• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainshow

Veteran
2TONE – Квітка 5/10
Interesting choice. It feels quite "contemporary" and I like the flow of the rap in the second verse but I don´t like the radio-friendly rock/pop production of the song. The song is clearly not competitive at all.

Angelina – Stronger 2/10
I like the pre-chorus and the song seems to have a great message but the chorus is too repetitive and annoying. The production of the verses sounds a bit unfinished to me(?). The song´s production is really basic and generic.

DEMCHUK – «Alive» 6/10
Incredible tone of his voice. The chorus reminds me of a basic song performed by an average boyband, though.

FIINKA – «Довбуш» 7/10
Finally, a song which would be more distinctive on a Eurovision scale. It´s another mixture of innovative, modern sounds and quite a lot of ethnic elements. The final part of the song could work so well at Eurovision (pacing). However, I think that the song could have lift to another level by a better production - even though it has a lot of elements, it feels a bit unpolished and a few elements needs to be highlighted to make people actually remember the song´s melody. It´s too disjointed.

Jerry Heil – «WHEN GOD SHUT THE DOOR» 9/10
This is not the case here!!! Heil´s song is incredible (even though the producition still needs to be polished a bit) - I didn´t expect her to come here to slay but dunno, it´s such a serve! It´s emotional and compelling. I love the "opera parts" which were a huge surprise - you´ve got a rap part which feels more natural and authentic than the one we got in Alina Pash´s entry last year.

KRUTЬ – «Колискова» 10/10
Goosebumps. Absolutely gorgeous and hauntingly beautiful. The atmopshere is a bit eerie but also makes you long for more. Incredible... This could end up being the next "Rändajad", imo. A pure masterpiece which would create a unique moment on stage in Liverpool, for sure!

Moisei – «I'm Not Alone» 5/10
This could have been an entry by Norway finishing #20 in the end. I like the viola parts but the instrumental accompanying his solo parts distract me.. the chorus is quite messy and generic at the same time. I have mixed feelings about this.

OY Sound System – «Ой, тужу» 6/10
Impressive intro which drags a bit, though. It´s basically one third of the song. They need a very theatrical, dramatic and impressive staging to make it more memorable. It has no replay value, though.

Tember Blanche – «Я вдома» 5/10
Alright - again, not really competitive.
It´s cute but totally forgettable.

TVORCHI – «Heart Of Steel» 4/10
Meh. Some parts are quite fresh but dunno, I think it´s utterly bland and not really memorable at all.

All in all - and I´m sorry to say this - it´s one of the worst Vidbir finals in recent years. Most of the songs aren´t competitive at all - there are a few highlights, though (Jerry Heil & KRUTЬ) but most of the songs sound basic, even a bit too vanilla.

Kudos to Ukraine for putting up a national final whilst facing acts of genocide and an imperial war - that´s a great effort - but I just feel that the overall quality has massivel dropped; most songs sound either unpolished...

My Top 3:
#1 KRUTЬ
#2 Jerry Heil
#3 FINKA (is desperately in need of a revamp)

I honestly don´t care about the other songs but I could see OY Sound System turn out to be a surprise if they come up with a very impressive and "outta this world experience like" performance.

Realest

FIINKA – «Довбуш» 7.4/10
KRUTЬ – «Колискова» 7.2/10
2TONE – Квітка 7.0/10
OY Sound System – «Ой, тужу» 6.5/10
Tember Blanche – «Я вдома» 5.7/10
TVORCHI – «Heart Of Steel» 5.3/10
Jerry Heil – «WHEN GOD SHUT THE DOOR» 5.1/10
Angelina – Stronger 5.0/10
DEMCHUK – «Alive» 4.5/10
Moisei – «I'm Not Alone» 4.3/10

AlekS

Veteran
Producers said unofficially that regardless of which song wins, there will be a revamp.

Knowing Jerry she will make a revamp 4sure. It's 2:28 long.
I xheart her song.

