest hopes.

Yeah, MNEK has pretty much been my dream representative for us for years now.. and perhaps it's not even an impossible wish anymore considering we got Olly, a more famous artist even.

And I agree with all you say. The production really is the star here. It's so rich with all those scrumptious synths. It all depends on how the song is staged (considering the budget and vision of the music video, we can probably expect good things) and how Olly performs. With a more compelling voice I feel this entry could have been destined for great things. It pains me in a way how the vocals are such a big turn off point because I want to enjoy the entry properly, but it's just difficult when you don't vibe with an artist
1080227120548163624.webp
As it stands I predict a result somewhere around the middle (12th-15th) is probably realistic. The jury will (should) appreciate the composition. With the public it's harder to say especially seeing as though there's going to be a huge amount of more televote-leaning entries in the final, which actually bodes well for UK's jury support at least.

ZoboCamel

I don't love this, but I like it. Great production, cool instrumentation/vibes, and I don't have any issue with either the vocals or the spoken word section like some people do.

The issues I do have are (1) the melody - not a terrible one, but it doesn't feel all that impactful - and (2) the underwhelming structure (no significant development from start to end, no big memorable/wham moment, and it doesn't end quite so much as it just stops at the end of a random line). Maybe those issues can be solved with good staging, or simply by the song growing on me, but for now, they're there.

The Benjamin Ingrosso comparison actually feels appropriate here, though I do think this is a slightly stronger song with a less-smug-looking performer. And on the note of "comparing this to other Eurovision songs": I'd sort of put this in a similar boat to Luktelk, albeit a bit more pop than rave, in that it's a dark but accessible electronic number that's very slickly produced but sort of stays the same throughout. Curious as to whether that overlap could hurt them (in a similar vein to what everyone's mentioning for the many "crazy" songs this year), or whether it's just me who lumps them together. Finally, compared to Mae - I think I like this a little more, though only to the extent that it should be upper-midtable in my rankings rather than mid-midtable.

For now: :7:, with ye olde caveat of "that could go in either direction."

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
It’s a song I would never listen to more than a couple times, although I can say the same for Space Man. Although Space Man has more levels to it and NOT a spoken middle 8 (AGAIN? After last year’s fail?!). Hopefully Olly and visuals can elevate the song but must admit I was a bit disappointed on the first few listens as it doesn’t really go anywhere. All songs that win have levels and go somewhere. This doesn’t.

I somehow feel like last years flop was less about the spoken middle 8 and rather her vocal car crash, poor choreo, butchering of that final big note and a whole performance that was so incredibly flat.

Sabrewulf238

I feel like it's missing something at the end. I've seen a lot of people saying it needs more oomph and I'd agree with that.

It feels like it's aiming for something but it doesn't ramp up enough to quite get there...

HarryUK

Veteran
I somehow feel like last years flop was less about the spoken middle 8 and rather her vocal car crash, poor choreo, butchering of that final big note and a whole performance that was so incredibly flat.
I’m still blaming the lack of vocal support. Mae deserved so much better

HarryUK

Veteran
When I have meetings with our company offices in Düsseldorf and Rotterdam on zoom I’m gonna have this playing as the intro music. Get that promo!

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I’m still blaming the lack of vocal support. Mae deserved so much better

Given that they had multiple runs, got to watch it back over and over I'm shocked that no one saw she needed it badly. Other countries like Poland and Cyprus made big big use of backing vocal support.

I'm hopeful with his own team Olly should have a better grip on things. I'm expecting a real big show and for this song to come alive live on stage. It's going to need it anyway

HarryUK

Veteran
Given that they had multiple runs, got to watch it back over and over I'm shocked that no one saw she needed it badly. Other countries like Poland and Cyprus made big big use of backing vocal support.

I'm hopeful with his own team Olly should have a better grip on things. I'm expecting a real big show and for this song to come alive live on stage. It's going to need it anyway
I think Olly will be more likely to stand his ground

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
The music video looks great, i love seeing that they had a budget (rather the label aha). I read somewhere else that the song has already been played on Lithuanian radios. If it can get that hit potential then that's only a good thing

crashworld

Veteran
I expected so much more, but only to be let down. It's just plods along and doesn't quite hit that it needs.
Giving this a :6: as this, like Austria, is better than half of the songs that have been selected.

ArmpitOfEurope

This year we get plenty of nice entries but where are the contenders? Was relying on him to bring one, judging by the reactions and the way he's falling on the odds he didnt
All the past winners have one big/winning moment, the lack of one here is what dissapoints most of the fans I think, coz you cant deny its a good and catchy track overall

HarryUK

Veteran
This year we get plenty of nice entries but where are the contenders? Was relying on him to bring one, judging by the reactions and the way he's falling on the odds he didnt
All the past winners have one big/winning moment, the lack of one here is what dissapoints most of the fans I think, coz you cant deny its a good and catchy track overall
We haven’t seen the staging yet. Two words - Space Man

Storm

Today I feel underwhelmed. I quite liked the snippet but I don't feel the song is much more than the snippet multiplied a few times...

Top Bottom