2 1.0%

13 6.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

SpiritofKeiino

I hope the media doesn't crush Mae after the event if it comes say lower than 15th. I'm loving the positivity towards Eurovision in the UK since Sam Ryder came 2nd, and I want it to continue. I Wrote A Song, while not one of my favourites in the competition this year, is a solid entry and is head and shoulders above most UK entries from the last 20 years. We need to keep the positivity going to encourage other credible acts from the UK music industry to compete. I don't mean that the act shouldn't be criticised (that's all well and good), I just don't want it trashed unnecessarily or people saying 'UK has no chance ever and should pull out' if it doesn't come in the top ranking on the night.

Chrisiam

Honestly, it depends on the result. If she comes dead last then yeah, there is going to be negativity. However, it is worth remembering that over the past few years, there has been more pushback to the "They hate us" narrative in the UK. So even if she does it will be only the media doing it and not the wider public. And I'll be blunt, whilst a lot of people are saying this is an "Off Year" the vast majority of songs in this year's contest are the kind you'd hear on UK radio and have a credible sound to them. And not just top 40 radio either, your more credible indie and emerging talent shows and stations too. So this contest will be an illuminating experience for many in the UK that think the contest is all just rapping grannies and people dressed as garden gnomes or whatever.

Another factor will be how well the track will live outside the contest. If between now and the contest/post-contest it becomes a "song of the summer" regardless of the result it will be hard to really rag on her when people end up loving the track. And besides. Even if she somehow came second again you'd still have people screaming "Politics!", "They hate us!", "That is what she gets for hating the UK" and so forth.

What is important is that the fans in the UK (and beyond) don't get toxic towards her. Because that will be used as ammo against her. I can easily see tweets of people being bitchy towards her being included in an angry article about the BBC wasting money on the contest and a "No hoper" like her if she doesn't do well.

ESC_Peggy

Honestly, it depends on the result. If she comes dead last then yeah, there is going to be negativity. However, it is worth remembering that over the past few years, there has been more pushback to the "They hate us" narrative in the UK. So even if she does it will be only the media doing it and not the wider public. And I'll be blunt, whilst a lot of people are saying this is an "Off Year" the vast majority of songs in this year's contest are the kind you'd hear on UK radio and have a credible sound to them. And not just top 40 radio either, your more credible indie and emerging talent shows and stations too. So this contest will be an illuminating experience for many in the UK that think the contest is all just rapping grannies and people dressed as garden gnomes or whatever.

Another factor will be how well the track will live outside the contest. If between now and the contest/post-contest it becomes a "song of the summer" regardless of the result it will be hard to really rag on her when people end up loving the track. And besides. Even if she somehow came second again you'd still have people screaming "Politics!", "They hate us!", "That is what she gets for hating the UK" and so forth.

What is important is that the fans in the UK (and beyond) don't get toxic towards her. Because that will be used as ammo against her. I can easily see tweets of people being bitchy towards her being included in an angry article about the BBC wasting money on the contest and a "No hoper" like her if she doesn't do well.
To be honest I don’t think locals care whether the song does well or badly in the charts after the contest. The majority don’t know Mae or the song and tune in for the scoring and base their opinion off that.

The impression I get from a lot of UK locals is there’s a superiority complex anyway even if the UK entries are completely hopeless. I Wrote A Song isn’t bad but a bottom half finish will not get a neutral “oh ok then” reaction after they saw what was possible last year.

2023 was always considered a pivotal moment for UK momentum at Eurovision (without hosting) and I can see why. Hopefully it will be Top 10 and anything less would be minimised by the excitement of the UK hosting but it could be spun as embarassing.

Ali_

Again, major miss on the big note in final chorus in Madrid performance. I really hope they just remove if she can't do it in the first round of rehearsals in Liverpool rather than being stubborn, keeping it in and hoping it'll work on the night. I can't recall what the UK delegation's track record is re taking criticism on board. Though I suppose that won't be as much of a thing this year with closed rehearsals (I totally do get why they're doing that).
On a positive note, the da-da-di parts sounded way better this time around. I think she pared back how loud she was singing it in those sections so it didn't sound grating.

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran
If UK flops this year, it is not the song but Mae's vocals doing. She really needs to rehearse more, coz she sounds like she is in need of oxygen towards the end of the song. It's not a good look if Blanka from Poland sounds better than her.

And also, I really dislike the talking bit during the bridge. It's so cringey and out of place. Would have preferred if she done the original version instead.

Upgrading the song to a :8:. It would have been a :10: if it's the original version.

Last edited:

ESC_Peggy

I hope her record label will put in the effort to help make it a success and not be cheap with staging. They can’t finish Eurovision and expect the same success for Mae that Sam got if her performance is amateur. Mae is a singer she should be able to sing but so far I’m not really hearing it. She is working hard but she should be at a higher level than some of the less experienced artists.

empo21

Veteran
The final note isn't meme'd enough. It can reach Bejba levels memery methinks

After 3 live performances, I'm accepting the fact that Mae is just not a strong vocalist and there's nothing bad about it, but the team needs to focus on ironing out some parts. Unrelated to vocals, fix the costume syling, too, please, thank you.

theditz83

Veteran
If UK flops this year, it is not the song but Mae's vocals doing. She really needs to rehearse more, coz she sounds like she is in need of oxygen towards the end of the song. It's not a good look if Blanka from Poland sounds better than her.

And also, I really dislike the talking bit during the bridge. It's so cringey and out of place. Would have preferred if she done the original version instead.

Upgrading the song to a :8:. It would have been a :10: if it's the original version.
The spoken middle 8 has always been in the track since release, so it is the original version. She did say she added it specifically for Eurovision after she was offered participation, but it's not been added after the original release.

Chrisiam

As soon as footage from the rehearsals during Eurovision fortnight comes out if there are any glaring issues they'll soon know when the fan base makes them clear. This year, of all years, the UK team aren't going to want to do anything too embarrassing.

crashworld

Veteran
The spoken middle 8 has always been in the track since release, so it is the original version. She did say she added it specifically for Eurovision after she was offered participation, but it's not been added after the original release.

Maybe I wasn't being correct with the technicalities. I understand the music video version (which contains the spoken middle 8) was released on the day the song was officially announced as the UK entry. I thought the version used in the music video would just be for the music video and the version she released on Spotify (without the middle 8) on the same day is meant to be the "original version" since she didn't label the song as "edited version" or "radio version".

But whatever it is you want to call the song without the spoken middle 8, I prefer it to the music video version or the ESC version (now that she has performed that version in the ESC pre-parties).

Last edited:

theditz83

Veteran
Yeah I've always seen that Spotify version as an edited "radio" version, with the current trend for songs having to be 2 to 2.5 minutes max. For me, it's too rushed at the end without the middle 8 but I get your concerns over it since it will be a very love it or hate it section of the song.

Bmbriga

Again, she didn't deliver. Not even close.
Unfortunately, I lost all hope for this one.
I have a feeling it will be a huge mess in Liverpool also.
Bottom right side of the board vibe is getting stronger 😬

Rocket man

It doesn't matter how many rehearsals Mae Muller does, she is not a good singer. This was obvious to me the moment she was chosen and when I decided to watch some of her performances from gigs before. Also she doesn't come across professional, in fact I found the UK's junior eurovision entry from last year came across more professional than Mae Muller, and she was only 13 years old!

Ezio

Veteran
She is a good singer but she lacks the stamina to sing and dance like this. She should either train hard like Chanel or stop moving.

Top Bottom