Oh, I'm in the wrong place, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

GWTW1939

I do hope the BBC BMG partnership does continue. Yes there were mistakes made and it resulted in 0 points but the basic premise and idea was definitely good. They just need to look and learn.

BBC never stick with anything once it doesn't live up to expectations. They ditched the method that got 5th place in 2009 after Josh flopped (who the hell throught Waterman was the best to succeed ALW?). They botched their success in 2011 by picking a real oldie the next year (cause Blue and Engelbert are clearly the same type has been!). They stopped BBC Introducting after Molly's disappointment even though everything leading up to the final bought the UK some it's most positive optimism in ages.

They only want immediate success and when it doesn't happen they give up. They don't realize nothing happens overnight. So I hope the BMG thing is given more time

EscUKFan

BMG just need to select a decent artist/group, give them full creative control (as has already been said) and the points will coming rolling in. Even Sweden have shown that sending safe songs doesn’t always cut it this year.

It annoys me though, because inevitably no lessons will be learnt. There may be small signs of improvement but come Eurovision week it won’t matter and we’ll still crash out in the bottom five. The only good that has come from James’ result is that miraculously, the media largely aren’t blaming the result on politics, brexit etc.. but more the fact our song just WASN’T up to par.

I am really coming round to the idea of us withdrawing for a few years, but it’ll never happen. The BBC CLEARLY care more about getting decent viewing figures for what is a very cheap show for them. We could get nul points every year but as long as they’re getting 7 million+ watching then they don’t care. THAT is where the problem lies. THEY need to move away from it being a cheap night of TV and just put a bit of effort in and get something that won’t be a complete embarrassment onstage.

There’s SO MANY up and coming, even well known artists out there that would give it a go, the BBC just need to give them a bit of faith and take a risk for a change. There’s millions of people that like/love Eurovision, and there would be even more if we put something competitive and original into the contest.

Inevitably it won’t happen. BMG will select some decent but dull artist with a decent but dull song that will inevitably crash out in 24th place. And I’ll be here writing the same thing next May..

*sigh*

Loindici

Veteran
There’s SO MANY up and coming, even well known artists out there that would give it a go, the BBC just need to give them a bit of faith and take a risk for a change. There’s millions of people that like/love Eurovision, and there would be even more if we put something competitive and original into the contest.

I think they might be heading towards that. I'm a bit surprised BBC's Eurovision coverage is less harsher/sarcastic than 2019 which might signal a change of attitude IMO. Maybe they'll select a small artist once again, but I have faith for BBC.

Speaking of 'competitive and original', I think it's also a double-edged sword when it comes to UK. James' Embers is original but wasn't competitive enough, even if it represents the UK music scene, so what's gonna be competitive? Should they send UK's RnB? Rina Sawayama? British rock bands? More dance music?

GWTW1939

If they continue using up and coming artists I hope they find a way to help and guide them more.

I know they couldn't do much with James cause of the pandemic but I remember they did nothing with Molly. She disappeared right after the song reveal. They should have found ways to get her to perform more and get comfortable in front of audiences. Maybe if they did she wouldn't have looked so scared and wooden for the big moment. She loosened up at the end but it was too late by then.

And if they don't want to put in the extra effort at least pick someone who is more natural a performer from the start

Loindici

Veteran
Now here’s a fun idea: how about Jessie J? Yeah she is well known and all, but she’s also quitky enough to do it for a laugh or even more probably she would take it seriously. She did that chinese competition and is a power vocalist, why not? 👀

I mean, a career revival as well. Why not?

TheJeb

Now here’s a fun idea: how about Jessie J? Yeah she is well known and all, but she’s also quirky enough to do it for a laugh or even more probably she would take it seriously. She did that Chinese competition and is a power vocalist, why not? 👀
She did the Chinese programs to break into the Chinese market. I don’t think Jessie J feels the need to break into the European market which she has already broken into before. I personally think we should go with a rock band or indie band which don’t get much European promotion at all. We need a group who will actually appreciate the experience and view it as a way to get their music out there. Doing this will mean that an artist will most likely send their best the Eurovision because it will be the only time they will get an opportunity like this to finally get attention that radio stations and other media wouldn’t usually give them.

Chrisiam

Last time they got close to doing anything for the UK at Eurovision they got passed over for Engelbert Humperdinck and I worry history would just repeat again. Though to find someone as old as Engelbert would require a shovel and the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis.

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Last time they got close to doing anything for the UK at Eurovision they got passed over for Engelbert Humperdinck and I worry history would just repeat again. Though to find someone as old as Engelbert would require a shovel and the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis.
UNITED KINGDOM 2022 - Tom Jones

Mainshow

Veteran
Just send Hurts. The charisma of Theodore is already enough to avoid getting zero televotes. Your British Damiano.
This. Also, they have many fans in German-speaking countries as well as in Ex-Soviet ones.

That said, Hurts have been struggling lately. They just cancelled their tour (and it's just partly Covid-19-related). Unfortunately, Theo has been suffering from depression for a while now and they almost broke up before their latest album's release.
Personally, I think that Eurovision and all the pressure and exposure around it would make Theo suffer even more.

BBC had its chance to get a surefire Top 3 placing with Hurts back in 2011. Or even after that year....I guess, now it's too late and this will never be happening.

ag89

What about Birdy?
So many options.

Btw, I think we need a new award called "Anouk award" for a country that suddenly does well. We have Barbara Dex, I propose Anouk. :LOL:

rasmuslights

Veteran
What about Birdy?
So many options.

Btw, I think we need a new award called "Anouk award" for a country that suddenly does well. We have Barbara Dex, I propose Anouk. :LOL:

I think Bulgaria got one for Poli Genova in 2016, Portugal for Salvador in 2017, Mikolas Josef for CZ in 2018 and Michela for Malta in 2019!:)

rasmuslights

Veteran
What about Birdy?
So many options.

Birdy probably wouldn't do it tho :(

GWTW1939

And this is where the self sabotage cause they don't want to win theory gains it's credibility. Cause seriously just how, why, would anyone think Humperdinck was better then The Hurts????

Even worse was 2010 when they passed on Katie Muela and "The Flood" for Pete Waterman. WHY!?!? At least Humperdinck had a pretty song (unfortunately got killed by the horrible running order). There was nothing redeemable about "That Sounds Good to Me."

rasmuslights

Veteran
And this is where the self sabotage cause they don't want to win theory gains it's credibility. Cause seriously just how, why, would anyone think Humperdinck was better then The Hurts????

Even worse was 2010 when they passed on Katie Muela and "The Flood" for Pete Waterman. WHY!?!? At least Humperdinck had a pretty song (unfortunately got killed by the horrible running order). There was nothing redeemable about "That Sounds Good to Me."

wait Katie Melua tried to represent UK omg?

hijirio

Veteran
Unpopular Opinion: internally select Frock Destroyers please please pretty puh-leaaaaaaaase

Top Bottom