6 3.6%

16 9.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

aef

As long as they’re not homophonic I respect a bit more conservative or let’s say traditional people. Live and let live… Guess what, there are people that are totally fine with homosexuality but they are not to keen on seing a lot of overly sexual content in public/ on tv. (Both hetero and gay) Fair enough. So I can see why some casual Eurovision viewers will find this too much. And yes it also is a family show somehow, so :uk: and :fi: are crossing the line a bit in my opinion.

But maybe it’s just me. I’m a definite LGBTQ supporter but I’m not a fan of „in your face behaviour“ in general.

HarryUK

Veteran
As long as they’re not homophonic I respect a bit more conservative or let’s say traditional people. Live and let live… Guess what, there are people that are totally fine with homosexuality but they are not to keen on seing a lot of overly sexual content in public/ on tv. (Both hetero and gay) Fair enough. So I can see why some casual Eurovision viewers will find this too much. And yes it also is a family show somehow, so :uk: and :fi: are crossing the line a bit in my opinion.

But maybe it’s just me. I’m a definite LGBTQ supporter but I’m not a fan of „in your face behaviour“ in general.
To be honest the ‘in your face behaviour’ (as you put it) is quite justified given that LGBT+ people have faced in many parts of the world and even on our continent continue to face extreme prejudice that straight people (whose agenda is shoved in our face every day) will never ever have to overcome. I applaud Olly and his fantastic display of queerness on that stage!

Last edited:

GermanBango

To be honest the ‘in your face behaviour’ (as you put it) is quite justified given that LGBT+ people have faced in many parts of the world and even on our continent continue to face extreme prejudice that straight people (whose agenda is shoved in our face every day) will never ever have to overcome. I applaud Olly and his fantastic display of queerness on that stage!
Again I (a bisexual man in a relationship with another guy) can only speak for myself here:
Everyone should be doing whatever makes them happy. As long as they do no harm to others it is pretty much fine to me. However personally I am rather appalled by walking cliches and I find it frustrating to be put in a box with them. Which is obviously a problem of society as a whole not being able to differentiate properly. But that’s a different story.

I absolutely do not mind the display of homosexual intimacy in the performance itself. What is bothering me however is the fact that they present it in this filthy/demonic way. To what end? I don’t find that brave at all. In fact it just feels like it’s being done to specifically piss off certain people and to gather attention for a pretty middle of the road song that nobody would talk about otherwise.

HarryUK

Veteran
Again I (a bisexual man in a relationship with another guy) can only speak for myself here:
Everyone should be doing whatever makes them happy. As long as they do no harm to others it is pretty much fine to me. However personally I am rather appalled by walking cliches and I find it frustrating to be put in a box with them. Which is obviously a problem of society as a whole not being able to differentiate properly. But that’s a different story.

I absolutely do not mind the display of homosexual intimacy in the performance itself. What is bothering me however is the fact that they present it in this filthy/demonic way. To what end? I don’t find that brave at all. In fact it just feels like it’s being done to specifically piss off certain people and to gather attention for a pretty middle of the road song that nobody would talk about otherwise.
Where are people getting ‘demonic’ from? It’s this kind of internalised homophobia that’s being peddled which really makes me concerned for the future. Playing into the hands of those who wish to harm our community.

Bmbriga

Really? They are getting "demonic" because they are shown red, with their tongues out, hanging from the ceiling. Those were always typical features when someone was trying to portray devil/demon. He's in Exorcist spider walk pose on the ceiling with his tongue out.
I'm not getting into why some like it and some don't, but I don't see the point in denying it, because I'm pretty sure that's what they were consciously going for when making the staging. It's pretty obvious.

HarryUK

Veteran
Really? They are getting "demonic" because they are shown red, with their tongues out, hanging from the ceiling. Those were always typical features when someone was trying to portray devil/demon. He's in Exorcist spider walk pose on the ceiling with his tongue out.
I'm not getting into why some like it and some don't, but I don't see the point in denying it, because I'm pretty sure that's what they were consciously going for when making the staging. It's pretty obvious.
Oh please. If you want to liken queerness to being demonic then you’re very much part of the problem

Biste

Yeah I think their profile has been deleted now as per their request so all their posts have potentially vanished.
What :eek:
I found the new him quite amusing, with all the Jesus talk :D His short resurrection (pun intended) will be missed.

GermanBango

Oh please. If you want to liken queerness to being demonic then you’re very much part of the problem
Maybe only seeing black and white is part of the problem? People have different tastes and opinions. If I am not fond of a performance showing homosexual intimacy as something filthy (and yep this is definitely the vibe they are going for. You can deny that all you want) then I am going to say it. Quite frankly, if you feel like everyone should applaud this cheap display or otherwise they have “internalised homophobia” then maybe you are in fact part of the problem.