My faves:

1. Jerry Heil
2. FIINKA
3. Moisei

Last edited:

njdevils94

Veteran
Producers said unofficially that regardless of which song wins, there will be a revamp.

Knowing Jerry she will make a revamp 4sure. It's 2:28 long.
I xheart her song.
Hard to see Jamala and Taras not puttig it first if she performs it and stages it well. Also I agree it will add 30 seconds if she wins.

Looren

Veteran
Let's gooo

1. Angelina - Stronger : Gorgeous song, definitely my fave of this NF
4. KRUTЬ – Колискова : Powerful ending, some parts I like a bit less, quality song
5. 2TONE - Квітка : I like this overall, good song even if am not feeling the rap
8. Moisei - I'm Not Alone : Usually I quite like some basic song but gosh, this is bland
9. OY Sound System – Ой, тужу : I like the vocal parts but the beat is just awful imo
10. TVORCHI – Heart Of Steel : Oh gosh sooooo bland

Mainshow

Veteran
Okay this is rather a disappointing choice ... yes I have two faves, but the rest is quite forgettable. :(

To make it short, KRUTb and Jerry Heil are the only songs I like, but even these didn't make a sudden impact on me. Need to listen to these again.

These two entries are the only ones which are of the same "quality" of recent Ukrainian entries in terms of originality, memorability and uniqueness. They would clearly stand out in May.

Personally, I think that KRUTb could create a moment on stage. She will be playing the Bandura and could re-create the song´s eerie and hauntingly beautiful atmosphere. Sandwhiched in between up-tempo songs, it could be a stellar performance and an "effortless" contender for a Top 5 result, imo (like Estonia 2009 which just missed the Top 5 because it was a way too competitive year).

But yeah, I agree with you... The rest of the entries sound either basic/vanilla, too unpolished and demo-ish or are not competitive at all (even if they try to be artsy-fartsy without really making a (musical) statement like OY Sound System)

AlekS

Veteran
Our eurofan community voted like this:

1. Jerry Heil - 44%
2. TVORCHI - 19%
3. KRUTЬ - 10%
4. FIINKA - 6%
5. Oy Sound System - 6%
6. 2Tone - 5%
7. Moisei - 3%
8. Tember Blanche - 2%
9. DEMCHUK - 2%
10. Angelina - 2%

HayashiM

Veteran
It's so clearly a KRUTЬ vs Jerry Heil duel, isn't it? Yes, these two are my faves as well, though in current form I like KRUTЬ better and I think it is the better choice because of the moment it creates. Колискова also feels very solid regarding potential ESC result. Of course, I would be thrilled with Jerry Heil as well.

My third is FIINKA, the song is not my usual style but very groovy. Honorary mention to Moisei who is indeed very vanilla, but I really like what he does there (except for singing about Christmas which feels nice now but would be probably weird in May). However, I don't think either of the two would be a good choice for ESC.

I am not really feeling the rest on the first replay.

AlekS

Veteran
If Jerry wins I'm so gonna cry and rock out at the same time during her song on Eurovision :lol:

Tvorchi in second place is a choice.
That particular community loves them in general, so the real results might be Fiinka, KrutЬ and Tvorchi fighting for that televoting #2. Moisei could be a dark horse.

mauve

Veteran
Personally, I think that KRUTb could create a moment on stage. She will be playing the Bandura and could re-create the song´s eerie and hauntingly beautiful atmosphere.
That's exactly what I was imagining when I listened to the song. Definitely a song that could give you goosebumps.

Maybe we are too spolied though since the past Vidbirs gave us so many fantastic songs. ;)

Kam2

All in all - and I´m sorry to say this - it´s one of the worst Vidbir finals in recent years. Most of the songs aren´t competitive at all - there are a few highlights, though (Jerry Heil & KRUTЬ) but most of the songs sound basic, even a bit too vanilla.
Vidbir 2017 with dull rock song, generic teen idol and Tayanna’s unlistenable screamfest all finishing in top 3 would like to argue.
IMHO as long as juries do their job and kill Demchuk and Angelina we will have a good original entry.

Top Bottom