HarryUK

Veteran
Maybe only seeing black and white is part of the problem? People have different tastes and opinions. If I am not fond of a performance showing homosexual intimacy as something filthy (and yep this is definitely the vibe they are going for. You can deny that all you want) then I am going to say it. Quite frankly, if you feel like everyone should applaud this cheap display or otherwise they have “internalised homophobia” then maybe you are in fact part of the problem.
I’m not denying that’s the vibe they’re going for - I’m supporting that vibe! For too long the straight agenda has dominated the BBC and UK television and it’s about time we had an act who celebrates their queerness and represents us queer individuals on the Eurovision stage!

Your internalised homophobia is the problem. It’s not something you’re doing intentionally (hence internalised), but it’s there. We see it.

GermanBango

I’m not denying that’s the vibe they’re going for - I’m supporting that vibe! For too long the straight agenda has dominated the BBC and UK television and it’s about time we had an act who celebrates their queerness and represents us queer individuals on the Eurovision stage!

Your internalised homophobia is the problem. It’s not something you’re doing intentionally (hence internalised), but it’s there. We see it.
I mean, you were literally denying it two posts prior saying it was all just in our heads but ... alright. It's fine that you are supporting that vibe, it's your opinion and I respect that. Wish you would do the same with those who might not like the vibe the performance is going for instead of being judgmental and trying to invalidate others. ;)

Sammy

Veteran
The whole discussion reminds me if a film about stonewall. There were those gays who silently protested before a courtbuilding, showing inoffensive signs for a designeted timeslot and marching in a circle one after the others and there were the loud, excentric, over the top camp people and drag queens. The „silent“ protesters complained about the others to be top shrill and not representing the whole gay comunity and feared their campyness would even harm their common cause. The „loud“ ones said it was their right to express themselves in this way and that they didn‘t care about the opinion straights might have about them. The arguments I read (and posted myself) on the matter of Ollies staging could be taken directly ot of that film (unluckily I forgot its title, but it was a vety good one)

HarryUK

Veteran
I mean, you were literally denying it two posts prior saying it was all just in our heads but ... alright. It's fine that you are supporting that vibe, it's your opinion and I respect that. Wish you would do the same with those who might not like the vibe the performance is going for instead of being judgmental and trying to invalidate others. ;)
I’m denying that it’s demonic not that it’s a queer performance. Naturally I respect your right to have a wrong opinion ;)

Rocket man

Homosexual intimacy can be dirty and filthy. That's sex. As if straight people are so pure and innocent when it comes to sex. The hypocrisy is ridiculous.

The performance is just fun and entertainment, some people need to chill out that gay people will express their sexuality and we do not need your approval or acceptance, it's happening.

Last edited:

GermanBango

You two are absolutely not getting the point. Thing is: In your arguments you are being so pressed about a particular notion of freedom of expression while at the same time literally invalidating other queer people (!) who are not really too thrilled with the performance and have troubles identifying themselves with it. In other words: Who are you to tell me that I have some problems with my own sexuality/identity just because I don't like what you do? That's just disrespectful.

HarryUK

Veteran
You two are absolutely not getting the point. Thing is: In your arguments you are being so pressed about a particular notion of freedom of expression while at the same time literally invalidating other queer people (!) who are not really too thrilled with the performance and have troubles identifying themselves with it. In other words: Who are you to tell me that I have some problems with my own sexuality/identity just because I don't like what you do? That's just disrespectful.
Holding the views that you hold plays into the hands of those who seek to damage our community. Those who want to eradicate Trans identity, those that don’t agree with how we choose to live our lives and those in faith groups that call us demonic and satanists because of how we choose to live our lives. There are more Catholic priests doing harm to children than LGBT people. It is not disrespectful to stand up for the wider LGBT community, who face constant ridicule and criticism merely for existing.

GermanBango

Holding the views that you hold plays into the hands of those who seek to damage our community. Those who want to eradicate Trans identity, those that don’t agree with how we choose to live our lives and those in faith groups that call us demonic and satanists because of how we choose to live our lives. There are more Catholic priests doing harm to children than LGBT people. It is not disrespectful to stand up for the wider LGBT community, who face constant ridicule and criticism merely for existing.
Say what? So I am am playing in the hands of those who seek to damage the LGBT-community because I dare to criticize the overall vibe of this performance? You must be joking. Again you don't know shit about me so stop assuming.

HarryUK

Veteran
Say what? So I am am playing in the hands of those who seek to damage the LGBT-community because I dare to criticize the overall vibe of this performance? You must be joking. Again you don't know shit about me so stop assuming.
Holding the views that you do damages the community on a wider scale. There are many many layers to being LGBT+ and we have to stick together and uplift one another, because no straight person will go out of their way to do so.

Top Bottom